Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Broadband in USA - HOW MUCH?!?!?

Broadband in USA - HOW MUCH?!?!?

Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband in USA - HOW MUCH?!?!?

Originally Posted by penguinsix
With a population density per km about 1/5th that of the UK
That's what I'd have guessed at....till I looked it up....it's actually 1/8.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

TV, Internet & Phone are hideously more expensive in the US. $110 + Tax (I think) for an HD Cable package with a DVR (but excluding HBO, Sports or any of the superduper channels) and 8MB Internet. No phone. I was paying 50 pound for this in the UK and that included a BT landline too.

As has already been said, be prepared to be ripped off on our mobile too. You have to pay/use minutes for incoming calls and texts!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
As has already been said, be prepared to be ripped off on our mobile too. You have to pay/use minutes for incoming calls and texts!
Yeah, but it costs the same to call a mobile as it does to call a land line. Either way, they get you!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

$150 a month for broadband, cable tele HD/DVR and phone, well the phone is essentially free with a bundle deal.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:03 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

That 8mb uploads very impressive Bob
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Originally Posted by helwardman
I pay $45 a month for a 10MB/s cable internet connection from Cox. In the 2 years (almost) that I have had the service, the down-time has been precisely zero. I haven't done any speed tests recently, but based on speed tests I did in the past, it was always above 10MB/s (usually around 15MB/s).
Me too. I pay about the same. More than the UK, but I have little choice (apart from DSL which is slow and unreliable). I use it so much, its a cost I'm willing to bear. Its completely reliable.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Dallas and pay approx $150 per month for tv/phone/internet with TWC. We have one HD DVR and one 'regular' cable box that's neither HD nor a DVR.

No idea what the internet speeds are supposed to be, but here's the test results.......

Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
And of course, being billed for INCOMING calls is going to take some getting used to if we move to USA.
On the other hand you're not being charged silly amounts to call a cellphone from a land line or from a different mobile provider.

I really don't know why the Europe/UK based phone providers don't move in on the USA phone business - they could clean up. There are presumably a lot of corporate politics stopping them.
T-Mobile US? Verizon Wireless has its roots in a merger of Airtouch and Vodafone.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

Some pretty impressive speeds! But some fairly hefty charges, too. Unless you're paying for a business-level internet service, it's very unusual to get any decent upload speed in UK. All the ISPs shout about their download speeds and rarely even mention uploads. Here's my contribution...
...half a meg/sec isn't too great for uploads, and if I'm uploading a load of stuff, the download speed suffers a bit too.

I've had this connection for 3 months, with 0% downtime. It's Virgin Broadband and goes up to 50mb/sec if I pay a bit more, but I find that 10mb is fine - can stream live video OK (well, 720p HD is fine but I don't think it would manage full 1080p). For the £17ish per month they also chuck in a wireless router, which is nice. I am often astonished at the progress of t'internet - I remember the days of trying to send QuickTime files over the web - usually with little success unless they were so ludicrously compressed they became useless.

There's been a lot of hoohaa about ISPs selling packages claiming up to20mb/secprobably when in reality they provide a fraction of that, and it's shared across so many houses that it crawls to a snail's pace.

BritishGuy36 - yeah, I've always assumed the sheer size of the US is what makes any network - broadband, phone, TV - a huge challenge to set up. Good to see there are some well-priced cellphone plans around. We'll bring our UK cellphones with us - they're unlocked and have worked OK in the US.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
That 8mb uploads very impressive Bob
yeah, in theory, but reality is much less, probably the boost thingy as it does cut down after a bit and never seems to be that fast when transferring stuff through ftp or even FB etc, which probably do throttle a little themselves.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

Also did a ping test. Mmmm...lots of nice graphics. It reckons my connection's quite tasty.

...but not so good if I'm 'pinging' all the way to San Francisco...

...but it is 5350 miles away!

Last edited by Hellopaul; Jan 26th 2010 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:28 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly broadband...

Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I pay those twats at Comcast $162 a month for 200 channels of crap, a phone I never use and this:

Had been considering switching to Verizon to get Direct TV packaged with t'internet (and drop the phone) and save about $800 a year - but on closer inspection the fastest internet they're advertising for my address is "up to 3Mb/s" - that's a huge difference from what this speed test shows I have now. guess I should stay put...?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:33 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I *think* about 18 bucks a month for unlimited dial up. I have connected as fast as 28.8k, but only once. Usually it's around 26.4k. No DSL here and no cable (or is that the same thing?) Could get sattelite, but that's expensive and iffy. One of my friends was talking about something called an "Air card", but I have no idea what that is, and we are moving in a few months anyway, so not that worried about it.

Here's a screen capture I posted a while back that illustrates my glacier like speed...
They still do dial up in the states yank I do not know anyone in the UK on dial up, I thought that had gone the same way as betamax years ago.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
They still do dial up in the states yank I do not know anyone in the UK on dial up, I thought that had gone the same way as betamax years ago.
Sure, in some selected areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.