Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Budget for 2 adults living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica

Budget for 2 adults living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica

Old May 27th 2012, 10:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for 2 adults living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica

Originally Posted by newlifeinparadise
Clearly I've got to rethink our gas spending. Although in Santa Monica, it is not impossible to do everything on foot or on my bike.
The question is, will you really want to when it's so bloody hot out?

Going for a run in the early morning etc won't be a problem, but lugging the groceries around will be a ball ache.
Old May 27th 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Hi all,

2 mobiles $100 (both iphone contracts/payg - each with data, around 500 mins, some texts - excluding the cost of the phone)

Landline exc calls/ High speed Broadband/ TV service like netflix $100

gas (I have no idea how far we will drive but mostly just locally - no commuting - how many miles would we get for this amount in a midsize car?) $30

renters insurance $20

Anything obvious I've missed? and any feedback on these figures?
Cell phone plans for an Iphone with data is going to be more like $200 per month and since you have no credit history, expect to pay a deposit of $200-$500 per phone and be tied into a 2 year contract.

Most people I know do not even have landline phones and simply use their cell-phone. However cable TV/internet packages can be found for $100-$160 (depending on the company and package/extras you want) per month. Be were of the low introductory offers since they will increase after 3-6 months and usually come with a 2 year contract. Add Netflix on top of this.

Gas, I would consider a budget of around $80-$120 per month. My wife and I both have SUV's and probably spend $30 (each) in gas per week.

Renters insurance may be a little lower, our renter's insurance is only $120 a year for a 2 bedroom house and when we had an 1 bedroom apartment it was only $80 per year.

Other costs that may apply: water & trash. Also don't forget to include deposits on rental property (usually one months rent), cell phones, utilities (water, gas, electric) & your cable/internet due to your low/zero credit.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How much does gas cost per mile in CA for a mid size car?
How much gas you use per mile totally depends on the type of car, and whether you do fast highway driving or slower in-town driving. For example, in my Honda Accord, doing mostly in-town (surface roads, not freeway) driving, I get about 25 miles per gallon. Gas in Phoenix is about $3.75 per gallon. I think it's higher in California.

My husband spends most of his time in West Hollywood, and he doesn't drive...he walks or takes the bus (takes a taxi to and from the airport whenever he flies home to Phoenix). He's managed that way for 8 years, but it does get to be a pain because he can't go much beyond the bus line routes, unless he has a friend drive him around.

Rene
Old May 28th 2012, 5:40 pm
Lots of questions to ask!

newlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nice

[QUOTE=Noorah101;10086593] How much gas you use per mile totally depends on the type of car, and whether you do fast highway driving or slower in-town driving. For example, in my Honda Accord, doing mostly in-town (surface roads, not freeway) driving, I get about 25 miles per gallon. Gas in Phoenix is about $3.75 per gallon. I think it's higher in California.

Ok, it's good to have a rough idea thanks. It sounds like gas is cheaper stateside than UK, but will likely need to drive more so it probably all balances out. In the UK, I drive around 50 miles per month - not far at all!

Bob made a good point - that it will be hot to walk around, I'd much rather be in the car with a/c on! Though I am pretty scared about the driving - mostly the freeways. It will be my first time driving on the other side of the road but I guess I will get used to it fairly quickly. I'm wondering if I can purchase some sort of "Sorry, I'm British" bumper sticker to excuse any faux pas...
Old May 28th 2012, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...It will be my first time driving on the other side of the road but I guess I will get used to it fairly quickly. I'm wondering if I can purchase some sort of "Sorry, I'm British" bumper sticker to excuse any faux pas...
I wouldn't worry about it, no one would notice the difference between all the other shit drivers on the road
Old Jun 11th 2012, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

jennarandhayes is an unknown quantity at this point

When you are ready to look for an apartment check out Craigslist.com: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sea...sk=&bedrooms=1
It's like a better gumtree!

Besides the gas budget needing to be higher (our engines are much bigger), I think that you can get a gym membership for less. Look for discounts through your employer and look out for specials through corporate gyms. x