Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

budget airlines across the atlantic

Wikiposts

budget airlines across the atlantic

Old Nov 8th 2006, 2:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: budget airlines across the atlantic

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Seems like a lot of work. Would that really work out cheaper?

No idea....didn't check but it's an option.

My sister came out to visit us and she and her husband flew over with Air India as it was incredibly cheap.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 2:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: budget airlines across the atlantic

Originally Posted by canada_sept_06
Sorry about the question, but it's my first time flying to US. What do you mean "clear US immigration and customs"?

By the way, thank you again.
All international flights arriving into the US land at airports with customs and immigration services. They are known as Ports of Entry (POE). When your flight arrives from say, Paris, London, Tel Aviv and you walk off the plane, you will go straight into an immigration hall. You will have to show your passport and proof that you have a visa (if necessary).

By the way, British passport holders on leisure trips of 90 days or less usually don't need a visa and enter on a 'Visa Waiver'....they complete a green coloured I-94W form issued by the airline or cruise line.

After leaving the immigration hall - assuming you've been admitted into the US - then you have to go and collect any luggage if necessary and everyone has to hand in a customs declaration form to the customs officer....ie. you have to declare if you're bringing in more than $10,000 in cash, fruit and veg, plants, meat etc.

If you are then transferring to a domestic flight you then re-check your luggage (they have special luggage transfer desks for this).

I do have to point out though that there are a couple of exceptions where you can clear US immigration (and customs I think) before arriving in the US. They have US immigration staff posted there. I understand this is at Shannon in the Irish republic, don't know all the airlines flying to the US but I know that Aer Lingus, Continental and I think American Airlines has some flights going through Shannon.

This is also the case in Canada....I don't know if this is done at all Canadian airports but certainly I've done so at Vancouver.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:00 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Maxjet and Eos are small airlines crossing the Atlantic with all seats being business class ie. having dedicated lounges at the airports and the larger seats and cabin space in the plane as on the major airlines.

These aircraft do not have other cabins ie. First, Economy Plus or Economy - the whole cabin is business class. For example, my husband flew in Club class on a BA flight to London last month from Newark to work at his company's HQ in London (he kindly let me have his seat on the return trip and he sat in my economy seat LOL - the trip coincided with my cousin's wedding) and it cost $5127.

Maxjet flies from JFK to Stansted and the business class fare would have been approx $1500 (sometimes they have an offer going on, I've seen prices of $999 round trip).

However...their fleet is tiny and if there is a mechanical problem, they don't have any extra planes to put into service so you are likely to be stranded for some time.

Here's the info on Eos and Maxjet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos_Airlines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAXjet_Airways

and next January a new airline, 'Silverjet' will be flying between Luton airport and Newark, NJ (New York metro area). Business class flights will initially cost $999:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverjet
Interesting - thanks
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This is also the case in Canada....I don't know if this is done at all Canadian airports but certainly I've done so at Vancouver.
don't forget Dublin...and a few others...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...r_preclearance
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by canada_sept_06
Hi there,

Anybody knows of the cheapest ways to cross the atlantic from London to San Francisco? The only two that I've found so far are British Airways and Virgin, however both of them are quite expensive to spend New Year's Eve in San Francisco. I was also thinking of travelling through Canada with Zoom airlines but does not seem to fly around those dates. Any help please? Thanks.
Virgin and Continental do a shared flight from SFO to LHR. The carrier is Virgin. It is worth checking the same Virgin flight out and seeing what the price on the Continental website! It has worked well for me in the past!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There aren't any...it's a long flight, going to be expensive...

but you could try iceland jobby with a stop off there and flying into montreal and connect again from there, or from within the US...
We normally use BA or Virgin but recently did a search and found that Icelandair had the best deals.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:22 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
We normally use BA or Virgin but recently did a search and found that Icelandair had the best deals.
Jaysus - just checked their site - that's deadly - super cheap.
Their routes aren't much use to me, but how long have they been around for ??
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:47 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
they have been around for years, very profitable. But you do have to go via Iceland when flying with them. and they do good deals as well.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:53 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
they have been around for years, very profitable. But you do have to go via Iceland when flying with them. and they do good deals as well.
They don't hang around - their flight from Minn to London is only 10.5 hours with the stop - I could almost use them and tack on a sleazyjet flight to get where I want to go in the UK if they flew from an airport closer to me in the US.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:03 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

They don't hang around - their flight from Minn to London is only 10.5 hours with the stop - I could almost use them and tack on a sleazyjet flight to get where I want to go in the UK if they flew from an airport closer to me in the US.
no - it's a good time. Just be aware when you fly in the winter and the weather is extra bad and they can't land in Iceland they usually land in Glasgow (but sometimes they will fly straight back to Iceland with all the people still in board to get the flight back to London) don't you love how idiotic some airline practices are
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

been doing the rounds for donkeys, they do a cheap flight to montreal if you can make it there cheaply....don't know about toronto...had a mate do the flight a few times, broke it up with a weekend hop in iceland.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:04 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bob
been doing the rounds for donkeys, they do a cheap flight to montreal if you can make it there cheaply....don't know about toronto...had a mate do the flight a few times, broke it up with a weekend hop in iceland.
I suppose I've never noticed them before cos they don't cover any of my routes - do look pretty damn good though.
You ever used them ??
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I suppose I've never noticed them before cos they don't cover any of my routes - do look pretty damn good though.
You ever used them ??
I don't have a need, my sister works for BA, so when she pulls her finger out, she can get me a ticket for $100...but I know 3 people that have used them to get to the US, one couple that did it a couple times, with a weekend break in iceland, they went via montreal and connected to San Fran.

When I had to fly in to the US, I'd often go via Montreal, it's the same 4.5 hour drive to maine as Logon, but airport is much nicer, less taxes, quicker to clear customs etc...and generally a hell of a lot cheaper, I know people that would fly to Montreal or Toronto and then get a connecting flight to the US from there as it would be a lot quicker and cheaper than dealing with the hassle of Logon airport and the pain of driving out of that place afterwards.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:13 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bob]I don't have a need, my sister works for BA, so when she pulls her finger out, she can get me a ticket for $100...

I would just like to say, what lovely people you and your sister are Bob, and I think I love you both

This has absolutely nothing to do with that fact that your sister works for BA, and its the only airline that flies direct from Phoenix to Heathrow, honestly it hasn't
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sambuc
I would just like to say, what lovely people you and your sister are Bob, and I think I love you both

This has absolutely nothing to do with that fact that your sister works for BA, and its the only airline that flies direct from Phoenix to Heathrow, honestly it hasn't
hehe

shame it's BA really, as they only allow discount for immediate family only, so parents, your own kids, spouse and siblings....no in-laws or anything like that, and certainly no friends, Virgin apart from larger scope for family, could have 6 other random friends get the discount...and they were proper tickets instead of BA's standby tickets, which are pretty shite...but beggars can't be to choosy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.