Wikiposts

B'stards...

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I think we all know that LOL. But its also important to keep up with the flow of traffic- that's why I was pleased when they introduced MINIMUM speed limits on some roads.

The majority of accidents here are caused by bad driving, not by breaking the speed limit, and most accidents happen within 20 miles or so of home.

When the US did comparative studies a few years back, it was found that the accident rates were much higher in the US than Europe despite having lower speed limits. Fl raised the limit (on the freeways) a few years back after those reports.
The biggest road hazzards here are kids in cars they can't control (and often drinking) and snowbirds who chug along merrily causing chaos.

I go over the limit sometimes- I admit it, only on the freeways though and if I think its safe- yep Ill do 75-80 if I feel comfortable at that speed. What amazes me is the amount of people who don't slow down when the road conditions are bad- we get heavy storms and rain here and the majority of people still hurtle along at 70-80.

I got caught for speeding a few years ago in a road where the speed limit suddenly changed from 40 to 25 and I didn't adjust quick enough- I was 5 mph over the limit. A lot of people get tickets that way, and that's where a lot of speed traps are placed.

Last edited by Taffyles; Sep 23rd 2003 at 4:41 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 5:23 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B'stards...

Originally posted by robclews
To adapt an old saying......'The slower you are, the luckier you become'

Rob

That reminds me,

I had a favourite slogan printed on the front of my Y-fronts (many years ago)....

"it pays to be thick"...
Old Sep 24th 2003, 5:32 am
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by robclews
To adapt an old saying......'The slower you are, the luckier you become'

Rob
To a point...then you become a traffic hazard. It used to scare the crap out of me to drive with my mother. Back when the speed limit was 55 and most people drove 70 anyway, she would putter along at 40! I just knew we were going to get hit....the whole way people would be slamming on brakes to keep from hitting her!:scared:
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:41 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
it used to be they would only stop the car up front
Thats the way it seems to work but it never seemed fair to me - isn't the front car the one that is holding up all the others behind it - if he got out of the way, they'd all go faster! So they should take the back car, because he's the one thats caught them all up

Speed cameras very thin on the ground round us, though they do have one of those trailers that flashes your speed at you as you pass. Just about the only time you see people getting stopped is when they speed in the school sections - and most people are VERY careful about avoiding that - it amazed me when I first got here, but I wholeheartedly approve of the restrictions there - especially given the huge numbers of (mainly) SUV's parked outside the school gates (which I do not approve of - parked cars near kids are just accidents waiting to happen).

Personally I'm more likely to speed on the highway than in a built up area, but somehow here I feel less inclined to here than I did in England...not sure why. Older? Wiser? Kids? less stress? More dickheads on the road? Less speeding Dickheads on the road? Don't know....I just don't drive so fast now.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 3:53 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
somehow here I feel less inclined to here than I did in England...not sure why. Older? Wiser? Kids? less stress? More dickheads on the road? Less speeding Dickheads on the road? Don't know....I just don't drive so fast now.
Now that's strange, cos I do too. Thought it was age, but I'm still a lunatic on the roads in England.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:59 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
Now that's strange, cos I do too. Thought it was age, but I'm still a lunatic on the roads in England.
Same here, I noticed almost immediately a change in my driving style. Driving here is far more laid back and easier than in the UK. Less parked cars to dodge, less pedestrians to run over, less bends in the roads, less stress, less road rage = slower speed.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bubbadog
To a point...then you become a traffic hazard. It used to scare the crap out of me to drive with my mother. Back when the speed limit was 55 and most people drove 70 anyway, she would putter along at 40! I just knew we were going to get hit....the whole way people would be slamming on brakes to keep from hitting her!:scared:
I wasn’t suggesting that we all drive around like snails, I also agree that slow drivers way below the speed limit can cause as much of a danger as those who speed. My reference to the word ‘luckier’ was in respect of speeding tickets, and my intended point was, stick to the laws of the road and the less tickets you will collect !!. Shame I didn’t actually say that in my post.

Rob
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:46 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Same here, I noticed almost immediately a change in my driving style. Driving here is far more laid back and easier than in the UK. Less parked cars to dodge, less pedestrians to run over, less bends in the roads, less stress, less road rage = slower speed.
Completely agree with your reasons above that it's a less stressful driving experience over here. Although I've seen plenty of muppets driving here in Texas and been in situations which would have provoked at least an angry flash of the headlights and an optional hand gesture in the UK (e.g. people pulling out in front and forcing me to slam on the anchors), I just let it lie.

Also, I think a major reason why there's less road rage over here is because you don't know whether the other driver is packing heat or not..... and my wife won't let me get one, despite all my begging and pleading when we're in WalMart!
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:05 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC

Also, I think a major reason why there's less road rage over here is because you don't know whether the other driver is packing heat or not..... and my wife won't let me get one, despite all my begging and pleading when we're in WalMart!
Very true. We encountered a maniac lumber jack type in Vancouver who tried to cut us up and drive us of the road. He was swearing and cussing us and at one point made as if to get out of the car! What did we do? Kept our heads down, didn't say a word, and just kept driving! :scared:
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
isn't it kind of fun dodging parked cars? the stuff they do with those cars in London streets looks like car acrobatics to me.

I did wonder last time in the UK how to pull out into traffic when you can't see much around a corner??
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:27 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Who could dodge? I took out 4 with my ex'es Capri once. (longgggg time ago)
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:45 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Thats why girls should't drive.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:49 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by scotch03
Thats why girls should't drive.
Well, I was a girl then and have still never passed a driving test in my life.

When I moved here and went to the DMV I gave them my
provisional license and assumed they would give me an appointment for a test or lesson or something -- But they took my picture and told me to go take a seat.

10 minutes later they called my name and handed me the license, so I went back to my chair... The man that took my picture said I could go so I did.

I'll take it if they want, but I've renewed it 4 or 5 times so far without being asked to! Yep, it is a full licence!
Old Sep 25th 2003, 4:15 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

So if you seriously injure or kill someone and the matter is investigated you would not be insured and perhaps guilty of deception. As well as driving without a licence.

Deception does not mean you have to do something - you could also not do something - Ie - tell the truth.

You seem proud of this.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 5:19 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Thats the way it seems to work but it never seemed fair to me - isn't the front car the one that is holding up all the others behind it - if he got out of the way, they'd all go faster! So they should take the back car, because he's the one thats caught them all up

Speed cameras very thin on the ground round us, though they do have one of those trailers that flashes your speed at you as you pass. Just about the only time you see people getting stopped is when they speed in the school sections - and most people are VERY careful about avoiding that - it amazed me when I first got here, but I wholeheartedly approve of the restrictions there - especially given the huge numbers of (mainly) SUV's parked outside the school gates (which I do not approve of - parked cars near kids are just accidents waiting to happen).

Personally I'm more likely to speed on the highway than in a built up area, but somehow here I feel less inclined to here than I did in England...not sure why. Older? Wiser? Kids? less stress? More dickheads on the road? Less speeding Dickheads on the road? Don't know....I just don't drive so fast now.

I totally agree with the school zone thing, just last week we had a copper with a speed gun on everyone driving through.

I just object to the cameras flashing at you when the lights change suddenly, I wasn't really speeding when the camera went off, it seems like the lights here change quicker than the U.K (or is it my imagination?)....if it was a full red and I drove straight on, I'm as guilty as charged, but in this instance it was more than boderline. Garland police has the worst record when it comes making up traffic violations, I thought it was all bullshit when I first came here, but they seem to have there fare share of "crook cops".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.