Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

british tv set in usa

british tv set in usa

Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british tv set in usa

Originally Posted by ian-c
im getting a mixed response to this , both here and by the manufacturers/agents .

so if its secam , i just need a step-up transformer ?

i'm not saying it is secam , i'm not at home to check
Dear God man pull yourself together!! The manufacturers and dealers will be no help - the former want you to buy a new tele and the agents wont have a clue what you are talking about. Secam is irrelevant dont confuse yourself.

Ifs it cost you 5k then it will work - you may or may not need a voltage converter but that is a minimal inconvienience.

However seeing some of your other posts I dont think the issue should lose you any sleep in the short term
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

On the TV issue, I can see three things to consider: mains electricity (110V 60Hz/240 50Hz), colour system (NTSC/PAL) and tuning (range of frequencies, audio subcarrier, digital technologies etc.). I imagine that modern TVs aren't affected by mains frequency (they certainly used to be though) and can do both PAL and NTSC. I doubt that they're able to cope with the tuning differences so an external tuner (cable box etc.) might be required...

The visa issue is more fundamental.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

thanks for the help .

maybe it was wrong for somebody to cross post my other threads into this one (but thats a moderators job) as it seems to be affecting peoples answers to what this thread is about !!!

my visa problems are being sorted out just fine thank you
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rew1000
On the TV issue, I can see three things to consider: mains electricity (110V 60Hz/240 50Hz), colour system (NTSC/PAL) and tuning (range of frequencies, audio subcarrier, digital technologies etc.). I imagine that modern TVs aren't affected by mains frequency (they certainly used to be though) and can do both PAL and NTSC. I doubt that they're able to cope with the tuning differences so an external tuner (cable box etc.) might be required...

The visa issue is more fundamental.
if you have a 5 grand TV i seriously doubt that you would just get the terestrial channels!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big D
if you have a 5 grand TV i seriously doubt that you would just get the terestrial channels!
Our TV set didn't work a few years ago, come to think of it neither did our microwave with voltage reducers, but everything else worked fine.
Our TV set wasn't exactly state of the art but it was expensive, but then I have to say I haven't seen any really expensive TV's around even these days. If you're that concerned about it, why don't you just try it out? You'd kick youself if you sold it before you moved and never knew
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

when i searched web , this site came up with lots of talk of slingshot (?) that people were using , so i figured id ask here
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big D
nope !!!
i bought it because it looked good , that and the fact i love to spend !!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:44 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

nope !!!
i bought it because it looked good , that and the fact i love to spend !!
Have a chat with your parents, you might have some Yank blood in you already...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Have a chat with your parents, you might have some Yank blood in you already...

wish i could , dads serving life and mums in re-hab
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh God !!!!!!!!
indeed....the laugh has brightened my otherwise very dull day.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

That settles it.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, not fun. No wonder you like to travel.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
Ouch, not fun. No wonder you like to travel.
lol