Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British school of houston

British school of houston

Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Elz1582 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British school of houston

My family have been offered a job for 14 months in Houston. I am currently one year into my GCSE's. Has anyone had any experience of taking their GCSE's at the British school in houston. Also my sister is currently in Year 4- my parents are trying to decided whether she would also go to the British school or maybe try an American school for the 'experience'. Any advice. Also we want to rent a house on the bus route for the British school - any recommendations of areas to live in. Many thanks.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:21 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: British school of houston

Originally Posted by Elz1582
My family have been offered a job for 14 months in Houston. I am currently one year into my GCSE's. Has anyone had any experience of taking their GCSE's at the British school in houston. Also my sister is currently in Year 4- my parents are trying to decided whether she would also go to the British school or maybe try an American school for the 'experience'. Any advice. Also we want to rent a house on the bus route for the British school - any recommendations of areas to live in. Many thanks.
That such an exciting opportuniy for you and your family, but I'm sure its a bit nerve wreaking too! Might be worth posting something in the "youth club" part of the site too so you can speak to some more people who have currtent and first hand expereince, rather than us oldies who went to school in the dark ages!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Someone else might be along a little latrer who lives in the Houston area though, with living recommendations / areas. Best of luck, and have fun!

Last edited by Chrissywissy100; Feb 22nd 2009 at 2:25 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:09 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Congrtas on the upcoming move - you'll have a blast if you're able to embrace the experience entirely and jump in with both feet! I've lived in Houston since 2005 and bought my two kids with me (who are now 13 and 10). Mine are in the Public system, because I too wanted them to have the American experience just as your mum and dad are considering that for your sister.
The British School is a good option for someone like you who is in a critical stage of their GCSE's. In terms of experience of it, I do not have it personally, but work in relocation so have helped many families get their children into that school. The curriculum mirrors what you're doing at the moment, and will in essence be no different for you in terms of the experience you'll have got if you continued in the UK system. It will feel very familiar to you.
The British School has an extensive Bus Route, which I might be able to Private Message to you if I can figure out how to do that! A very popular location for British Expats that are sending thier kids to the BS is Lakes on Eldridge. If you Google that, it will show you all about it. Also, if you visit www.har.com that is a great resource for houses and showing you/your mum and dad what's available.
Houston is a fun place to live and it will give you lots of opportunities for outside activities because of the weather. When are you going to be arriving?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

roughly around July
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

roughly around July
Be prepared to sweat.... and drink lots of water and wear sunscreen!

School's out in July, so it would be hard to see a school in session. Is there any way one of your parents could do a "recce" (reconnaissance trip) to see things now? It'll also be misery driving around loads of places in July.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that's there gonna do
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Personally if it was me.

I'd complete my GCSE's as you say you may be moving back to the UK in 18 months........ and returning home with no exams will be a hindrance.

Sometimes, contracts get extended, and after your exams you find that your family will be staying on in the country then you can enter the US system until you're 18 or so and gain your high school diploma.

Then you're covered for both eventualitites... UK or USA.