Reload this Page >

Brother wants to come to the US

Brother wants to come to the US

Old Aug 4th 2002, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Henrik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brother wants to come to the US

Can anyone answer a question for me:

I recently immigrated to the US after marrying my K-1 fiance' and we have received my permanent resident status. She is a US citizen. My brother who is from Scotland would like to come to the US as well. I see there's a I-130, but its condition for sponsorship for a permanent resident only applies to spouses and children. For a US resident it applies to parents, brothers and sisters & children.

Is there another form that we may be missing so that my US Citizen wife and I can sponsor my brother to come to the US and also be able to work?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Henrik
Old Aug 5th 2002, 2:20 pm
Liwen Liang

Default Re: Brother wants to come to the US

No. In sort, the family immigration only allow Green Card Holder's spouse,
and unmarried children. US citizen can petition for his/her parents,
siblings, and children.

Your brother may have to wait until you become a US citizen before you can petition
for him, and then it will be another closer to 20 years of waiting from that point on
(more or less...)

Your best bet is probably either for him to come here to studey as a F1 student,
or if he already has a degree, try to find a job where his employer can sponsor
him for H1.

Henrik <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can anyone answer a question for me:
    >
    > I recently immigrated to the US after marrying my K-1 fiance' and we have received
    > my permanent resident status. She is a US citizen. My brother who is from Scotland
    > would like to come to the US as well. I see there's a I-130, but its condition for
    > sponsorship for a permanent resident only applies to spouses and children. For a US
    > resident it applies to parents, brothers and sisters & children.
    >
    > Is there another form that we may be missing so that my US Citizen wife and I can
    > sponsor my brother to come to the US and also be able to work?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Henrik
    >
    >
    >
    > --