British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Brit's in LA area? i just moved here!!! :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/brits-la-area-i-just-moved-here-672632/)

bxpuser1509589 Jun 15th 2010 11:25 pm

Brit's in LA area? i just moved here!!! :)

Hi im a young british male from near the essex area in london, bin searchin through these posts and can't seem to find any brits in the LA area? :/ i just got here like 1month ago and looking to meet new people but its hard wen u don't know any1 :( any suggestions please?? :D

aviva Jun 16th 2010 2:00 am

Re: Brit's in LA area? i just moved here!!! :)

I've lived here in LA forever it seems. I'd advise trying Meetups.com Los Angeles. There are some Brit groups on there. It depends where you live. It's so big and the traffic impedes one so much. Lots of Brits live in Santa Monica. Go on down to The Kings Head in SM. Filled with Brits. There's another place in Studio City.......try CitiSearch or Yelp. I'm in Los Feliz.

S Folinsky Jun 16th 2010 2:16 am

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 8635633)
I've lived here in LA forever it seems. I'd advise trying Meetups.com Los Angeles. There are some Brit groups on there. It depends where you live. It's so big and the traffic impedes one so much. Lots of Brits live in Santa Monica. Go on down to The Kings Head in SM. Filled with Brits. There's another place in Studio City.......try CitiSearch or Yelp. I'm in Los Feliz.

90027 rocks!

aviva Jun 16th 2010 2:30 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 8635642)
90027 rocks!

Indeed. We're so civilized and all.

bxpuser1509589 Jun 16th 2010 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 8635633)

Thanks for getting back to me :) and thnx 4 your suggestions, i currently have no vehicle as i have only just moved, but i've got my driving test on monday and then hopefully i'll get a car n get out and about! i'll get myself down to santa monica, ahh the kings head such an english name for a pub haha, cool los feliz isn't to far from me! i'll give those places a try asap :) im also looking for work in this area i have tried calling a few places and i found a guy that wants to meet me to talk, but i was just wondering off hand do you know if British certificates are worth anything here or do i have to re-train? im a plumbing and heating engineer, im not expecting you to know, but its a stab in the dark :P - many thnx again!

Come Ere Butt Jun 21st 2010 12:54 pm

Congratulations on the move, it's a huge step. May I ask what compelled you to move to Los Angeles? As you don't have a job already it's a bold move.

rj123 Jun 22nd 2010 3:55 am

Hi Dan, I got to LA 3 weeks ago. Its definitively hard starting in a new place. I work for myself from home as well which doesn't help. I've been on meetup.com and am doing a little internet dating. I lived in SF for a year and didn't know anyone when I got there but got there in the end. Just takes a bit of time and effort. Give me a shout on here if you need a beer one night.