Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Wedding in the USA...

British Wedding in the USA...

Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:16 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default British Wedding in the USA...

I went to a wedding this weekend that was so traditionally British that it (almost) made me cry. I hadn't realised how different British and American weddings actually are until I got here two years ago and attended a few and it was excellent being at such a British style wedding in the middle of Manhattan. Complete with top hat and tails...roast beef and BISTO gravy...even the wedding vows, this was a British wedding to remember...

The company that pulled all this together were called Candlelight Designs (www.candlelight-designs.com) a British event decorator and party planner now working in the USA...I thoroughly recommend them (I know that this is supposed to be non-commercial and if I'm stepping over the mark, I apologize expats.com!)

I just thought it was an excellent idea to help British/American couples add a bit of their own national style into the overseas ceremony.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

It's great that there's a company doing that. My daughter tried to make her wedding (last May) as British as possible. It wasn't easy! She'd been to beach weddings and so on and wasn't impressed- she wanted the old- fashioned vows etc. The Episcopal church is as close to the C of E service as you'll get (no bells though) and she stuck with British tradition (luckily the pastor had British parents and was familiar with the British way of doing things). Except for the groomsmen- there were 5 of them, the newness of the church, and the American accent of the Pastor, you'd never have known it was Florida. ( a welsh choir would have been lovely but couldn't find one for love nor money ha). We eventually found an old Silver Shadow rolls royce though for hire though- beautiful thing- but no air conditioning- the happy couple almost roasted on the 30 min drive to the reception. The guests coming in from UK brought accessories we couldn't get here, such as love spoons, silver horseshoe etc for the bride.

With all the Brits living in Florida - I think a wedding co-ordinator offering traditional British weddings would do well here.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Wedding in the USA...

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
I went to a wedding this weekend that was so traditionally British that it (almost) made me cry. I hadn't realised how different British and American weddings actually are until I got here two years ago and attended a few and it was excellent being at such a British style wedding in the middle of Manhattan. Complete with top hat and tails...roast beef and BISTO gravy...even the wedding vows, this was a British wedding to remember...

<<snip>>

I just thought it was an excellent idea to help British/American couples add a bit of their own national style into the overseas ceremony.

Just noticed that you posted this message twice, once in this forum and an identical copy in the marriage newsgroup/forum.

Are you somehow associated with the company you are recommending in the message?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:56 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Re: British Wedding in the USA...

Sorry folks, I posted the message twice because after I had posted on the US -Marriage Based immigration Discussion Board I read the posting guidelines and realized that it wasn't supposed to go there...so I posted in the correct (USA General) discussion board, sorry to create more work for mediators...no relationship, non commerical!

Chris
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:48 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Well the website barely mentions weddings and not a whiff of Brit in there, so it wasn't a very good commericial if it was someone involved with the business. Which probably makes it an excellent recommendation as you'd never find that company if you were surfing for British Wedding Organisers!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:05 pm
dealing with it

from what I saw of the way they worked and what they do, they don't need my recommendation anyway, they are completely booked up this year and travelling between the UK, France, US and Canada...

nice life if you can get it...

by the way...if Melissa is reading this (owner as listed on website)...I could use a job!