Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Police officer wanting to transfer

British Police officer wanting to transfer

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

leachy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Police officer wanting to transfer

I am a british police officer who wants to transfer to the USA. It seems on the US recruitment sites that I have seen it states that only US citizens can apply although I am aware of cases where people have transferred to the US from GB. I have a degree which I understand may help - can anybody help me and let me know how I can make this happen?

Regards Chris L
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Police officer wanting to transfer

a degree in what?
do you wish to continue working in the police force?
family?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:44 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

It may depend on the type of police work you want to do (officer, administration) and what type of department (city, township, county, state) you apply to. Where I live (city police) you have to be a U.S. citizen to be an officer but not for administration.
Just Joined

Apologies - I have a degree in English Literature - how helpful that is I don't know....?! No family - just me.

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Short Answer: Highly unlikely. It is very very difficult to come to the US. You (honestly) would have an easier time marrying an American or going to get your law degree in America than you would coming over as a cop.

But I think one or two might have done it:

Check the Police career section of this board:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

And also this thread from a few years ago:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292511
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

And if possible - I would like to continue with an active role in the police force rather than adminstration - I expect the financial difference between the roles in probably quite considerable.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:47 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leachy99
And if possible - I would like to continue with an active role in the police force rather than adminstration - I expect the financial difference between the roles in probably quite considerable.
Read the links Penguinsix posted. Your chances are pretty much zero, I'm afraid, unless you want to marry an American.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:52 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leachy99
I'm sorry to say that working at a cop in the US is going to require something 'out of the blue' by and large, like you marrying an American (seriously) or getting a green card somehow (i.e. you know where bin Laden is hiding and show the US Navy SEALS his house), and even then, you are looking at years to get all the paperwork sorted and cleared to start looking for a job in the few states that allow non-USC's to be cops. You might have better luck working in the corporate security department of a very large international company and getting transfered to the US. Or you could go back to school, pick up a law degree or some other advanced degree (criminal science / forensics / CSI stuff) and try to come in as an H-1 skills visa (still, that is highly unlikely too).

Because this question gets asked alot ("how do I come to the US") the folks on this board have made a FAQ you should take a look at:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Last edited by penguinsix; Oct 3rd 2007 at 12:56 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I........Because this question gets asked alot ("how do I come to the US") the folks on this board have made a FAQ you should take a look at:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
I think this article should form a SEPARATE part of the Wiki - it seems that hardly any new posters notice it where it is now...
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

A British bobby disillusioned, NEVER !.Trying to dessert the sinking or sunken ship eh !. As has been said the vast majority of the states in the USA require their entrants to be US citizens,as for pay I dont think there will be all that difference,dependant on locality and size of make up of the area in the US it serves.You are probably better looking at Canada?Oz and there are plenty of our lot going there very successfully.I wish you luck.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think this article should form a SEPARATE part of the Wiki - it seems that hardly any new posters notice it where it is now...
Maybe it should be a sticky at the top of teh forum that says "So you Want to Move to America"...
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Maybe it should be a sticky at the top of teh forum that says "So you Want to Move to America"...
And the simple reply underneath would be "DON'T". Eh !
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:58 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Will you plan to issue speeding tickets on July 4th?

I know of one expat here who used to be a local police chief here; I'll see if I can track him down and get some info for you.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

slim to none...most require that you be at least a permanent resident before you can apply and be eligible to apply for US citizenship like in california somewhere....but most places will require you being a citizen....do a search for the subject as it's been asked a few times.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
It's right at the front of the US wiki section though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.