British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Budget for 2 adults living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/budget-2-adults-living-2-bedroom-apartment-santa-monica-759610/)

newlifeinparadise May 26th 2012 3:50 pm

Budget for 2 adults living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica

Hi all,
I see that there are various discussions over the cost of things - but so far haven't seen one relevant to my location and I am learning that the questions have very location specific answers...So my question...

My husband and I are moving to a 2 bedroom apartment in a large block in Santa Monica, California.

I am budgeting the following each MONTH (excluding rent) and just wanted to get some feedback from people living around there or who know the costs.

Some of my estimates are based on research so are more accurate than others - for example, car parking and insurance are two areas I have no idea of costs.

elec/gas $100

2 mobiles $100 (both iphone contracts/payg - each with data, around 500 mins, some texts - excluding the cost of the phone)

Landline exc calls/ High speed Broadband/ TV service like netflix $100

gym membership for 1 of us $80 (just want to do cardio in a/c and swim locally)

gas (I have no idea how far we will drive but mostly just locally - no commuting - how many miles would we get for this amount in a midsize car?) $30

car insurance for 2 people - the equivalent of full comp $150

renters insurance $20

parking (I will just be parking locally on errands, exploring the area) $90

On top of these, there is the rent, food, health insurance, health co-pays, medication, eating out, entertainment, hair/beauty, clothing.

Anything obvious I've missed? and any feedback on these figures?

Am I right in thinking there is no equivalent of council tax for renters? (Property owners pay taxes annually?)

Thanks for your help. :fingerscrossed:

Noorah101 May 26th 2012 4:08 pm

Re: Budget for 2 adults living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica

Originally Posted by newlifeinparadise (Post 10083458)
gas (I have no idea how far we will drive but mostly just locally - no commuting - how many miles would we get for this amount in a midsize car?) $30

I think you'll find that "locally" will still rack up miles on the car, unless you have means to get grocery shopping and errands done by foot or by bus. I'm in Arizona, and I drive 20 miles round trip for work 5 days a week, which I know is different to what you have in mind. I have a Honda Accord and spend about $120 a month in gas. I think the price of gas in CA is higher than AZ, so if you do even half the driving I do per month, you're looking at about $60 a month for gas.

Rene

MoshiMoshi May 26th 2012 4:43 pm

We live in a 1-bedroom east of Santa Monica (by the 405).

elec/gas $100

We just have electricity. I think we pay about $40/m.

2 mobiles $100 (both iphone contracts/payg - each with data, around 500 mins, some texts - excluding the cost of the phone)

We pay $75/m ($45 + $30) for 2 Straight Talk phones: one a smartphone with unlimited data etc, the other a shitty flip-phone. I'd be impressed if you could get 2 iPhone deals for $100/month. Let me know if you do!

We got a good deal with Time Warner at first - $90/m for landline, TV and internet. Unfortunately, once the special offer period ran out, it's been getting more and more expensive. I think it's $130 or $140/m now. The internet is excellent, the TV is pretty good, but I think we might drop the landline. We never pay for local calls, but can't dial internationally without a calling card. We receive incoming international calls but don't seem to get charged for them.

We also pay about $8/m for Netflix.

We don't use our car for commuting, either, and we walk to the supermarket. On months where we mostly use it for weekends at the beach, $30 is fine. Anything more ambitious and we pay more.

renters insurance $20

Car insurance for one person, somewhere between 3rd party and fully comp, plus renter's insurance, costs me $70/m.

On top of these, there is the rent, food, health insurance, health co-pays, medication, eating out, entertainment, hair/beauty, clothing.

I assume, since you asked about co-pays, you'll have health insurance.

We pay about $25/m for water and trash fees. Some apartment complexes include them.

Are you going to be using the Big Blue Bus in Santa Monica? You can get a monthly pass for $60, or just pay $1/trip.

Obviously, if health insurance is already covered, rent is going to be the biggest expense. We pay $1500/m for a furnished one-bedroom in an apartment complex. I think we're about 4 miles east of Santa Monica.

Hope this helps! Santa Monica is lovely.

newlifeinparadise May 26th 2012 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10083474)
I think you'll find that "locally" will still rack up miles on the car, unless you have means to get grocery shopping and errands done by foot or by bus.
Rene

I think there are plenty of places to walk to in the area we will live, so I won't need to drive too much but yes, I'm sure miles rack up - compared to the UK where everything is local!

Sally Redux May 26th 2012 4:49 pm

$30 for gas sounds very low but I suppose if you only do local stuff maybe.

You might want to check if water and trash pickup are included in your rent.

newlifeinparadise May 26th 2012 4:53 pm

@Moshimoshi Thanks for the reply - really helpful.

"Car insurance for one person, somewhere between 3rd party and fully comp, plus renter's insurance, costs me $70/m."

Can you tell me a good website for getting car insurance quote comparisons?

"I assume, since you asked about co-pays, you'll have health insurance."

Yes we have good health insurance, the copays are minimal.

Bob May 26th 2012 5:30 pm

I'd say anyone would be happy if they were spending that a week, going no where.

Other factors to consider should be start up deposit costs, for pretty much everything. Can be anything from $50-600, which you might or might not get back. If you don't have one per utility call it a bonus but be prepared for it and not shocked if you have to stump for it.

If you're running iPhones, with data, expect to pay a lot more because you don't have credit history. Unless speed isn't a priority and you faff around with PAYG simcard.

Insurance sites are also meaningless. You can go to all of them and get rough quotes but they won't be what you pay, because you don't have credit history nor US driving history. Rates will depend exactly on the vin of the car and things that can affect the rate include off street parking, alarms, short commute etc. First year, for a new car with decent cover be prepared for $1K per 6 months and be happy if it is less. It'll be much less if you don't get higher levels of cover or get a second hand car and it'll go down once you've got a years worth of credit history as well as driving history.

md95065 May 26th 2012 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10083550)
I'd say anyone would be happy if they were spending that a week, going no where.

I am pretty sure that I have burned $30 worth of gas in a week in LA just while sitting stuck in traffic on the 405 ... :(

Bob May 26th 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10083575)
I am pretty sure that I have burned $30 worth of gas in a week in LA just while sitting stuck in traffic on the 405 ... :(

:lol: so quite literally going no where in that case :D

It is scary how much you end up driving in this country. The missus doesn't work that far from home and apart from that, the car mostly only for grocery shop, but we're still doing 1K a month at least.

I'm just glad I'm not FIL, as he does more than that a week, just to and from work :lol:

MoshiMoshi May 26th 2012 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by newlifeinparadise (Post 10083515)

Can you tell me a good website for getting car insurance quote comparisons?

I don't know any comparison sites, unfortunately. We already had renter's insurance with State Farm, so it was a good deal to bundle car insurance too. Also, there's a State Farm office by our supermarket, so I could go in and talk with them. Do get your driving record from the DVLA; if it's clean, you'll probably get a discount.

I got quotes from 4 other companies, too. Be prepared to give them absolutely masses of information, and for them to email and call you several times afterwards, still trying to sell.

Re: the driving question, I do think that Santa Monica is one of those rare LA neighbourhoods where you can do a lot of stuff on foot -- shopping, cinema, eating out. Getting elsewhere in LA is going to require a drive, but if you're initially happy to stay local then I don't think you'd necessarily rack up a lot of miles at first. You might get bored eventually! Also, if you have friends who live out of Santa Monica, your social life is car-dependent. Taxis here are generally expensive and rubbish.

We did manage 10 months without a car in LA, but I was very glad to get wheels in the end. I know the general rule of thumb is that you're going to drive a lot in America, especially in LA. That's totally true, but I just want to put it out there that lots of people manage to get by with less.

I really like the atmosphere in Santa Monica. Where we live, we only have a strip-mall and a dive bar nearby, and if you want to do anything fun you have to drive. I was back in Bristol the other month and realized how much I miss wandering around places like Clifton.

vikingsail May 26th 2012 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10083575)

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I think $30 a week in LA is unrealistic. More like 50 - 60. Thats my use and I take public transport to work.

scrubbedexpat097 May 26th 2012 9:59 pm

Hi all,
I see that there are various discussions over the cost of things - but so far haven't seen one relevant to my location and I am learning that the questions have very location specific answers...So my question...

My husband and I are moving to a 2 bedroom apartment in a large block in Santa Monica, California.

I am budgeting the following each MONTH (excluding rent) and just wanted to get some feedback from people living around there or who know the costs.

Some of my estimates are based on research so are more accurate than others - for example, car parking and insurance are two areas I have no idea of costs.

elec/gas $100

:

Does your apartment complex have a small Gym area?

Sally Redux May 27th 2012 12:11 am

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 10083805)
:thumbsup::thumbsup: I think $30 a week in LA is unrealistic. More like 50 - 60. Thats my use and I take public transport to work.

I think she actually means a month, for 2 cars.

newlifeinparadise May 27th 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks all for your comments so far.

Clearly I've got to rethink our gas spending. Although in Santa Monica, it is not impossible to do everything on foot or on my bike.

We will have just 1 car - midsize.

In the UK, it currently costs me around 18 pence per mile in petrol to drive my car, which has a 1.4 litre engine.

How much does gas cost per mile in CA for a mid size car?

N1cky May 27th 2012 9:03 pm

Hi all,

elec/gas $100

renters insurance $20

parking (I will just be parking locally on errands, exploring the area) $90

Am I right in thinking there is no equivalent of council tax for renters? (Property owners pay taxes annually?)

Thanks for your help. :fingerscrossed:

Can't see you getting 2 iphone contracts for $100 unless one of you is gettign a very good discount through work. We get discounts, and pay around $140 per month.

No way will $30 a month be enough for gas, even just running around locally, you will sit in traffic in SM and burn that off easily. Lots of places in SM do first 2 hours free parking, so for errands you shouldn't need $90 per month for parking.

The one thing I can see you are missing is 'living' presumably you want to explore your new environment, go to museums, eat out, cinema, see the sights... All costs money, and in particular gas.

Bob May 27th 2012 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by newlifeinparadise (Post 10085251)
Clearly I've got to rethink our gas spending. Although in Santa Monica, it is not impossible to do everything on foot or on my bike.

The question is, will you really want to when it's so bloody hot out?

Going for a run in the early morning etc won't be a problem, but lugging the groceries around will be a ball ache.

Leyther May 27th 2012 10:11 pm

Hi all,

renters insurance $20

Cell phone plans for an Iphone with data is going to be more like $200 per month and since you have no credit history, expect to pay a deposit of $200-$500 per phone and be tied into a 2 year contract.

Most people I know do not even have landline phones and simply use their cell-phone. However cable TV/internet packages can be found for $100-$160 (depending on the company and package/extras you want) per month. Be were of the low introductory offers since they will increase after 3-6 months and usually come with a 2 year contract. Add Netflix on top of this.

Gas, I would consider a budget of around $80-$120 per month. My wife and I both have SUV's and probably spend $30 (each) in gas per week.

Renters insurance may be a little lower, our renter's insurance is only $120 a year for a 2 bedroom house and when we had an 1 bedroom apartment it was only $80 per year.

Other costs that may apply: water & trash. Also don't forget to include deposits on rental property (usually one months rent), cell phones, utilities (water, gas, electric) & your cable/internet due to your low/zero credit.

Noorah101 May 28th 2012 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by newlifeinparadise (Post 10085251)
How much does gas cost per mile in CA for a mid size car?

How much gas you use per mile totally depends on the type of car, and whether you do fast highway driving or slower in-town driving. For example, in my Honda Accord, doing mostly in-town (surface roads, not freeway) driving, I get about 25 miles per gallon. Gas in Phoenix is about $3.75 per gallon. I think it's higher in California.

My husband spends most of his time in West Hollywood, and he doesn't drive...he walks or takes the bus (takes a taxi to and from the airport whenever he flies home to Phoenix). He's managed that way for 8 years, but it does get to be a pain because he can't go much beyond the bus line routes, unless he has a friend drive him around.

Rene

newlifeinparadise May 28th 2012 5:40 pm

[QUOTE=Noorah101;10086593] How much gas you use per mile totally depends on the type of car, and whether you do fast highway driving or slower in-town driving. For example, in my Honda Accord, doing mostly in-town (surface roads, not freeway) driving, I get about 25 miles per gallon. Gas in Phoenix is about $3.75 per gallon. I think it's higher in California.

Ok, it's good to have a rough idea thanks. It sounds like gas is cheaper stateside than UK, but will likely need to drive more so it probably all balances out. In the UK, I drive around 50 miles per month - not far at all!

Bob made a good point - that it will be hot to walk around, I'd much rather be in the car with a/c on! Though I am pretty scared about the driving :unsure: - mostly the freeways. It will be my first time driving on the other side of the road but I guess I will get used to it fairly quickly. I'm wondering if I can purchase some sort of "Sorry, I'm British" bumper sticker to excuse any faux pas...:D

Bob May 28th 2012 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by newlifeinparadise (Post 10086910)
...It will be my first time driving on the other side of the road but I guess I will get used to it fairly quickly. I'm wondering if I can purchase some sort of "Sorry, I'm British" bumper sticker to excuse any faux pas...:D

I wouldn't worry about it, no one would notice the difference between all the other shit drivers on the road :D

jennarandhayes Jun 11th 2012 11:04 pm

When you are ready to look for an apartment check out Craigslist.com: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sea...sk=&bedrooms=1
It's like a better gumtree!

Besides the gas budget needing to be higher (our engines are much bigger), I think that you can get a gym membership for less. Look for discounts through your employer and look out for specials through corporate gyms. x