British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Teacher seeking advice. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-teacher-seeking-advice-839226/)

markhaggis Jul 22nd 2014 7:44 am

British Teacher seeking advice.

I'm a teacher living and working in England, I've done some research into moving to the States and I know that Texas employed more foreign teachers than any other state. Does anyone have experience of pursuing a teaching career in Texas. I know I have to have my qualifications authenticated and I believe I have to sit a state exam, but I'm not sure which and when they do them. I want to come over for 6 weeks in November to do all this.
Failing that I would consider buying a small business. Does anyone have information on this process? How many US employees to I have to employ, Do I have to have a certain amount of money in a business account, etc?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Mark

tonrob Jul 22nd 2014 9:44 am

Re: British Teacher seeking advice.

Originally Posted by markhaggis (Post 11344020)
I'm a teacher living and working in England, I've done some research into moving to the States and I know that Texas employed more foreign teachers than any other state. Does anyone have experience of pursuing a teaching career in Texas. I know I have to have my qualifications authenticated and I believe I have to sit a state exam, but I'm not sure which and when they do them. I want to come over for 6 weeks in November to do all this.
Failing that I would consider buying a small business. Does anyone have information on this process? How many US employees to I have to employ, Do I have to have a certain amount of money in a business account, etc?

Thanks
Mark

Not sure how much has changed since your 2009 thread, tbh - but good luck anyway. Are you considering an exchange programme now?

markhaggis Jul 22nd 2014 9:48 am

I sent that message today. If I can't get anywhere I will go along the VIF programme

mikelincs Jul 22nd 2014 10:04 am

Originally Posted by markhaggis (Post 11344095)
I sent that message today. If I can't get anywhere I will go along the VIF programme

You did have a thread with that very question in 2009, which is why the comment was made. If anything things have got harder. You would need to find a school willing to pay several thousand dollars to sponsor you, and with cutbacks I really suspect that will be like finding hens teeth.

MidAtlantic Jul 22nd 2014 11:39 am

Thanks
Mark

Your chances are slim. There are many US teachers who are unemployed, so there is little likelihood of a school recruiting you when they can recruit locally.

markhaggis Jul 22nd 2014 12:03 pm

I'll go through the VIF programme then.

christmasoompa Jul 22nd 2014 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by markhaggis (Post 11344231)
I'll go through the VIF programme then.

Sounds like a plan. At least it would get you over there, even if it is only temporarily.

Good luck.

:)

markhaggis Jul 22nd 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks christmasoompa, the VIF last for 3 years and during that time I can explore other avenues.

Pulaski Jul 22nd 2014 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by markhaggis (Post 11344269)
Thanks christmasoompa, the VIF last for 3 years and during that time I can explore other avenues.

If you're single, you know what that means, right? ;)

markhaggis Jul 22nd 2014 2:08 pm

I do know what you mean Pulaski, but I'm not single.

kcol1 Jul 22nd 2014 2:47 pm

Check out British Schools of America. They have schools in many cities including New York, Chicago, Charlotte. A former colleague of mine worked in the Chicago school. The starting salary is quite low, around $30000 (that was a few years ago and may be higher now) but there are many allowances on top of this including a rent allowance, dependents allowance etc which compensates. If you successfully secured a post with them they take care of all visa requirements including getting a work visa for your other half if you have one and you get health insurance and some other benefits.

Golden Boy Jul 22nd 2014 4:21 pm

Thanks
Mark

As insane and absurd as it might sound..Teachers are not popular people in America...

Let me Google it up for you
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+do+people+hate+teachers

zzrmark Jul 22nd 2014 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Boy (Post 11344494)
As insane and absurd as it might sound..Teachers are not popular people in America...

Aah, so that explains why my US fiancé has ex pupils all over the world who keep in regular contact with her and hundreds of ex pupil FB friends!
:sarcasm:

Pulaski Jul 22nd 2014 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Boy (Post 11344494)
As insane and absurd as it might sound..Teachers are not popular people in America. ....

Probably the same group of Americans with whom "education" (that the rest of the world would recognize as such) is not popular either!

Michael Jul 22nd 2014 9:26 pm

Love your kids' teachers? Most Americans do, survey says | Minnesota Public Radio News