British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BritWeek 2008 in CA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/britweek-2008-ca-533481/)

Lord Lionheart May 4th 2008 1:02 am

Re: BritWeek 2008 in CA

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 6304040)
Well, it sounds like it suits you just fine then.

I wouldn't say that either :lol:

Xebedee May 4th 2008 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 6304053)
I wouldn't say that either :lol:

Its a friggin loony bin on wheels and thats the God's honest truth.

Lord Lionheart May 4th 2008 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 6304067)
Its a friggin loony bin on wheels and thats the God's honest truth.

Some people hate the circus, others like me ran away and joined the circus :lol:

Xebedee May 4th 2008 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 6304161)
Some people hate the circus, others like me ran away and joined the circus :lol:

:eek:
:blink:
:D
:)

qwerty007 May 5th 2008 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 6303849)
Yes it's horrible here. I've just got in after playing soccer this morning with a bunch of South Americans. I drove up PCH in my convertible this morning and looked at the dolphins and surfers in the Pacific Ocean just down from Malibu after my game.
I am now typing this 1/4 of a mile from white sandy beaches in the comfort of mid 70's temps. Terrible place, absolutely awful. I don't recommend it to you at all. Not sure why the British consulate would choose such a stupid venue to hold a mini festival :rolleyes:

Not all a bed of roses though. Wild-fires, mudslides, earthquakes, smog, gangs, concrete freeways, no real countryside, no historical culture, polluted cold sea, and very expensive. Some people don't mind this, other do. Nice weather and friendly people though.

Lord Lionheart May 5th 2008 3:17 am

Originally Posted by qwerty007 (Post 6308070)
Not all a bed of roses though. Wild-fires, mudslides, earthquakes, smog, gangs, concrete freeways, no real countryside, no historical culture, polluted cold sea, and very expensive. Some people don't mind this, other do. Nice weather and friendly people though.

Yeah life is not all a bed of roses either. As far as the points you raised some have some basis others really don't

Wildfires and mudslides - Sure, if you are fortunate enough to live in Malibu and a few other areas. These affect a relatively small section of the population.

Earthquakes - One of any significance in 21 years ( 1994)

Smog - Yep, the air is unhealthy. But so was London's until fairly recently, hence the term pea-souper. Probably still a lot better than Beijing or Mexico City

Gangs - Mostly gang on gang over drug turf apart from the occasional drive-by.

No historical culture - Various museums where various European, Asian and South American culture is on display. i.e The Getty, LACMA, Armand Hammer. Art Deco buildings in downtown. Numerous movie and entertainment cultural sites of significance. Obviously not as far back as European history for obvious reasons.

Freeways - That's a good thing to get around Los Angeles.

No real countryside - You've got to be kidding. Numerous State parks, canyons, mountains and lakes. Or do you mean green fields with sheep and cows? This is So Cal not England. I play soccer here every Saturday, a 15 minute drive away. Surrounded by horses, hiking trails, coyotes and history ( American)
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=626

Polluted cold sea - Again compared to where? A short boat ride to Catalina Island only 20 odd miles away has some great clear waters for fishing and scuba diving.

Very expensive - Housing yes. But entertainment, driving, electrical goods and eating out is very affordable compared to income.

Have to disagree about many of the people. Phony, shallow and superficial for the most part.

As you say not all a bed of roses or everyone's cup of tea. But then you have me at a disadvantage as I have no idea where you live and/or prefer ?!

Jerseygirl May 5th 2008 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 6308148)
Yeah life is not all a bed of roses either. As far as the points you raised some have some basis others really don't

Wildfires and mudslides - Sure, if you are fortunate enough to live in Malibu and a few other areas. These affect a relatively small section of the population.

Earthquakes - One of any significance in 21 years ( 1994)

Smog - Yep, the air is unhealthy. But so was London's until fairly recently, hence the term pea-souper. Probably still a lot better than Beijing or Mexico City

Gangs - Mostly gang on gang over drug turf apart from the occasional drive-by.

No historical culture - Various museums where various European, Asian and South American culture is on display. i.e The Getty, LACMA, Armand Hammer. Art Deco buildings in downtown. Numerous movie and entertainment cultural sites of significance. Obviously not as far back as European history for obvious reasons.

Freeways - That's a good thing to get around Los Angeles.

No real countryside - You've got to be kidding. Numerous State parks, canyons, mountains and lakes. Or do you mean green fields with sheep and cows? This is So Cal not England. I play soccer here every Saturday, a 15 minute drive away. Surrounded by horses, hiking trails, coyotes and history ( American)
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=626

Polluted cold sea - Again compared to where? A short boat ride to Catalina Island only 20 odd miles away has some great clear waters for fishing and scuba diving.

Very expensive - Housing yes. But entertainment, driving, electrical goods and eating out is very affordable compared to income.

Have to disagree about many of the people. Phony, shallow and superficial for the most part.

As you say not all a bed of roses or everyone's cup of tea. But then you have me at a disadvantage as I have no idea where you live and/or prefer ?!

TBH now matter where you live in the US...it's swings and roundabouts. There's good and bad, good and not as good.

I don't know you...only snippets from what you've said on BE. IMO you live in one of the most idyllic places in US...you have two beautiful boys and a lovely partner...but I sense there is something missing. You could more or less say the same about me. I call it the 'curse of the expats'...no matter how happy you are...what you've achieved...you want something that the US can't offer for your children and yourself.

Lord Lionheart May 5th 2008 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6308187)
TBH now matter where you live in the US...it's swings and roundabouts. There's good and bad, good and not as good.

I don't know you...only snippets from what you've said on BE. IMO you live in one of the most idyllic places in US...you have two beautiful boys and a lovely partner...but I sense there is something missing. You could more or less say the same about me. I call it the 'curse of the expats'...no matter how happy you are...what you've achieved...you want something that the US can't offer for your children and yourself.

There is no right or wrong answer, different strokes, horses for courses and all those other cliches.
I' ve been quite open on this forum, there's things that I like and dislike about both the US ( or where I live) and the UK. I like where I live but miss the sense of humor, familiarity and lately family since I have 3 sisters, a large extended family and aging parents that will not be around forever. Problem is I have been in the US half my life now ( all my adult working life) and I feel like I don't really fit 100% into either place or culture.
That's the price you pay as a long term immigrant ................. or oddball weirdo :lol:

Xebedee May 5th 2008 3:39 pm