Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Actually there is a form to e-mail them on their website. Click on "Email the Registrar".

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/misc/bmv_contacts.htm
I did see that link when I was browsing the site, but what exactly is a "registrar" in that context? I had it in my mind that it wasn't an address for general enquries, for some reason.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
There is no one running around keeping tabs of all this though, except you.
Hmmm ok. I guess it would just be on my mind in case the local fuzz stopped me and asked why I had been driving for months on my UK license.....
Originally Posted by meauxna
Nope. Your immigration status name only matters to Immigration. The IRS has another definition of what makes you a 'resident' and so does each State's DMV. You need to float along in the Land of the Unknown Tongue.
Good to know. I guess it's well worth clarifying with them then.

I think I will get an email together since if I'm going to get an accurate answer out of anyone, it could be BMV head office in Columbus rather than a small BMV out in the sticks.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Thanks.

But being a staunch Liverpool supporter, I couldn't bring myself to give money to Man U's sponsors even if it was half price.
My husband is a Liverpool supporter and he'd feel the same way.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

But being a staunch Liverpool supporter, I couldn't bring myself to give money to Man U's sponsors even if it was half price.
man u who are they? never heard of them
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ok. I guess it would just be on my mind in case the local fuzz stopped me and asked why I had been driving for months on my UK license.....

Good to know. I guess it's well worth clarifying with them then.

I think I will get an email together since if I'm going to get an accurate answer out of anyone, it could be BMV head office in Columbus rather than a small BMV out in the sticks.
What I am trying to get at is that there are some things that fall between jurisdictional cracks--you have studied a lot. NOW use that info to your own advantage, not by trying to pin down some bureaucrat who probably never thought about this situation existing, but by floating along and dealing with things as they arise IF they arise. I appreciate that you like a high level of knowledge and control and you want things to be official, but sometimes they just are not. This is one of those times, but thousands muddle through.

I have never heard of a cop asking someone how long they've been driving on their foreign license. And I've never read of anyone experiencing a problem due to lack of a DL, other than for all the *other* uses it serves. What I want to get across is that you're not dealing with one, unified government body here and that does make a difference. You know you're not doing anything wrong, you're taking the steps possible to comply with the rules, and it will all be done and dusted inside of 6 weeks tops. Breathe.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

LOL

But what if...... just kidding.

I just don't want to get pulled for something that's all.

I'll try to chill, dude.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TruBrit
man u who are they? never heard of them
Just for your info, they are European Champion's League runners-up, 2008.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

But what if...... just kidding.

I just don't want to get pulled for something that's all.

I'll try to chill, dude.

Drive carefully, y'all!
(study 'right turn on a red light' instead )
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for your info, they are European Champion's League runners-up, 2008.
well you've got to let them have some recognition from time to time to stop them whinging
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I did see that link when I was browsing the site, but what exactly is a "registrar" in that context? I had it in my mind that it wasn't an address for general enquries, for some reason.
Good question - I've never really thought of it as more than its traditional definition of record keeper. I'm sure if you e-mail someone at that address you should receive a reply - I think it is in fact the general address.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks.

I did fire off an email last night, after I submitted the form it says I will receive a reply within 5 days.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:23 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

In Indiana if you become a resident, now I think that means longer than a year, or you intend to make it your home, then you need an Indiana DL.

You also need an International DL to go with your UK DL - Exactly why I don't know, but they wanted it so I got one.

We have friends who have been here for 3 years driving on their UK DL, now what would happen if they were in an accident and their International had expired....God knows.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
You also need an International DL to go with your UK DL - Exactly why I don't know, but they wanted it so I got one.
There is no such thing as an international driving license - whoever insisted you got that clearly didn't know what they were talking about. Unless of course, they didn't speak english, and wanted a translation...
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:12 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
In Indiana if you become a resident, now I think that means longer than a year, or you intend to make it your home, then you need an Indiana DL.

We have friends who have been here for 3 years driving on their UK DL, now what would happen if they were in an accident and their International had expired....God knows.
Let me know if you see an International Drivers licence, they are rarer than a Unicorn or a sighting of Rays wallet.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as an international driving license - whoever insisted you got that clearly didn't know what they were talking about. Unless of course, they didn't speak english, and wanted a translation...
Hmm...is it an international driving permit?

Or do you mean that they are no longer used anywhere?

I have had two: 10 and also 15 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.