Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British wife moving to US, has an unsecured loan

British wife moving to US, has an unsecured loan

Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British wife moving to US, has an unsecured loan

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
He'll go home quite contented
My version involved a telegraph pole.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My version involved a telegraph pole.
I believe there are a number of variants.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

OP - please remember that sometimes ones (new) life doesn't go quite as planned. Your wife may well need to return to the UK permanently.

You mentioned that she has a pension; what kind is unclear.

As I'm sure that you are well aware, healthcare in the US can be prohibitively expensive. It may be that one day in the not-so-distant future, she (or both of you) may have no choice but to live in the UK.

Just some food for thought.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You also mentioned she is dealing with HSBC. They have offices/banks in the US as well.

Have her keep a checking account open in the UK, make transfers to the account and continue to pay the bloody loan.

She took the money. She spent the money. She should do what's right without attempting to hedge a legal bet that she won't get caught.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

While I suppose that failing to pay back the loan is probably just a civil matter I wonder if there are perhaps some circumstances under which it might be considered fraud ...

Either way, if your wife eventually wants to apply for US citizenship she will probably find it easier to complete Section D of the N400 form (Good Moral Character) with a clear conscience if she pays the money that she undoubtedly owes.

Personally I wouldn't want to be married to someone who didn't take their financial responsibilities seriously.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, there were posters about going after those who had skipped the country with unpaid loans in the UK when we were there. Hot air? Perhaps, but I remember seeing them more than once.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
While I suppose that failing to pay back the loan is probably just a civil matter I wonder if there are perhaps some circumstances under which it might be considered fraud ...

Either way, if your wife eventually wants to apply for US citizenship she will probably find it easier to complete Section D of the N400 form (Good Moral Character) with a clear conscience if she pays the money that she undoubtedly owes.

Personally I wouldn't want to be married to someone who didn't take their financial responsibilities seriously.
There's no requirement under the good moral character requirements of N400 to have paid off your loans.

The lady's already chosen her husband so I doubt she wants to marry you.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There's no requirement under the good moral character requirements of N400 to have paid off your loans.
I think that rather depends on the circumstances under which the loan was obtained and the reason why you failed to pay it.

The lady's already chosen her husband so I doubt she wants to marry you.
Something for which we can all be thankful
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You also mentioned she is dealing with HSBC. They have offices/banks in the US as well.

Have her keep a checking account open in the UK, make transfers to the account and continue to pay the bloody loan.
If she has a checking account at HSBC, they may have the right to take money from it to pay off a delinquent loan. Of course, she could also close the checking account if that was the case, but doing that isn't a great idea given that it's so difficult to open one as a non-resident these days. Bottom line for me is don't burn any bridges because you never know when you might want to re-cross them.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:22 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If she has a checking account at HSBC, they may have the right to take money from it to pay off a delinquent loan.
Are you saying "may have the right" in the sense of "I don't know that they don't have the right and anything's possible in this world, so that right might exist" or are you saying "I know for a fact they have the right, it's just a question of if they realise and use it"?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

I think she'll be all right as I appear to be the only mug who hasn't done this
No, you are (as am I) a woman with full morals.

I am doing exactly what zargof suggested.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:24 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

Originally Posted by NYCbound
I think she'll be all right as I appear to be the only mug who hasn't done this
No, you are (as am I) a woman with full morals.

I am doing exactly what zargof suggested.
Good morals? Might want to think a bit there! They don't call her Sally, "defiler of small mammals", for nothing you know!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Titchski
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

Good morals? Might want to think a bit there! They don't call her Sally, "defiler of small mammals", for nothing you know!
Right well then my statement has to be retracted, are you telling me that not only has she no morals but at the heart of it is sizest too? What about the large mammals she isn't defiling, or the amphibians or arachnids, is she animalist too?
I'm quite shocked.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Bottom line for me is don't burn any bridges because you never know when you might want to re-cross them.
This would be my bottom line too, you have no guarantee that she won't need to return to the UK at some point, either for health reasons (they can bankrupt you here unless you have great insurance or loadsa money) or for some other unforeseen reason.

Why shoot yourself in the foot for the sake of 6 grand? She could come to an agreement with the bank (before she leaves) that she reduce the monthly payments, at least until she has settled here and can pay it off.

You would be surprised how much 'peace of mind' is worth
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
This would be my bottom line too, you have no guarantee that she won't need to return to the UK at some point, either for health reasons (they can bankrupt you here unless you have great insurance or loadsa money) or for some other unforeseen reason.

Why shoot yourself in the foot for the sake of 6 grand? She could come to an agreement with the bank (before she leaves) that she reduce the monthly payments, at least until she has settled here and can pay it off.

You would be surprised how much 'peace of mind' is worth
I agree.

Basically not paying it just because you are moving overseas is exactly the same as not paying it if the OP was living in the UK - UK credit will be shot, and so on. The only difference with living in the US is that it will make it harder for them to pursue.

I don't understand why we regularly get this question on here - some people always wanting something for nothing - it's why the worlds economy is in the mess it is today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.