British TV

Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Mr Vox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British TV

Hi all ,
I know you have probably discussed this a million times , but for the sake of someone who is due over soon please can you afford a little patience.

I would like to continue to watch, some , British TV in the US - I am not a techie , I'm just a normal person ( techies are normal too, I know! )

I've looked at numerous websites , expat tv , proxy tv etc , and they seem simple but when you read into it , you need to be I.T. Qualified to eventually get the best out of it, if that happens at all !!
I'm just not that person !

Is there one solution that just allows me to plug and play ? I'm happy to pay a Subscription - but not without complicated set up procedures ?
So what I require ( if it exists !!!! ) is a subscription , and then a plug and play "box" that allows me to connect my ipad and PC etc back to UK back to the UK , no 'server changing' 'proxy' (?????? ) changing ...... am I dreaming and taking a step too far ?

Would appreciate some feedback and help, if it's a no, then it's a no !

Thanks in advance !
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British TV

Lots of threads about this, lots of options to make it seem you are still in the UK.

IPlayer is apparently going to be opened up.

I mainly listen to the radio, for the majority of purposes it is exactly the same.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to install and set something up to some extent on whatever you do.

For the desktop, if you use Chrome/Firefox as a browser, you can install MediaHint - https://mediahint.com/ It'll automatically ping sites like the Beeb/ITV etc to think you're in the UK.

For the iPad, something like Tunnelbear - https://www.tunnelbear.com/ can try it out for free with 500MB a month of bandwidth and if you like it the subscription service is pretty good.

But it's really not complicated....most services offer a app, you install, put in user info that you get when you subscribe and switch it on when you want to use it. Some other services, you manually put the info in your settings and then switch it on and off when you want it.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:50 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

We just use a Roku box; we subscribe to the free Nowhere TV (to get BBC and Sky News) and Plex channels, and pay for Acorn TV (got a really good deal on that) and that's enough for us. We aren't really heavy TV watchers and for me, IT stuff is work.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Mr Vox is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help , it still sounds complicated to me ! ( yea idiot ! )

So- from what I'm assuming there is no one "box" that allows me to access web to get tv , internet etc ? from the UK ? i.e. Plug it in - UK access allowed ( yea subscription ) ??

I just want to connect as easy as a WiFi type connection - That's just not possible ??

Probably a new learning curve required !
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Roku Box would be the easiest, but to get UK content, you need generally a UK IP, so that means a VPN/DNS/Proxy service.

The easiest way to watch the stuff on your TV would be the laptop with a HDMI cable plugged in and using Chrome with the MediaHint plug in. It's not the most elegant solution though.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Overplay. A simple DNS change (which you're guided through) and you're ready to rock. $5 a month.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use gmail and when I change my ISP to UK I start getting all sorts of messages as they think my account has been hacked.

So I have just closed down my e mail for the duration.

Anybody else with this issue, any obvious solutions.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
I use gmail and when I change my ISP to UK I start getting all sorts of messages as they think my account has been hacked.

So I have just closed down my e mail for the duration.

Anybody else with this issue, any obvious solutions.
I've never had that, but then I don't use gmail constantly. Might want to look at Overplay, or anything else that works on the DNS level, then it shouldn't swap the IP for the email.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest way is to just go to www.filmon.com. You get the main free to air channels for free. If you have an ipad, you can buy an HDMI connector that allows you to connect your ipad to the tv and the picture will stream onto the tv. It's an excellent service and it's free. As said, VPN's allow you to watch iPlayer, ITV player etc. What they basically do is trick the iPlayer etc, into thinking you are still in the UK allowing you to use the service. I too use tunnel bear. Costs me $3 a month on my ipad. To install, go to the relevant site on your laptop, or download the app from the App Store on your ipad, and the software will be automatically downloaded.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 3:57 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
The easiest way is to just go to www.filmon.com. You get the main free to air channels for free. If you have an ipad, you can buy an HDMI connector that allows you to connect your ipad to the tv and the picture will stream onto the tv. It's an excellent service and it's free. As said, VPN's allow you to watch iPlayer, ITV player etc. What they basically do is trick the iPlayer etc, into thinking you are still in the UK allowing you to use the service. I too use tunnel bear. Costs me $3 a month on my ipad. To install, go to the relevant site on your laptop, or download the app from the App Store on your ipad, and the software will be automatically downloaded.
Looked at this after you posted and saw all the UK channels there but have been back since and can only see Quest now - has something changed?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 5:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Overplay worked flawlessly to stream Dr Who for 20 people at a viewing party yesterday
Old Nov 24th 2013, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few UK shows on Netflix and Hulu if you're not comfortable trying to access any of the other ways.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

British American Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, did I sound spammy? I did not mean to. Was just trying to help. We do use a proxy.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

British American Family is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband says the offer of help still stands. Please let us know. It is a nice lazy Sunday at home and we have the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.