British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Plumber in Arizona (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-plumber-arizona-826830/)

mikelincs Feb 26th 2014 4:16 pm

Re: British Plumber in Arizona

Originally Posted by J Bentley (Post 11149574)
Thanks,

I owned my own bathroom remodeling company in England for 8 years,
We moved here due to my dad being here for 14 years and love it here.

What I'm struggling to find is a company (like mine was)
That did the complete bath remodeling.

So I looked into plumbing servicemen jobs because there is a few jobs here,
I had 3 interviews with different companies, and choose one for a day trial,
First question they asked me is do I have experience in sales???
Over here the plumbers work on commission and try to sell other problems in the house to get better commission.

I walked away after the day trial, I felt like we were searching for little problems to rip the customer off.

The plumbing is a lot different in az to the uk,
Bath tubs, toilets, drainage fitted different to England.

Different kind of Pipes.

I can't find any online to read up on general plumbing in az.

I'd love to find a british plumber who has set up over here.

Thanks

Post #7 has a link you should study, will tell you what is needed to become a licenced plumber.

Giantaxe Feb 26th 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by J Bentley (Post 11149574)
The plumbing is a lot different in az to the uk,
Bath tubs, toilets, drainage fitted different to England.

Different kind of Pipes.

I can't find any online to read up on general plumbing in az.

I'd love to find a british plumber who has set up over here.

Thanks

There must be a plumbing building code for AZ that you can read.

I hired a British plumber in CA about 15 years ago. He had his own business. Unfortunately, I don't have his contact info so other than to say it's possible, I can't help much.

Flabound oneday Feb 27th 2014 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jibsymalone (Post 11149393)
Of course all of this is based off my experience in the electrical field here in Florida. Where (believe it or not) a license is not required at all by the state to be an electrician or plumber (but you need one to be a hairdresser:blink:)! ?

I think I have to disagree, just going through the residential contractor licensing thing myself and I would 99.9% say that the 3 trades that do need state licensing are electrician, plumber and ac.....painters,handymen etc need county licenses but the big 3 need state certification

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...lectrical.html

jibsymalone Feb 27th 2014 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday (Post 11150645)
I think I have to disagree, just going through the residential contractor licensing thing myself and I would 99.9% say that the 3 trades that do need state licensing are electrician, plumber and ac.....painters,handymen etc need county licenses but the big 3 need state certification

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...lectrical.html

Not to be an electrician working for a contractor.
To be a contractor? Then yes a license is absolutely needed. But to become a regular journeyman electrician / plumber no.

There are stipulations on how many licensed journeymen a contractor must have on jobsites, and this varies depending on whether they are an EC or ER and if the site is residential or commercial/industrial. outside of this the contractor can hire as many unlicensed electricians as he likes. This is something my union (IBEW) and NECA has been fighting for a while down here.

Flabound oneday Feb 27th 2014 12:45 pm

ah gotcha, yes you are 'hiding' under their license so they are the responsible ones.................

jibsymalone Feb 27th 2014 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday (Post 11150774)
ah gotcha, yes you are 'hiding' under their license so they are the responsible ones.................

Exactly! This is why they have journeymen, masters and contractors licenses.

S Folinsky Feb 27th 2014 8:27 pm

I can speak only for California. Plumbers are not licensed as plumbers. However, plumbing CONTRACTORS are licensed.

Sometimes, construction unions might be involved for some jobs: http://www.ualocal469.org/

Redwing Feb 28th 2014 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 11151430)
I can speak only for California. Plumbers are not licensed as plumbers. However, plumbing CONTRACTORS are licensed.

Sometimes, construction unions might be involved for some jobs: http://www.ualocal469.org/

That is also true of some other states. There is also a difference between plumbers and pipefitters.

stevie223 Mar 2nd 2014 3:31 pm

Yeah im in the same boat as you. I was a plumber in Northern Ireland and some things are the same but the vast majority is different or the way they do things are different. Im currently working for a plumbing company but ive been told i have to get a plumber in training card. I dont think our British qualifications are accepted over here

J Bentley Mar 3rd 2014 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by stevie223 (Post 11154884)
Yeah im in the same boat as you. I was a plumber in Northern Ireland and some things are the same but the vast majority is different or the way they do things are different. Im currently working for a plumbing company but ive been told i have to get a plumber in training card. I dont think our British qualifications are accepted over here

Hi Stevie,

Are you working a day hourly rate or commission work?

Only plumbing work I can find is commission.
Also the hourly rate less than uk rate for a plumber � ����

Ruth16 Mar 3rd 2014 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by stevie223 (Post 11154884)

Why would you think the same qualifications would be accepted in another country ? Drivers licenses aren't even accepted in a different country permanently are they ? Codes can even vary from State to State in the US.

stevie223 Mar 4th 2014 11:45 am

J Bentley, im getting an hourly rate. Its alot less for sure, they are paying me an apprentice rate even though i know alot more. I guess it is what it is but i mean i dont know if i want to go through another 4/5 years of an apprenticeship again. I might consider doing something else

mamasue Mar 4th 2014 4:39 pm

I think the only qualification you need here in GA is to be overweight and have a lot of bum-crack showing when you bend!!!:eek:

Ruth16 Mar 4th 2014 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by mamasue (Post 11158071)
I think the only qualification you need here in GA is to be overweight and have a lot of bum-crack showing when you bend!!!:eek:

Bum- cracks are for holding a pencil :(

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 4th 2014 9:15 pm

I know at least one in CO. I think he pretty much started from scratch and has to be licensed etc to pull permits. Has his own business.

Plenty of DIY books and then of course code books.

Then there are a few guys who do remodeling but pull in plumbers/electricians etc.