Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Schools

Wikiposts

British Schools

Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Schools

Schools vary enormously, not just country to country but state to state.

When I moved here, my daughter had already done a year of pre-school in England. We moved to VA, & she couldn't start school for another 2 years & had to do 2 more years of pre-school & was bored. Kindergarten wasn't much better.
Then we moved to PA & in 1st grade she's doing what she did at pre-school in England 5 years ago! She's out of her mind with boredom. After much negotiotion with school, they let her take her own reading books in because their;s are so basic.

On the other hand, my 5th grader is struggling to catch up. His curriculum in VA was about a year behind here, so I guess 2nd-4th grade, they have a big push on learning.

As for the food issue - I totally agree that the canteens are dreadful. Vegetable of the day - chips or tater tots. High sugar soda pushed heavily & not only that, they get sweets all day long from teachers when they get a question right. ARGH! I don't allow all that at home so it makes me mad thay they can get all sugared up at school.

I did see a piece on TV a while back about a school for problem kids. Since they banned soda & sugary stuff, their discipline problems literally disappeared almost immediately. They serve nothing but freshly cooked healthy food & the kids are thriving.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:41 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Schools vary enormously, not just country to country but state to state.

When I moved here, my daughter had already done a year of pre-school in England. We moved to VA, & she couldn't start school for another 2 years & had to do 2 more years of pre-school & was bored. Kindergarten wasn't much better.
Then we moved to PA & in 1st grade she's doing what she did at pre-school in England 5 years ago! She's out of her mind with boredom. After much negotiotion with school, they let her take her own reading books in because their;s are so basic.

On the other hand, my 5th grader is struggling to catch up. His curriculum in VA was about a year behind here, so I guess 2nd-4th grade, they have a big push on learning.

As for the food issue - I totally agree that the canteens are dreadful. Vegetable of the day - chips or tater tots. High sugar soda pushed heavily & not only that, they get sweets all day long from teachers when they get a question right. ARGH! I don't allow all that at home so it makes me mad thay they can get all sugared up at school.

I did see a piece on TV a while back about a school for problem kids. Since they banned soda & sugary stuff, their discipline problems literally disappeared almost immediately. They serve nothing but freshly cooked healthy food & the kids are thriving.
The high school has a good canteen here and they do lots of salads etc. The middle school has a crap menu, Jamie Oliver would have a heart attack. However my kids have never had school meals here or in the UK.
The only exeption..and I almost hate to mention it on this thread...is that Vocelli's Pizza bring pizza in on Fridays. My middle schooler is allowed to have some if her work has been good that week.

Just asked one of my teenagers about the Starbucks in the school....they only sell decaff.

Last edited by jumping doris; Mar 10th 2007 at 5:46 am.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:14 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: British Schools

Originally Posted by jumping doris
The high school has a good canteen here and they do lots of salads etc. The middle school has a crap menu, Jamie Oliver would have a heart attack. However my kids have never had school meals here or in the UK.
The only exeption..and I almost hate to mention it on this thread...is that Vocelli's Pizza bring pizza in on Fridays. My middle schooler is allowed to have some if her work has been good that week.

Just asked one of my teenagers about the Starbucks in the school....they only sell decaff.
that's great about the decaff! 3 cheers for Starbucks (love them anyway).
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

That school does seem pretty responsible.

When my kids changed school, the secretary said they had just re-vamped the menu to make it healthier & I was pleased. But the healthier includes fresh fruit & salad once a week. The rest is pizza, hot dogs & chips. If that's healthier, I dread to think what it was like before!

Good for starbucks on the decaff. I'm a caffeine addict so know how made it is to get hooked on that stuff.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:44 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: British Schools

You've just reminded me that the local Middle school has pizza day on Friday too; their pizzas are brought in by Domino's. Not sure about the High school but they probably have it there too.

Also recall that there was also a Domino's in the canteen at the Singapore American School.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mallory
I agree with everything you said, that children shouldn't be fed so much rubbish. it's a disaster.

the only thing is, everying you quoted is happening in the UK too. which is sad. high fructose corn syrup is called glucose/fructose in the UK, and it's in everything from Ribena and Cadbury's, to sweetened cereals in the UK. the British are becoming fatter every year, obesity is rampant. about 400,000 kids are on ADHD meds.

I don't know what the answer is. i wish they would ban glucose/fructose, along with trans fat. we were better off before we ever heard of it.
I was really interested to read this, as I thought UK foods were healthier as they didn't have high fructose corn syrup. Surprised to find out it's hiding under another name - even in Ribena . And glucose /fructose almost sounds like a health food ingredient!
On a Google lookup found this article from The Times Online - quite an eyeopener.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle691093.ece

I agree I wish they would ban it and transfats too.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 10:51 am
Just Joined

chicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nice

Thanks for replying Hugh. That is the school I was looking into, the one in Chicago. I think I am going to repost my question under a different header because the discussion has moved pretty far sideways from the original.

*Not that your discussion hasn't been interesting. It has!*
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicago_seeker
Thanks for replying Hugh. That is the school I was looking into, the one in Chicago. I think I am going to repost my question under a different header because the discussion has moved pretty far sideways from the original.

If you want the thread to stay on subject you should stay around and keep it on track.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:21 am
Just Joined

chicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nicechicago_seeker is just really nice

Hmm..actually it went sideways right from the start. I think becuase of the header. Anyhow, I am new to posting and that was my first. I came back to it as soon as I was able. I was only gone less than a day.
Besides, I wasn't complaining. I read and enjoyed the discussion that developed.

(Oh, adding a smiley does not take the sting out of a semi-snide comment)
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm..actually it went sideways right from the start. I think becuase of the header. Anyhow, I am new to posting and that was my first. I came back to it as soon as I was able. I was only gone less than a day.
Besides, I wasn't complaining. I read and enjoyed the discussion that developed.

(Oh, adding a smiley does not take the sting out of a semi-snide comment)
You started this thread yesterday morning...your first post after that was this evening complaining the thread had gone off topic so you were going to start a new one.

It wasn't a snide comment...it was a direct comment. I could see you were a newbie and I was just stating a fact...in the hope it may be of use to you the next time you start a new thread. Almost all of the threads go off topic...if the O/P isn't around it will drift off topic sooner rather than later. If everyone opened a new thread 'cos the original had drifted off topic....well I dread to think what would happen.

Anyway welcome to BE.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 10th 2007 at 11:48 am.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

You obviously do!
Myself, I'm a bit more laid back.
For me personally there are far more things in the world to worry about than a Starbucks franchise in a high school.
We are all different and that's what makes the world and BE such an interesting place.
Yes, you are right. I worry about everything, though I only chime in when I think I can successfully argue a point.

This is very cool. I'm really glad to hear that!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

That was all my fault!! I am the hijacker!

Really sorry hun, sometimes I just get carried away!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Molly, just wondered - what part of Michigan are you in? We're in Ludington in the suummers. Gorgeous state.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
Hi Molly, just wondered - what part of Michigan are you in? We're in Ludington in the suummers. Gorgeous state.
Aww, you're just trying to get me to stay off-track! Just teasing!

Really though - we're from Kalamazoo. It must be nice to have a summer home here (I mean, it must be nice to have a winter home somewhere else!!) Michigan is beautiful in the summer, and if we ever did move to a warmer climate, I would miss the trees and lakes like crazy. The seasons are the best. I love the fall colors!

More apols to Chicago Seeker!! I'm terrible!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
Aww, you're just trying to get me to stay off-track! Just teasing!

Really though - we're from Kalamazoo. It must be nice to have a summer home here (I mean, it must be nice to have a winter home somewhere else!!) Michigan is beautiful in the summer, and if we ever did move to a warmer climate, I would miss the trees and lakes like crazy. The seasons are the best. I love the fall colors!

More apols to Chicago Seeker!! I'm terrible!
Oh lol - the OP started a new thread, I figured we were safe. Found you on the map, you're south of me of course. And yes, not sure I'd like to be there in the winter. Of course, I'm in the Chicago area in the winter, less snow I think, but not much better...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.