British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British traits! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-traits-197145/)

BrigieDarling Dec 16th 2003 1:04 pm

British traits!

I love us Brits!

We honestly run the gammit when it comes to personalities. It can probably be said about any nationality, but in my opinion, we take the cake!

I don't know what it is.... but British people just can't make me mad. I can forgive them almost anything. I don't care how opinionated or quirky... it all just comes out in the wash with me!

Is it British to tolerate?

Do we hang in there? (I know we'll complain about anything we can think of) But are we less likely to not bother with something?

Now and then I think I'd do anything to have everyone I meet round for a cup of tea. There are Brits in Connecticut that won't even give me a "Hello", but it doesn't bother me and I would still do anything I could for them.

Why does it feel like we all have something more in a friendship than being an acquaintance that visits the same website?

doctor scrumpy Dec 16th 2003 1:17 pm

Can we all have a pint of whatever you drink to get you through the day then ?

BrigieDarling Dec 16th 2003 1:22 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Can we all have a pint of whatever you drink to get you through the day then ?
Yep, tea or a pint!

(The object of pissing someone off is to annoy them right? -- But if it didn't would you bother?)

I'll get some more beer in.... annyone else coming?

Yosser Dec 16th 2003 2:10 pm

I'll take a nice cuppa of freshly brewed PG tips, door step 'proper' bacon sarnies with lashings of Tommy sauce and for afters some of Brigies home made scones with strawberry jam and a generous dolop of deveonshire clotted cream please!....Ooh bloody lovely !

BrigieDarling Dec 16th 2003 3:58 pm

About scones.... never made them in my life mate!

How do you make them anyway? Recipe anyone!

PG-Tips I have though, one lump or two?

Yosser Dec 16th 2003 4:53 pm

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
About scones.... never made them in my life mate!

How do you make them anyway? Recipe anyone!

PG-Tips I have though, one lump or two?
Found this on a website, no sugar though Brig, I am sweet enough.

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1 large egg
About 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup dried currants or raisins

Method:

Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and nutmeg in a food processor and pulse on and off to combine the ingredients. Add the cold butter and pulse 15 to 20 times until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Break the egg into a small bowl and whisk lightly. Pour half the egg into a 1/2 cup measure and fill to the top with milk. Pour the liquid over the flour mixture and process for about 10 seconds until the dough forms large curds. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface.

Quickly and gently knead in the currants. Pat or roll the dough 1/2" thick. Cut into 2 1/4" rounds with a biscuit cutter (or cookie cutter or glass with roughly that diameter). Gently re-roll scraps and continue to cut all the dough. Place the scones on ungreased baking sheets and chill for 15 minutes. (The scones can be covered and refrigerated at this point for as long as overnight).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add 1 tbsp milk to the remaining half egg and brush over the tops of the scones with a pastry brush. Bake until the tops are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks for at least 10 minutes before serving.

BrigieDarling Dec 17th 2003 1:22 pm

This should be a laugh... I'm going to make them today!

No currents, sustituting cheddar cheese like my nan did! ;)

FlyergirlUK Dec 17th 2003 1:26 pm

Originally posted by Yosser
I'll take a nice cuppa of freshly brewed PG tips, door step 'proper' bacon sarnies with lashings of Tommy sauce and for afters some of Brigies home made scones with strawberry jam and a generous dolop of deveonshire clotted cream please!....Ooh bloody lovely !
Sounds bloody good to me; count me in!! :D

FlyergirlUK Dec 17th 2003 1:28 pm

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
No currents, sustituting cheddar cheese like my nan did! ;)
Cheese scones? Oh yum!! Love 'em!! :D
I made some for hubby and he was most impressed with 'em.

Delish!!