Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

budget airlines across the atlantic

budget airlines across the atlantic

Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: budget airlines across the atlantic

About cheaptrips.com - has anyone actually used them and are they any good? $39 membership sounds pretty good for the free flights alone, but we've got caught up in some of these kind of things before so I'm a bit wary...
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenster
About cheaptrips.com - has anyone actually used them and are they any good? $39 membership sounds pretty good for the free flights alone, but we've got caught up in some of these kind of things before so I'm a bit wary...
I belong to CheapTrips. The free flight thing is almost a scam--it is not just some tickets you can use any way you want, it is tickets with a package deal involving hotel that you have to pay for yourself. You can only fly to certain resorts and you have to book nights in certain hotels to take advantage of the "free flights."

On the other hand, CheapTrips is a good deal in other respects. They have a lot of cheap airfares, and connections to courier companies that allow members to fly very cheaply to many international destinations. And some perks if you book airfare or hotels through them, like emergency funds if you get in trouble on a trip. I have had some good luck finding good deals like cheaper flights to and from Las Vegas.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, as far as San Francisco is concerned, Icelandair have cancelled their service. I don't think they fly to anywhere on the west coast at the moment (?).

Only direct flights from England to SF are Virgin, BA and United. The problem in doing it in multiple legs these days is that all those per-leg taxes/charges mount up. Plus, you are risking weather-related delays if you change at a northern US or Canadian airport during the winter. Having said that, one option for cheaper tickets that's worked for me in the past has been getting consolidated tickets on Air Canada via Toronto.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lauriejane
I belong to CheapTrips. The free flight thing is almost a scam--it is not just some tickets you can use any way you want, it is tickets with a package deal involving hotel that you have to pay for yourself. You can only fly to certain resorts and you have to book nights in certain hotels to take advantage of the "free flights."

On the other hand, CheapTrips is a good deal in other respects. They have a lot of cheap airfares, and connections to courier companies that allow members to fly very cheaply to many international destinations. And some perks if you book airfare or hotels through them, like emergency funds if you get in trouble on a trip. I have had some good luck finding good deals like cheaper flights to and from Las Vegas.
Thanks, I suspected it might be such a thing. I'll keep it in mind anyway for the other perks. Got to move to the US first...but that's another story!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenster
Thanks, I suspected it might be such a thing. I'll keep it in mind anyway for the other perks. Got to move to the US first...but that's another story!
Where are you now? In the UK? And where in the U.S. are you planning to move?