Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Budget airline UK to US

Budget airline UK to US

Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Budget airline UK to US

I don't have a BA credit card, I just signed up on the website a while back and collect points from the flights and online shopping. Also from occasional currency exchange on there too.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jtb87
I tend to login to BA's website when I do some online shopping in order to get air miles. In June me and my wife traveled between Baltimore and London for £271 on BA. I have found with BA that sometimes if you buy 2 sets of one way tickets using air miles that it can work out even cheaper than buying the return tickets with air miles. On those flights because of the air miles they increased our baggage allowances to 2 suitcases each.
Similar with Delta Skymiles, online shopping, dining, hotel stays all linked to Delta Skymiles account, got up to Gold status, 2 checked bags, priority boarding, lounge access and Economy comfort seating.
Well worth it if flying regular
Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jtb87
I don't have a BA credit card, I just signed up on the website a while back and collect points from the flights and online shopping. Also from occasional currency exchange on there too.
I did sign up for the Chase BA card during the summer when they were offering 50k bonus miles. I think the deal is you get 1.5 miles ("Avios points") for every dollar spent on general purchases and 2.5 points for every dollar spent on BA flights. Alos, currently BA are doing 10% off all flights bought with their card if you purchase and fly by the end of the year.

I'm now just a few hundred points shy of enough points for me and OH to be able to upgrade a class in both directions next time we head Blightywards together. This is where the BA points are worthwhile IMO. Depending on the difference in cost of class this can be a very good deal - it looks to me that buying Premium Economy and points upgrading to business is the best deal.

Last edited by rpjs; Oct 31st 2014 at 3:57 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

The FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community website is a great source for all things mileage and points related.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs

- it looks to me that buying Premium Economy and points upgrading to business is the best deal.
This is exactly what we do.

We also get the free companion flight every year for spending $30k on the card.
The companion flight I think has a time limit to use it. Have 2 showing on our BA account at the moment and had one removed that we didn't use.