British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/broadlands-va-childcare-nurserys-628215/)

buckers Aug 30th 2009 12:50 am

Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 
Hi Everyone

Hopefully someone can help out abit. After what feels like a very long week of searching, and just before we come back to blighty from our field trip, we have finally found a house to rent and will be moving over mid October. I have sorted out the school for my son - Mill Hill EM, but i could do with some recommendations on nurserys/day care for my 2 year old daughter, and preferably in the local area within Broadlands.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cant wait for the move now, so excited (seems like more so than the kids actually :rofl:)

NYCbound Aug 31st 2009 8:46 pm

Re: Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 

Originally Posted by buckers (Post 7887603)
Hi Everyone

Hopefully someone can help out abit. After what feels like a very long week of searching, and just before we come back to blighty from our field trip, we have finally found a house to rent and will be moving over mid October. I have sorted out the school for my son - Mill Hill EM, but i could do with some recommendations on nurserys/day care for my 2 year old daughter, and preferably in the local area within Broadlands.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cant wait for the move now, so excited (seems like more so than the kids actually :rofl:)

Can't help on the daycare, but well done on finding a place :-)
Has your visa interview come up yet?

buckers Sep 7th 2009 11:51 am

Re: Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 

Originally Posted by NYCbound (Post 7892226)
Can't help on the daycare, but well done on finding a place :-)
Has your visa interview come up yet?

Hiya

sent you a P email, but yes, whole trip was a success. Now all i have to do is find some decent day care for my daughter. School is sorted for my son, he is booked for his jabs on Friday, and the dog is all innoculated.
How are you doing, how are things with you?
spk soon

Lobsterback Sep 7th 2009 4:20 pm

Re: Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 
We live in the Northern VA area and have been going through the day care dramas.... We tried a nanny first, which became painful.

Our daughter has now been going to a local Winwood nursery for around a year. We've been really happy overall - they have cameras in every room so we can log on and check in on her from work! It's been good - I think you're closest branch will be Ashburn.

Winwood Children's Center: Ashburn Farms www.winwood.com


Best of luck with everything

buckers Sep 8th 2009 11:58 am

Re: Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 

Originally Posted by Lobsterback (Post 7911584)
We live in the Northern VA area and have been going through the day care dramas.... We tried a nanny first, which became painful.

Our daughter has now been going to a local Winwood nursery for around a year. We've been really happy overall - they have cameras in every room so we can log on and check in on her from work! It's been good - I think you're closest branch will be Ashburn.

Winwood Children's Center: Ashburn Farms www.winwood.com


Best of luck with everything

Hi Lobsterback
Thanks for the info. Yep closest one is just around the corner really. How do they compare with the UK on curriculum and employee turnover etc do you think. Also are they similar in price to UK? We were thinking of the nanny side of things.........my daughters key worker at nursery is desperate to come out with us, but i am unsure of that whole process....not had time to think about that . I have abit of time as i wont start looking for a job until after xmas seen as i cant relocate with my company (who happens to be a US company) but i want to get my daughter used to play group again as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your email, hope to hear more

:)

Voltore Sep 8th 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 
This has nothing to do with daycare but welcome to NoVa. There is a really good Clydes in Broadlands. Well worth the drive for us. A better class of restaurant and a local small chain. :)

Lobsterback Sep 8th 2009 10:40 pm

Re: Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 
Buckers,

I'm not sure how it measures up to the UK, mine have only been through the system over here.
The curriculum has been fantastic though (depends largely on the teacher i guess) - my daughter learnt all the signs for what she needed before she was able to verbalise it. Friendly staff, good hours.... I'm happy with it.

The waiting list can be long so it's good you have some time.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any more (and I can ask my wife for answers...)

Cheers

buckers Sep 9th 2009 7:57 am

Re: Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 

Originally Posted by Voltore (Post 7914540)
This has nothing to do with daycare but welcome to NoVa. There is a really good Clydes in Broadlands. Well worth the drive for us. A better class of restaurant and a local small chain. :)

Hi Richard

Thanks for that. Actually move over 1 Nov so its just the waiting game at this end now and it seems to be taking forever. Where abouts is Clydes. We will be living just off clairborne pkwy near Mill run EM school.

Thanks again

Voltore Sep 9th 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Broadlands, VA and childcare/nurserys
 

Originally Posted by buckers (Post 7916258)
Hi Richard

Thanks for that. Actually move over 1 Nov so its just the waiting game at this end now and it seems to be taking forever. Where abouts is Clydes. We will be living just off clairborne pkwy near Mill run EM school.

Thanks again

http://www.clydes.com/main/Find_Us.c...low_Creek_Farm
Not far from Clairborne Pkwy, although as you'll soon learn, roads here can go on for miles and miles and miles.......


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.