Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Police officer wanting to transfer

British Police officer wanting to transfer

Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Police officer wanting to transfer

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I think being a police officer is one of the most thankless jobs in our country. These are the people who help you when you're in trouble, go into dangerous situations with criminals, and who help to enforce the laws. Someone driving nearly 90 mph in a 65 zone could kill someone - not worth shaving off 5 minutes in your drive to work.

On top of this, it's not a particularly well paid job. You get to deal with the dregs of society, and attitudes such as the ones we have read on this thread.

A shame really - I for one would like to say thank you to these individuals. Lord knows they contribute more to society through their work than I do, and they put up with a lot of crap for their contribution.
Remembering of course it take 40 hours of filming to get 23 minutes for cops ...
and many a US cop have done 25 years service ..
and never drawn their gun ...
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Remembering of course it take 40 hours of filming to get 23 minutes for cops ...
Ah - but I'll never be asked to risk my life in my job.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:05 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leachy99
I am a british police officer who wants to transfer to the USA. It seems on the US recruitment sites that I have seen it states that only US citizens can apply although I am aware of cases where people have transferred to the US from GB. I have a degree which I understand may help - can anybody help me and let me know how I can make this happen?

Regards Chris L
Can you speak spanish by any chance? Baltimpore PD are quite aggressively recruiting officers from Puerto Rico because they need more spanish speakers to deal with the large Hispanic community there. I am not sure how it works but I am assuming that there is some way around to immigration thing. Apparenty they earn 53k a year. You would have to speak american type spanish of course. Maybe a CD and get learning?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Probably because they dont teach art at school.!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:54 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Can you speak spanish by any chance? Baltimpore PD are quite aggressively recruiting officers from Puerto Rico because they need more spanish speakers to deal with the large Hispanic community there. I am not sure how it works but I am assuming that there is some way around to immigration thing. Apparenty they earn 53k a year. You would have to speak american type spanish of course. Maybe a CD and get learning?
Puerto Rico is an American territory. Puerto Ricans are American citizens. They already have unrestricted travel in the U.S. just like citizens that live int he States
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Puerto Rico is an American territory. Puerto Ricans are American citizens. They already have unrestricted travel in the U.S. just like citizens that live int he States
They just don't pay Federal Income Tax. , but that's another story.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

DMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to all

I think being a police officer is one of the most thankless jobs in our country. These are the people who help you when you're in trouble, go into dangerous situations with criminals, and who help to enforce the laws. Someone driving nearly 90 mph in a 65 zone could kill someone - not worth shaving off 5 minutes in your drive to work.

On top of this, it's not a particularly well paid job. You get to deal with the dregs of society, and attitudes such as the ones we have read on this thread.

A shame really - I for one would like to say thank you to these individuals. Lord knows they contribute more to society through their work than I do, and they put up with a lot of crap for their contribution.
agree with your post KJ2007
my husband and I watch Cops a lot. we both agree we're too selfish to ever be cops ourselves, but are thankful they're there
Old Oct 7th 2007, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMKH
agree with your post KJ2007
my husband and I watch Cops a lot. we both agree we're too selfish to ever be cops ourselves, but are thankful they're there
Agree - though Cops is not the best representation of a typical day on the job as Ray points out. (Thank God!) Still - if that work needs to be done - that's who is called to do it!

I'd be too much of a chicken myself.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

DMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Thank goodness, you do not need to be here. And BTW, all police are not like that, even having to deal with a lawbreaker like you Hopefully, you will not need them to help you out before you leave.
You seem to have little respect for anything just because things didn't go as you had hoped. My hubby worked as a civilian for the police in England and is in the interview stage for a civilian job here with our city police. He (and I) have great respect for the police in both countries. He is very impressed with our community's police force and really hopes to get the job.
totally embarrassed that l-s-h said stuff like he did in this thread
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:53 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Agree - though Cops is not the best representation of a typical day on the job as Ray points out. (Thank God!) Still - if that work needs to be done - that's who is called to do it!

I'd be too much of a chicken myself.
My father was a college professor in education, basically teaching teachers. On his syllabus every year was 'Cops Week' where he would show the students a 10-15 minute snippet of Cops, with some wife beater and his heroin-addicted wife getting busted, and then the class would discuss "How best to have a parent-teacher conference with a person like this?"

He said it was quite instructional for helping teachers with the communication skills they would need with some parents.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
My father was a college professor in education, basically teaching teachers. On his syllabus every year was 'Cops Week' where he would show the students a 10-15 minute snippet of Cops, with some wife beater and his heroin-addicted wife getting busted, and then the class would discuss "How best to have a parent-teacher conference with a person like this?"

He said it was quite instructional for helping teachers with the communication skills they would need with some parents.
best way to have a parent teacher conference with a person like that? Armed.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMKH
totally embarrassed that l-s-h said stuff like he did in this thread
He is entitled to his opinion about Cops.
Most of those type of people like to show off how hard or aggressive they would be, if confronted but in reality they haven't got the bottle to do the 'job' itself.
The fun of the job is demeaning people such as that,its actually quite good fun.A true sense of humour is vital though.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:22 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

If your positive opinion of cops is based on Cops, you'll believe any old cack. It's a very one-dimensional, contextless entertainment show, and there's a reason it's scheduled opposite WWE.

Being a police officer isn't even one of the ten most dangerous jobs in the US, but there are not $10,000 rewards available for e.g. crooked roofing contractors that kill their employees through negligence. http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/jobs_jeopardy/

Apart from the tedium of dealing with moron "clients" all day, almost just as bad would be dealing with the cops all day.
Originally Posted by Dogbyte
The fun of the job is demeaning people
If you're not already a cop here, it sounds like you'd fit in nicely.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
If your positive opinion of cops is based on Cops, you'll believe any old cack. It's a very one-dimensional, contextless entertainment show, and there's a reason it's scheduled opposite WWE.

Being a police officer isn't even one of the ten most dangerous jobs in the US, but there are not $10,000 rewards available for e.g. crooked roofing contractors that kill their employees through negligence. http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/jobs_jeopardy/

Apart from the tedium of dealing with moron "clients" all day, almost just as bad would be dealing with the cops all day.

If you're not already a cop here, it sounds like you'd fit in nicely.
Why thank you, I often wondered about joining the Cops, its seems so exciting, got any other tips for me. I'm quite a shy person really and at times feel really insecure but that wont matter will it !.
Oh and by the way, when you quote someone's remark complete the sentence so it gives the correct context.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Shall we repeat that again for the hard of reading?
Aye, but you have to be eligible for when you apply for the job and have applied for when you start the job...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.