British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Which broker for transferring money from UK to US ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/broker-transferring-money-uk-us-882119/)

nudda Aug 21st 2016 1:32 pm

Which broker for transferring money from UK to US ?

There are LOTS out there and xe.com used to be good but it seems they are not the best now. I've had a look here https://www.icomparefx.com/ and i'm still confused about which one to use.

Has anyone moved money recently? I am looking to move into BofA in the US. If so, who did you use ?

Thanks

lansbury Aug 21st 2016 5:53 pm

Re: Which broker for transferring money from UK to US ?

There are numerous threads on this subject which with a little bit of searching bring up a wealth of information. I personally use World First and Transferwise.com. Which one at any given time depends on the circumstances of the transfer.

Olly_ Aug 21st 2016 7:09 pm

I've used Transferwise a few times and have no complaints. If the payment is under about $26,000 (I forget the exact amount) they remit the funds via ACH credit so you don't pay a wire fee to receive the funds which is handy.

tom169 Aug 21st 2016 8:33 pm

I've always used xe up to now, but their exchange rate and fees just don't make financial sense.

Today I transferred a lump of cash using transfer wise and so far so good. Meant to be in the US on Thursday.

Olly_ Aug 21st 2016 8:35 pm

It'll probably arrive sooner, they always seem to beat their estimated arrival date when I use them.

nudda Aug 22nd 2016 6:29 am

thanks all! I have researched into threads on here and outside of BE but just wanted to understand what people were using as of now (full disclosure: I'm nervous, as I've never used a broker). So if its reputable and makes financial sense, its the one to go for.

MidAtlantic Aug 22nd 2016 11:30 am

Originally Posted by nudda (Post 12031860)
thanks all! I have researched into threads on here and outside of BE but just wanted to understand what people were using as of now (full disclosure: I'm nervous, as I've never used a broker). So if its reputable and makes financial sense, its the one to go for.

I have used Torfx many times and always been satisfied. Transferwise also does well.

MrSunu Sep 7th 2016 8:23 am

Hi,
hifx.co.uk is a good broker, they will have good rates and they are backed by a large company so you don't have much of a counterparty risk.

petitefrancaise Sep 7th 2016 1:38 pm

We've used worldfirst for about 10 years now. No problems and the money usually arrives within 24 hours. Same business day from UK/France to US usually. As Olly wrote having it sent as ACH with no fees in the target bank is nice too.

Owen778 Sep 7th 2016 2:07 pm

Probably worth saying in this thread that hifx and xe are now part of the same company, and I received an email from xe last week saying that they were merging onto the same systems. I suspect this means their rates are now identical.

Marc_ely Sep 7th 2016 3:51 pm

Transferwise. I used to use TorFX but their rates weren't as good and I got annoyed with the constant pressure with "you better move the money soon or the sky will fall in"...

homeagain1 Sep 10th 2016 9:59 pm

As an expat that has moved back to the UK from the USA, my husband and I find that Paypal is the cheapest and most convenient way to send money to the states.;)