Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British wife moving to US, has an unsecured loan

British wife moving to US, has an unsecured loan

Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:36 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British wife moving to US, has an unsecured loan

If I were her I'd definitely keep paying it. When I moved across I still had an unsecured loan to pay from Egg so I left my bank account open and sent money across through Xe.com. I didn't tell either of them I was moving though in case they demanded me pay my debts off right away. I figured that one day I may need to return to the UK or my children may decide to move over there and it'd be nice if my credit score was decent so I could help them.

Of course on a purely selfish perspective you could say if your marriage doesn't work out and she has to move back to the UK then it doesn't matter to you if she's in debt when she gets there so tell her not to pay it. But then if you're thinking like that already what chance does your marriage have?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:24 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

As I'm feeling nice and magmanimous today I'll tell you what you WANT to hear! There will be NO PROBLEM AT ALL with reneging on the existing debt. In fact I reckon shes being a RIGHT PUSSY!!, She should see how much MORE unsecured debt she can rack up before fleeing the country!

Thats what you wanted right? To be told everything will be fine?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
She should see how much MORE unsecured debt she can rack up before fleeing the country!
This is possibly entering the fraudulent area.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

I'm also a little disturbed by the frequency with which this type of question is cropping up on here.

If one borrows money one has an obligation to pay it back. The OP asked what should be done and the obvious answer is to pay the money back. The fact that the question is even being asked sets off immediate alarm bells.

The OP says he's aware of the morals and ethics of the matter. In that case the course of action should be clear. If not, I'd rather not come across OP and his DW over here in the US thank you very much.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

I think he was possibly making a joke.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamuearlJackson
The OP says he's aware of the morals and ethics of the matter. In that case the course of action should be clear. If not, I'd rather not come across OP and his DW over here in the US thank you very much.
Why? They'll be in good company!

The moralists seem to have one-way morals on this board. I assume they believe the financial industry have unquestionable morals.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit

.....The moralists seem to have one-way morals on this board. I assume they believe the financial industry have unquestionable morals.
Here, here! The morals of some of the financial institutions over here leave a lot to be desired (US).....from my own personal experience
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Why? They'll be in good company!

The moralists seem to have one-way morals on this board. I assume they believe the financial industry have unquestionable morals.

So, we should all come 'down' to their level
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Are you saying "may have the right" in the sense of "I don't know that they don't have the right and anything's possible in this world, so that right might exist" or are you saying "I know for a fact they have the right, it's just a question of if they realise and use it"?
I'm saying I know someone this happened to and it shocked me that they did it. It never crossed my mind that this was possible and - presumably - legal.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:01 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think she'll be all right as I appear to be the only mug who hasn't done this
Me too, I'm still paying mine 2 years after moving here, to think what I could have done with that money if I had just been a delinquent.

Originally Posted by Dan725
I agree.

Basically not paying it just because you are moving overseas is exactly the same as not paying it if the OP was living in the UK - UK credit will be shot, and so on. The only difference with living in the US is that it will make it harder for them to pursue.

I don't understand why we regularly get this question on here - some people always wanting something for nothing - it's why the worlds economy is in the mess it is today.
My thoughts exactly Dan. These are the same people who when they want a new carpet claim on the insurance that they dropped a can of paint... This is why peoples premiums get higher for everyone else, because people bail on their responsibilities.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:02 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Englishtart
So, we should all come 'down' to their level
No -- I think we should ignore the morals in this thread. I tried to but it was getting increasingly difficult. I've no idea whether the OP's wife borrowed the money to buy bling or food, or whether the financial institute gave her a good deal or caused the problem. And I don't intend to ask.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

No -- I think we should ignore the morals in this thread. I tried to but it was getting increasingly difficult. I've no idea whether the OP's wife borrowed the money to buy bling or food, or whether the financial institute gave her a good deal or caused the problem. And I don't intend to ask.
I don't give a rats ass 'why' she loaned the money...the fact is 'she' did, i'm assuming that she's not totally illiterate and knew that she signed papers promising to pay back the loan, so it's not like it comes as a shock now.

Just because someone leaves a Country, does not mean that their debt is(or should be) wiped off the board. I know that some people think it's ok to just blow it off and think that there is no way they can catch me, if they feel good/ok with that, fine.

I'm not getting why 'morals should be ignored'? isn't that why there are so many people in deep holes right now, because Morals have become something 'disposable'
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:09 pm
Septicity

I don't give a rats ass 'why' she loaned the money...the fact is 'she' did, i'm assuming that she's not totally illiterate and knew that she signed papers promising to pay back the loan, so it's not like it comes as a shock now.

Just because someone leaves a Country, does not mean that their debt is(or should be) wiped off the board. I know that some people think it's ok to just blow it off and think that there is no way they can catch me, if they feel good/ok with that, fine.

I'm not getting why 'morals should be ignored'? isn't that why there are so many people in deep holes right now, because Morals have become something 'disposable'
There is insufficient information on which to base any moral judgment. A wife who murders her abusive husband is a different kettle of fish from a terrorist who murders an innocent person. An Enron executive is different from a mother who borrows from a loan shark to feed her hungry child.

I'm glad you can call it so easily............because I can't.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

There is insufficient information on which to base any moral judgment. A wife who murders her abusive husband is a different kettle of fish from a terrorist who murders an innocent person. An Enron executive is different from a mother who borrows from a loan shark to feed her hungry child.

I'm glad you can call it so easily............because I can't.
Important point.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Until banks/financial institutions/insurance companies start using morals again regarding their customers, why should I consider using my morals when it comes to doing business with them? I can be nice all I want, and make sure I treat them the way I'd like to be treated, but that just means they can walk all over me, which will leave me where? They all try to screw us, so I'm just doing tit-for-tat ya know.

That being said, I don't necessarily agree with what the OPs wife is contemplating. Even though the same thought has crossed my mind on more than one occassion. If you can pay it back, you should as that is really the 'right' thing to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.