Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bud - White trash, Bud lite - okay???

Bud - White trash, Bud lite - okay???

Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:05 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bud - White trash, Bud lite - okay???

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Whats the beef with trainers? I used to wear them all the time to go down my local why on earth would you get dressed up to have a pint with a couple of mates?
You wear trainers?? That's positively upper class. It's flip flops for me
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I do laugh when I see our local bars proudly displaying Heineken as a premium and expensive alternative.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:13 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
In my part of the world, drinking from the trough of the bland triumvirate (Bud, Miller and Coors) will generally merit snickers and a few laughs. We fancy ourselves as little sophisticates, which calls for us consuming a premium domestic or, at the very least, one of the lesser imports, such as Heineken. Not sure if we'd brand the Bud drinkers as white trash, but you would be quickly dismissed as having pretty poor taste.

On the other hand, one drinks a lite beer to reduce calorie intake, something we can embrace in the Land of the Perpetual (Failed) Diet. The import and premium domestic brewers have avoided the low-calorie beer market, so the only choices left in this category are the major domestics. So drinking a diet beer gets fewer nasty looks.

Then again, a 20-something guy might get a bit of abuse if he drank a low-cal beer. Seems that the light beers are primarily aimed at women and middle-aged men, many of whom are carting around fairly large sheds for their tools..
i don't think I've ever seen a 20 something guy here drink anything other light beers! it seems that the microbrew crowd seem to be in their thirties

also, becks light has been out for a while and when i was in tampa the other day their was heinekin light - haven't seen it anywhere else - what next? stella light?

i'm actually quite fascinated - what is a premium domestic brew?

i concur with a previous poster, with a choice I drink bud select, 2 reasons

1. Tastes fine
2. low cal (although not marketed as such)

Manc - if you think bud is pissy (not too keen - too sweet) then try rock green light or mich ultra

alcoholic mineral water if you ask me!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:15 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
You wear trainers?? That's positively upper class. It's flip flops for me
same here

only downside is that its difficult to drive my manual car home from the pub after 10 beers wearing flip flops - the clutch is a bugger
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:20 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
i'm actually quite fascinated - what is a premium domestic brew?
Off the cuff, I'd say choices such as Samuel Adams, Pyramid, Sierra Nevada, Pete's Wicked Ale, etc., etc. In other words, anything that is vaguely in the microbrew category and not among the big-name watery lagers or those excruciatingly bad blue collar beers (Busch, Pabst, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, etc.)

I guess that I should have pointed out that I'm in California. I think that the cheap domestics don't have the stigma in the Southeast that they do out here, and we do aspire to snob appeal.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:33 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Off the cuff, I'd say choices such as Samuel Adams, Pyramid, Sierra Nevada, Pete's Wicked Ale, etc., etc. In other words, anything that is vaguely in the microbrew category and not among the big-name watery lagers or those excruciatingly bad blue collar beers (Busch, Pabst, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, etc.)

I guess that I should have pointed out that I'm in California. I think that the cheap domestics don't have the stigma in the Southeast that they do out here, and we do aspire to snob appeal.
Do you have any Old Chicagos in Cali? They have a fantastic beer selection.

www.oldchicago.com
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:05 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I do laugh when I see our local bars proudly displaying Heineken as a premium and expensive alternative.

They do the same up here with Harp.
Makes Heiniken taste like Dom Perrignon in comparison.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:05 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Believe me the people I heard this from weren't twelve yr olds! and the comments were made about americans in general, what I originally posted seems to be a general rule around here - glad to see that not Americans are barking!
yeah Bud is known as Bubba's Beer...(white trash )...cos it's cheap I guess...I don't see why drinking light would make a difference though....
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:17 pm
Mr. Grumpy

aha - sorry i was being thick, i wasn't sure if pyramid etc were regional beers

i like pyramid and sierra nevada, but they are not really a session beer - 8 sierra nevadas and you will be on the floor. i often start the evening off with one or two for the flavour

Busch, PBR and 'the beast' are all minging... although some people who think they are far cooler than they really are in my area have started drinking PBR (not bubba 'types') very bizarre
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sarah
They do the same up here with Harp.
Makes Heiniken taste like Dom Perrignon in comparison.
Jesus Harp! Not drunk that p1ss in years. Does it still stay sharp to the bottom of the glass?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:30 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

No Old Chicagos out here, according to the website. Any place that carries Chimay is already a step ahead in my book.

Jesus Harp! Not drunk that p1ss in years. Does it still stay sharp to the bottom of the glass?
Funny, but we seem to think that Harp is a premium beer that is worth paying for. I've always thought it was pretty bland, but drinkable enough. Mixes reasonably well when put into a black-and-tan, I suppose.

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
although some people who think they are far cooler than they really are in my area have started drinking PBR (not bubba 'types') very bizarre
Actually, I've noticed that some of the disaffected twentysomething hipsters out here are also drinking Pabst. I think that it may be a retro trend, though, I wouldn't expect it to last. (Did this acquire hipness factor from a film or something?)
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:36 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

good gawd I remember that crappy ad!
Wouldn't drink that shite if you paid me. We also get Bass which is touted as an upper class beer. Next we'll be getting Carlsberg Special Brew being sold as a quality ale instead of tramp juice. I'll trade you Heinken for them anyday.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Funny, but we seem to think that Harp is a premium beer that is worth paying for. I've always thought it was pretty bland, but drinkable enough. Mixes reasonably well when put into a black-and-tan, I suppose.
I wouldnt worry about it...Bud and Coors are sold as premium foreign beers in the UK. Some lager louts think its cool to be seen with a Budweiser.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt worry about it...Bud and Coors are sold as premium foreign beers in the UK. Some lager louts think its cool to be seen with a Budweiser.
Which makes me piss myself laughing. What, did they run out of other lagers to try?

About ten years ago Carling Black Label, made in Canada, was a fashionable beer in Toronto. In the US we considered it on par with Busch -- the cheapest sh*t you could buy to get the job done.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:59 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I always thought Bass and Guinness were used to make a Black & Tan. Harp & Guinness would produce a Half 'n' Half.

I'm rather partial to Black & Blues myself - Guinness and Blue Moon - but it's difficult to find places that serve both on tap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.