Reload this Page >

British Weather

Wikiposts

British Weather

Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Elizabeth2566 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DRIVING LICENCE

Hi, about to move out to windy chicago on March 8th on L1B visa, could anyone tell me how long I can drive on my British Licence, I am a sales consultant so will need to drive. Really excited about returning to Naperville, little anxious but looking forward to the warmer summer.

Also could anyone tell me if my husband and I need to get social security numbers and how do we get them?

Many thanks
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:32 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth2566
Hi, about to move out to windy chicago on March 8th on L1B visa, could anyone tell me how long I can drive on my British Licence, I am a sales consultant so will need to drive. Really excited about returning to Naperville, little anxious but looking forward to the warmer summer.

Also could anyone tell me if my husband and I need to get social security numbers and how do we get them?

Many thanks
Not sure about Chicago as the law's change from State to state, but I'm driving on my UK liceinse for my stay on an L1 although I'm told the test is not hard anyway.

I'm still getting paid in the UK on my L1 so I don't get a social security number, not sure if you are in the same situation.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:37 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Weather

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Pick a good ski day and maybe I'll be inspired to roadtrip.
Sounds good to me, ok I'll post a thread and see what suggestions people come up with.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

You can only get a US license now if you have a valid SS card which you must present at the time of test (which is so easy as to be laughable).
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:55 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth2566

Many thanks
I have no idea how the L1B works, but if you are to work in the US you will need an SSN. Has your employer not taken care of all of this for you ??
Also will you husband be allowed to work in the US - is he a trailing spouse. Anyway these are L1A questions - someone else can take care of them.

You can drive on your British license for 3 months in IL. To get an IL one you need to do the written, eye and road test. All easy and costs $10 I think. Just roll up to a DMV with no appointment with all your ID's, ssn, proof of address, etc and you're off. Some of the DMV's have ridiculous queues - I ended up going to 3 different ones of which Deerfield seemed the least busy. Its not that far a drive for you. However Deerfield also seems to be staffed by idiots and I had a stand up row with the manager there. Elgin and Schaumburg have great staff but may be more busy. I did my road test in elgin and it was a doddle.

As for SSN, I got mine from Bloomingdale SS office. I'm sure that there is a closer one to you but I found them to be extremely helpful so I'd recommend the extra drive. They can give you the number 48 hours after you apply, and the card should be with you in 28 days.

Good luck, and welcome to Il
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Caroline1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks now at home hence caroline, my husband can get work once we apply for an EAD, my employer is not assisting which I am not bothered about, does it take long for a licence to come through once you are told you can have one? and will my husband also be able to get one, also a social security number?

Many thanks

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I have no idea how the L1B works, but if you are to work in the US you will need an SSN. Has your employer not taken care of all of this for you ??
Also will you husband be allowed to work in the US - is he a trailing spouse. Anyway these are L1A questions - someone else can take care of them.

You can drive on your British license for 3 months in IL. To get an IL one you need to do the written, eye and road test. All easy and costs $10 I think. Just roll up to a DMV with no appointment with all your ID's, ssn, proof of address, etc and you're off. Some of the DMV's have ridiculous queues - I ended up going to 3 different ones of which Deerfield seemed the least busy. Its not that far a drive for you. However Deerfield also seems to be staffed by idiots and I had a stand up row with the manager there. Elgin and Schaumburg have great staff but may be more busy. I did my road test in elgin and it was a doddle.

As for SSN, I got mine from Bloomingdale SS office. I'm sure that there is a closer one to you but I found them to be extremely helpful so I'd recommend the extra drive. They can give you the number 48 hours after you apply, and the card should be with you in 28 days.

Good luck, and welcome to Il
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:47 am
The American Job

Originally Posted by Caroline1966
Many thanks now at home hence caroline, my husband can get work once we apply for an EAD, my employer is not assisting which I am not bothered about, does it take long for a licence to come through once you are told you can have one? and will my husband also be able to get one, also a social security number?

Many thanks
Probably have to queue again but you get it there and then at the DMV
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:50 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Hopefully some others can advise on the SSN as that's really a visa related question which I'm a bit clueless on. There's def a few on here who have come out on L1's with trailing spouses.
You get the license then and there, so if you time it right you can do the eye, written and road tests and get the license on the same day. Unfortunately I had to do it in 3 parts due to some appalling timing and it took me 4 weeks, but this is prob not typical.
Schaumburg maybe the best combo of staff, queuing, etc though it is on quite a busy road so the road test many be a bit more difficult (relatively speaking).
Oh, and will your employer provide you with a car - might be a prob with no license, no ssn and no US credit history.

You can explain the caroline/elizabeth thing later
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Caroline1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks thats good news no my company will not be supplying a car I get an allowance, will lease one to get us started as having a car seems a must in Naperville. On a different note is the Electric etc more expensive and does everybody pay when the bills arrive as I have been told that they do not do the direct debit thing!

Thanks ( I will explain the caroline/elizabeth thing another time)

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Hopefully some others can advise on the SSN as that's really a visa related question which I'm a bit clueless on. There's def a few on here who have come out on L1's with trailing spouses.
You get the license then and there, so if you time it right you can do the eye, written and road tests and get the license on the same day. Unfortunately I had to do it in 3 parts due to some appalling timing and it took me 4 weeks, but this is prob not typical.
Schaumburg maybe the best combo of staff, queuing, etc though it is on quite a busy road so the road test many be a bit more difficult (relatively speaking).
Oh, and will your employer provide you with a car - might be a prob with no license, no ssn and no US credit history.

You can explain the caroline/elizabeth thing later
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:17 am
Thinking about it

Thanks thats good news no my company will not be supplying a car I get an allowance, will lease one to get us started as having a car seems a must in Naperville. On a different note is the Electric etc more expensive and does everybody pay when the bills arrive as I have been told that they do not do the direct debit thing!
You can hook the bills to your credit card for most stuff.
You will really need to look into the car thing as leasing will be subject to credit checks - if you somehow are able to lease the rates will be astronomical. There is a type of lease available were you basically pay for the whole thing up front for the duration of the lease (usually 2-3 years) - this might be your best plan of attack.

Oh, and yes, a car is a must pretty much a must anywhere in this country unless you live in a big city. Your hubby might also get a bit bored sitting at home all day with no wheels if he has to wait for work authorization, so i hope he has a few hobbies that he can keep himself busy with.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:20 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
You can only get a US license now if you have a valid SS card which you must present at the time of test (which is so easy as to be laughable).
You don't need a SSN to get your license. Mrs Schnorbitz is on an L2 and she has passed her test. My employer gave her a letter explaining her circumstances and the SS Office issued her a letter saying she didn't qualify for a SSN. She could then, upon presenting my visa and hers take her test.

Also, I didn't need my card when doing mine, just then number but that may vary from state to state. Here in CO you can drive on your UK license for 30 days.

And yes, the test is easy. The most difficult part is the written part.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:30 am
The American Job

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
You don't need a SSN to get your license. Mrs Schnorbitz is on an L2 and she has passed her test. My employer gave her a letter explaining her circumstances and the SS Office issued her a letter saying she didn't qualify for a SSN. She could then, upon presenting my visa and hers take her test.

Also, I didn't need my card when doing mine, just then number but that may vary from state to state. Here in CO you can drive on your UK license for 30 days.

And yes, the test is easy. The most difficult part is the written part.
I'm still on my UK licience I thought it was 30 days too but its not, may vary on visa type though.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Dunno when that was but you sure do now or a 676-SSAL (maybe different state by state) showing a denial of of SSN from the Social Security Office.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:51 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Dunno when that was but you sure do now or a 676-SSAL (maybe different state by state) showing a denial of of SSN from the Social Security Office.
I did my test on 1/19 and the breadknife did hers in November 05. The 676-SSAL may have been what she was given. All I know is that there are number of hoops to jump through to get your license.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:52 am
Account Closed

I did my test on 1/19 and the breadknife did hers in November 05. The 676-SSAL may have been what she was given. All I know is that there are number of hoops to jump through to get your license.
Yeah SSN or letter of denial are must haves now....previously you could wander in with nothing more than a visa/passport. Its all about the war on terror you know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.