British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British TV streaming in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-tv-streaming-us-888790/)

Pulaski Dec 13th 2016 4:38 pm

British TV streaming in the US

I don't watch British TV, with one notable but defunct exception, and don't miss British TV in general, but this might be of interest to those who do.

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 13th 2016 5:04 pm

Re: British TV streaming in the US

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12128298)
I don't watch British TV, with one notable but defunct exception, and don't miss it, but this might be of interest to those who do.

Oh good! My Roku is my lifeline to Brit TV. This will be avery welcome addition.

lansbury Dec 13th 2016 5:06 pm

I can see this being very popular, and not just among Brits.

kins Dec 13th 2016 7:37 pm

I'd pay for that. We have three Roku TVs in our house...

tom169 Dec 13th 2016 7:40 pm

If they can sign a deal with Channel 5 for some dodgy documentaries then they will be all set.

Guindalf Dec 13th 2016 8:04 pm

So basically, they're selling a Kodi box, which is available for about $40-50, streams just about ANYTHING including the latest movies, Premium movie channels and much, much, more, is properly illegal for a lot of its content (including the UK channels), and varies in quality!

It can even be added to Amazon's Fire TV (box or stick) for free to anyone who has a little computer savvy and the skill to follow instructions!

dinosaur Dec 13th 2016 8:37 pm

Will be interesting to see what content it has, but sounds a bit AcornTV-ish. Doesn't mention Channel 4 or Channel 5, so already a gap.

The great thing about using the UK on-demand services directly is to view obscure stuff - shows that I'd fully expect someone curating for the US market will likely ignore.

And also, for me, the killer app for a VPN is the non-premier league football round ups on C5...am sure BritBox won't have those....

mrken30 Dec 13th 2016 8:52 pm

I am not going to pay to watch neighbours, home and away or any of that other soap crap. Hopefully they will have something more than BBC America, Netflix and Amazon provides already.

ian-mstm Dec 13th 2016 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12128298)
I don't watch British TV, with one notable but defunct exception...

I didn't know that Coronation Street isn't on anymore! ;)

Ian

mrken30 Dec 13th 2016 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12128498)
I didn't know that Coronation Street isn't on anymore! ;)

Ian

You must be so heart broken. Do they still do reruns of crossroads?

Guindalf Dec 13th 2016 11:07 pm

To confirm my earlier suspicions, it IS an Android box. The software can be side-loaded onto any Android-based box (or phone or tablet) and does indeed give you pretty much ALL live TV from the UK plus US, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal and even some Turkish and Azerbaijani channels! :eek:

It DOES have Channels 4 & 5 and the list is long and quite difficult to manage. I already have Kodi installed on my Fire TV, so it was no big deal to add this to it. Total cost? Nothing, nada, nil, zilch, so I reckon I saved a couple of hundred Euro! Having said that, the content is mostly FilmOn provided so, as I said earlier, illegal.

mrken30 Dec 13th 2016 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12128567)
To confirm my earlier suspicions, it IS an Android box. The software can be side-loaded onto any Android-based box (or phone or tablet) and does indeed give you pretty much ALL live TV from the UK plus US, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal and even some Turkish and Azerbaijani channels! :eek:

It DOES have Channels 4 & 5 and the list is long and quite difficult to manage. I already have Kodi installed on my Fire TV, so it was no big deal to add this to it. Total cost? Nothing, nada, nil, zilch, so I reckon I saved a couple of hundred Euro! Having said that, the content is mostly FilmOn provided so, as I said earlier, illegal.

Do you still require a VPN provider?

markonline1 Dec 13th 2016 11:35 pm

Depending on what content they have, this could be very good. Unfortunate though, all the good stuff like MOTD and the 6 nations I'm assuming won't be shown due to rights issues.

kimilseung Dec 13th 2016 11:36 pm

As long as it has better content than Acorn.

ian-mstm Dec 14th 2016 12:20 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12128501)
You must be so heart broken.

I suggest you take a remedial reading course... because it's apparent you have no idea what just happened.

Ian