British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bud - White trash, Bud lite - okay??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bud-white-trash-bud-lite-okay-332350/)

Nia_Nia Oct 19th 2005 1:19 pm

Bud - White trash, Bud lite - okay???

Can anybody explain to me why its deemed completely innapropriate for anybody who is not 'white trash' to drink Budweiser in this country, but absolutely fine to drink bud lite???? Whats the ****** difference?

I have also recently been informed that anyone who wears 'sneakers' to the pub is a low class trash bag too...

Whats the beef with trainers? I used to wear them all the time to go down my local why on earth would you get dressed up to have a pint with a couple of mates?

Any explanations of why Americans have these weird ideas would be much appreciated.

Manc Oct 19th 2005 1:24 pm

Re: Bud - White trash, Bud lite - okay???

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Whats the ****** difference?

nothing both taste of fizzy piss.

Chorlton Oct 19th 2005 1:24 pm

Can anybody explain to me why its deemed completely innapropriate for anybody who is not 'white trash' to drink Budweiser in this country, but absolutely fine to drink bud lite???? Whats the ****** difference?

I have also recently been informed that anyone who wears 'sneakers' to the pub is a low class trash bag too...

Whats the beef with trainers? I used to wear them all the time to go down my local why on earth would you get dressed up to have a pint with a couple of mates?

Any explanations of why Americans have these weird ideas would be much appreciated.

Whats the deal with light beers anyway? If you're going to drink, have a proper beer!! Everybody knows alcohol calories dont count :D

Nia_Nia Oct 19th 2005 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
nothing both taste of fizzy piss.

Very true! :D

britvic Oct 19th 2005 1:42 pm

Maybe they like to think there so called Pub's have a better class of clientele than the scruffy Bar's. But American's have a dress code, dont make me largh :rolleyes:

tinaflorida Oct 19th 2005 3:56 pm

Not come across any of this, personally.

Of course, I would much prefer to drink a nice pint of Stella or Kronie, but it's rare to find these on tap anywhere. Our favourite hangout does do Kronie bottles, but they're expensive so we often find ourselves drinking Bud Select. It's not the greatest but I've found it's one of the better domestic beers.

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 19th 2005 4:00 pm

I drink Orange Juice when out.

And down here shorts, T-Shirt and flip flops are de-riguer 365 days a year.

Leslie Oct 19th 2005 4:08 pm

The Americans that are socializing you sound like a bunch of complete nutters. :eek: Perhaps you should find some new friends.

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 19th 2005 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
The Americans that are socializing you sound like a bunch of complete nutters. :eek: Perhaps you should find some new friends.

She live up in PA....

Leslie Oct 19th 2005 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
She live up in PA....

I don't care. I've traveled/lived all over this country and I've never heard such a load of crap in my life. I'm not saying they didn't say it I just can't believe anybody with a half of a brain would take it seriously. Anybody who says and/or takes heed of that nonsense is surely as shallow as a puddle or a complete dimwit.

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 19th 2005 4:20 pm

I don't care. I've traveled/lived all over this country and I've never heard such a load of crap in my life. I'm not saying they didn't say it I just can't believe anybody with a half of a brain would take it seriously. Anybody who says and/or takes heed of that nonsense is surely as shallow as a puddle or a complete dimwit.

To be honest Ive never really come across it either. But Ive never been to PA so I cant say for there.

Leslie Oct 19th 2005 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
To be honest Ive never really come across it either. But Ive never been to PA so I cant say for there.

Well, I've been to PA and to that general region plenty. I can't believe that the posters on this forum who are in PA adhere to those ridiculous standards. :eek: Besides, the references were made to "this country" and "Americans" ....

Regardless, it's barking nonsense, no matter who said it or where they're from, unless of course they're 12 year olds.

NJ_Dave Oct 19th 2005 4:32 pm

I'll drink Bud in a bar if there is nothing better on offer, and I'm hardly what I'd call 'white trash'. And whoever told you that only WT wear trainers to the pub is obviously a pretentious snob with their head stuck up their ass. There are some bars here where it is the norm to wear jeans and trainers and there are bars where you are expected to dress up a little more, but that was exactly the same in the UK. So my view is that Americans don't have these weird ideas at all. Only the dick heads that you hang out with have these ideas.

Nia_Nia Oct 19th 2005 4:33 pm

Well, I've been to PA and to that general region plenty. I can't believe that the posters on this forum who are in PA adhere to those ridiculous standards. :eek: Besides, the references were made to "this country" and "Americans" ....

Regardless, it's barking nonsense, no matter who said it or where they're from, unless of course they're 12 year olds.

Believe me the people I heard this from weren't twelve yr olds! and the comments were made about americans in general, what I originally posted seems to be a general rule around here - glad to see that not Americans are barking!

RoadWarriorFromLP Oct 19th 2005 4:45 pm

Can anybody explain to me why its deemed completely innapropriate for anybody who is not 'white trash' to drink Budweiser in this country, but absolutely fine to drink bud lite????

As your newly resident dissident Yank, I initially snickered at this one myself. But as I thought about it, it does have a hint of truth to it.

In my part of the world, drinking from the trough of the bland triumvirate (Bud, Miller and Coors) will generally merit snickers and a few laughs. We fancy ourselves as little sophisticates, which calls for us consuming a premium domestic or, at the very least, one of the lesser imports, such as Heineken. Not sure if we'd brand the Bud drinkers as white trash, but you would be quickly dismissed as having pretty poor taste.

On the other hand, one drinks a lite beer to reduce calorie intake, something we can embrace in the Land of the Perpetual (Failed) Diet. The import and premium domestic brewers have avoided the low-calorie beer market, so the only choices left in this category are the major domestics. So drinking a diet beer gets fewer nasty looks.

Then again, a 20-something guy might get a bit of abuse if he drank a low-cal beer. Seems that the light beers are primarily aimed at women and middle-aged men, many of whom are carting around fairly large sheds for their tools.

As for the trainers/ sneakers comment, that I don't get. The accepted dress code can vary a fair bit, depending upon where you are and the specific bar that you frequent, but sneakers are not all that unusual.