Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brits Drive Into Trouble Abroad

Brits Drive Into Trouble Abroad

Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Brits Drive Into Trouble Abroad

http://www.thetravelmagazine.net/i-2...le-abroad.html

Dean
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits Drive Into Trouble Abroad

Problem here Dean is most of us could do with a guide to driving back in Blighty rather than Whorlando! The one that always gets me is coming off a single track road on to a main road. Well that and all the bloody insular blighters staring at me as I simultaneously stuff my face with donuts, drink a coffee, talk on the cell phone and read the paper as I'm driving along. Just coz they can't bloody do it is no reason for us experienced expats not to.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

an FCO survey has shown that when driving abroad, nearly a third (31%) have driven on the wrong side of the road and more than one in 10 (11%) have driven the wrong way round a roundabout
Gerald Nabarro RIP ...
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Britain should cut over to right hand side driving ... not to be like the US, but rather, the rest of Europe. Of course, it will never happen... Sweden did it in 1967 (changed from left to right)

This would have the pleasant side effect of making it easier for everyone else to visit the UK and drive there, and make it easier for Brit's to drive in most other countries (yeah, I know Australia, India, and Japan all drive on the left side of the road but - how many Brit's visit those places compared to Europe and the US ...? )

Here's how countries stand on the issue: http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html#countrytable
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Love how they trot out Quentin Wilson as the driving expert.
With his slick hair more like used car spiv!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Great tips for those with no common sense...which seems to be the majority of us!

Love all those statistics though - always thought that they are like a lamp post to a drunk man - more for support than illumination

Last edited by Big D; Jun 21st 2008 at 10:10 pm. Reason: inability to spell!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:31 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Reminds me of when I was driving in Tasmania after living in the USA for 2 years. I took a left turn and went to drive on the right instead of left as I turned. Unfortunately I was driving straight toward an old couple..... their eyes were wide and white! Luckily I swerved .... I slowed down, stuck my head out of the window, and shouted in my best yankie accent "sowwey, I'm Ameri-can" . They nodded and waved me on as they rolled their eyes.

I pissed myself laughing. I still get a laugh to this day when I have a flashback.
PS I am not a yank!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:56 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Britain should cut over to right hand side driving ... not to be like the US, but rather, the rest of Europe. Of course, it will never happen... Sweden did it in 1967 (changed from left to right)

This would have the pleasant side effect of making it easier for everyone else to visit the UK and drive there, and make it easier for Brit's to drive in most other countries (yeah, I know Australia, India, and Japan all drive on the left side of the road but - how many Brit's visit those places compared to Europe and the US ...? )

Here's how countries stand on the issue: http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html#countrytable
Bollocks. There's enough of us on that list - let everyone else change!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Bollocks. There's enough of us on that list - let everyone else change!
It'll never happen here. Think of the mess it would make of drive thrus...
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Curiously, in Belize they drive on the right.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Curiously, in Belize they drive on the right.
Mind you, they only have the one paved road.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Mind you, they only have the one paved road.
Paved roads are for sissies.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Paved roads are for sissies.
heh, I agree.
In my old village, they've put the runway for the daily 5 flights going straight across the road. Check your watch!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:14 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by meauxna
heh, I agree.
In my old village, they've put the runway for the daily 5 flights going straight across the road. Check your watch!
It's not one of those runways where you make a low pass to scatter the sheep before making a quick 180 to land, is it? They're usually marked by a pair of pj bottoms on a pole to act as a windsock.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future

Reminds me of the old joke about trialling it with taxis and lorries first!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.