Reload this Page >

British retailers in South West

British retailers in South West

Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

gavinx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British retailers in South West

Hi Folks

I live in louisiana where British goods are few and far between (a pub in New Orleans and WorldMarket, alas) but will be in the Phoenix area in a few weeks. I have come across websites for the British Gourmet place in Scottsdale, and the English Rose Tearoom in Tucson. Is there anything else in the area, or perhaps not too far into NM or CA that sells such things? I was in the UK last year and the suitcase-full I brought back has long since run out.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British retailers in South West

welcome to BE

As for shops in AZ...there's a few threads with shops, and websites that would be worth searching out for a head start
Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gavinx
Hi Folks

I live in louisiana where British goods are few and far between (a pub in New Orleans and WorldMarket, alas) but will be in the Phoenix area in a few weeks. I have come across websites for the British Gourmet place in Scottsdale, and the English Rose Tearoom in Tucson. Is there anything else in the area, or perhaps not too far into NM or CA that sells such things? I was in the UK last year and the suitcase-full I brought back has long since run out.
The store is on the SWC of Hayden/Thomas in Snottsdale. Personally, don't know how they keep going.

There's a silly, snotty tearoom in Cave Creek.

George and Dragon north of Central/Indian School.

Churchills in Chandler.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fatbrit;4607292]

She called me up once our group had started up and asked us to all have a meet there... can you imagine? Us lot in a snotty tea room....although we could have all worn a lovely hat

Is the Indian gaff still up and running on 7th and Bell? They sell Brit food although you have to watch their sell by dates.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 5:38 am
PHX
Just Joined

PHX is an unknown quantity at this point

In Fountain Hills there is Fish and Chip shop called "The Codfather", it is not too bad, the owners actually imported a fryer from the UK. I am assuming it is still there as I haven't been out there for a while.

There is also a George and Dragon on 48th St. & Broadway, but the area starts to get a little shady around there.

PHX
Old Apr 8th 2007, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The store is on the SWC of Hayden/Thomas in Snottsdale. Personally, don't know how they keep going.

George and Dragon north of Central/Indian School.

Churchills in Chandler.
Is it a bit rough, then? The place on Hayden/Thomas, I mean.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a bit rough, then? The place on Hayden/Thomas, I mean.
The place on Hayden/Thomas is in a good area but bloody expensive Did not know there was a George and Dragon at 48st/Broadway,Rough area
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:58 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHX
In Fountain Hills there is Fish and Chip shop called "The Codfather", it is not too bad, the owners actually imported a fryer from the UK. I am assuming it is still there as I haven't been out there for a while.

There is also a George and Dragon on 48th St. & Broadway, but the area starts to get a little shady around there.

PHX

The Codfather isn't there anymore...................... not sure if its gone anywhere else
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:59 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

There is an Irish shop in Tempe. The Irish House, I think its called.

They sell back bacon, HP sauce, among other things

Hubby actually found some easter eggs there this year.....

Smarties, crunchie, flake, CDM YUM YUM
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sambuc
There is an Irish shop in Tempe. The Irish House, I think its called.

They sell back bacon, HP sauce, among other things

Hubby actually found some easter eggs there this year.....

Smarties, crunchie, flake, CDM YUM YUM

Thanks for the replies. I confess it is the chocolate and such snacks that I am interested in. Boosts, Lilt, Walkers crisps and that sort of thing. I may try a trip out to the Irish place as it seems to be nearby.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:46 pm
sun lover

Thanks for the replies. I confess it is the chocolate and such snacks that I am interested in. Boosts, Lilt, Walkers crisps and that sort of thing. I may try a trip out to the Irish place as it seems to be nearby.

The address is: The Irish Gift House
1335 W. University Dr. # 7
Tempe, Arizona 85281

Haven't actually been there, but hubby keeps popping in and spending a fortune. Not sure you will find the crisps you want, I was told by the british store in Scottsdale (wouldn't waste the time going up there) that by the time stuff gets through customs alot is out of date.

Anyway good luck
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

The address is: The Irish Gift House
1335 W. University Dr. # 7
Tempe, Arizona 85281

Haven't actually been there, but hubby keeps popping in and spending a fortune. Not sure you will find the crisps you want, I was told by the british store in Scottsdale (wouldn't waste the time going up there) that by the time stuff gets through customs alot is out of date.

Anyway good luck
I called the store in Scottsdale a while back and he told me the same thing. The store I visited once in Houston had all sorts of stuff, including crisps (even the old Monster Munch) but that is a long haul from Baton Rouge. My hotel will be near the place in Scottsdale, but I dont fancy a visit if they dont have anything to sell! Is the selection pretty limited? The website for the English Rose Tearoom in Tucson is pretty extensive, but it is a bit of a drive for a Biscuit Boost!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:15 pm
sun lover

I called the store in Scottsdale a while back and he told me the same thing. The store I visited once in Houston had all sorts of stuff, including crisps (even the old Monster Munch) but that is a long haul from Baton Rouge. My hotel will be near the place in Scottsdale, but I dont fancy a visit if they dont have anything to sell! Is the selection pretty limited? The website for the English Rose Tearoom in Tucson is pretty extensive, but it is a bit of a drive for a Biscuit Boost!

Well I thought the selection was limited, the store is tiny, I think my bathroom is bigger.

Do a search on Costplus and see if there is one close to where you are going to be........... I think they have as good a selection of chocolate than anywhere else.

Unfortunately I have never seen boosts anywhere, sorry

If you are interested there is a pasty shop in Tempe, its great, a little pricey, about $6-7 each, but they are big. They sell all kinds of ones, cheese and onion, original, chicken tikka masala, portabello mushroom ones, a large variety.

Last edited by sambuc; Apr 9th 2007 at 10:18 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Well I thought the selection was limited, the store is tiny, I think my bathroom is bigger.

Do a search on Costplus and see if there is one close to where you are going to be........... I think they have as good a selection of chocolate than anywhere else.

Unfortunately I have never seen boosts anywhere, sorry

If you are interested there is a pasty shop in Tempe, its great, a little pricey, about $6-7 each, but they are big. They sell all kinds of ones, cheese and onion, original, chicken tikka masala, portabello mushroom ones, a large variety.
Thanks for your kind advice. I am partial to a good pasty, and indeed found their website. That I will look forward to.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:20 am
PHX
Just Joined

PHX is an unknown quantity at this point

I will have to second the comment on the Cornish Pasty Co, I have eaten there quite a few times now and have enjoyed it a lot.

I must also add that a grocery store out here called "AJ's" does stock some British food. I mean a limited supply but if you need a quick fix you can items like PG Tips, Salad Cream, Jacobs crackers, Cadburys Chocolate (Made in the Uk, none of the crap manufactured by Hershey's that they sell in Fry's), and a few more things that I forget. Also, if your like me and you miss the really sharp cheddar cheese from back home they have a great selection along with some crusty bread that makes a great cheese and pickle sandwich which i have my family hooked on out here.

PHX