Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Schools In USA query

British Schools In USA query

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

KOPchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Schools In USA query

Hi everyone...I am desperate to find out about British Schools in the USA.
I am looking for Schools that offer As levels so my daughter can continue and finish her education before University.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Schools In USA query

Originally Posted by KOPchick

I am looking for Schools that offer As levels so my daughter can continue and finish her education before University.
Where do you intend to live in the U.S. and for how long?

On what visa?

And how old is your daughter?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

We are going to King of Prussia....hence the KOP of my username! It will be for 18 months prob rising to 3 years + My daughter is 17, doing A levels in UK, and wants to complete the second year of them.

Cannot find much info at all and am really concerned.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Sorry. Hubby is on a L1-B visa...I will be L2, daughter is still a dependent.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:35 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: British Schools In USA query

Originally Posted by KOPchick

Sorry but it seems that you're out of luck. The nearest British school to KOP is in Washington DC. Most British schools overseas now tend to offer the International Baccaulareate instead of 'A' Levels as it is easier to transfer to universities in a variety of countries, whereas the UK "A" Levels are not so widely recognised.

These are the British schools in the US....actually there was one in NYC which is no longer listed, perhaps it has closed down?

http://www.britishschool.org/site/epage/31211_565.htm

In all honesty, it may be best for your daughter to stay on in the UK to continue with her current course and reside either with a relative or friend, unless her school offers boarding facilities. When my husband was in the Sixth form at his grammar school in Bristol, his parents moved up to Wilmslow in Cheshire. He and his twin brother moved into his best friends house for 18 months to complete "A" levels.

We moved to the States when our daughter was 16 and had just taken her IGCSE's. She knew that she didn't want to transfer to an American school curriculum (she knew American kids of her age at Singapore American School) and decided that it was too different to what she felt comfortable with. Our daughter chose to go to boarding school in England for her "A" levels....although ironically we discovered a few months after moving here that a nearby private school offers the IB - although the fees for day pupils are approx $30,000 per year!

At such a critical stage in your daughter's education you should be asking the company for assistance towards school fees if the local public (state) school in the US is unsuitable.

Also bear in mind that if your daughter is resident outside the EU in the three years preceeding a UK university course you may have to jump through hoops to avoid her having to pay international student tuition fees......

Last edited by Englishmum; Feb 4th 2008 at 3:40 am.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

It used to be that you could at least take the UK exams (on the same day at the same GMT) through the Educational Testing Service. That's how I took my O Levels back in the day - and passed them too, despite having been on the US syllabus for two years. However, looking at the ETS website I see no mention of UK exams, although I have to ask ... are they still called 'A Levels'?

Last edited by Britdrinker; Feb 4th 2008 at 4:19 pm. Reason: corrected my O Level grammar
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

They used to be A levels when I took them! Now I think they are called AS and A2!!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:29 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if they will be of help but have you tried contacting gabbitas in london?
They may be able to point you in directions. I think they cater more about UK schools and insight about foreign schools/unis; not sure about uk schools abroad though. I know that this site is linked and referred to on their site!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of going to one over here, might as well go to a private school back in blighty, get the company to pay for it as part of the package if you can.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

There are non-British schools in the US that offer the international baccaluareate, if you run it on wikipedia there is a list by state.