Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British PGCE with American Masters - Texas Teaching

British PGCE with American Masters - Texas Teaching

Old Nov 13th 2015, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

ryan8000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British PGCE with American Masters - Texas Teaching

Well I lived in Louisiana, which probably presents the largest of contrasts as one of the poorer states.

Anyway, thanks all for the help!

It appears I may have a chance If im not fussy and time conscious, assuming the credentials will most likely work out ok. The stumbling block comes from obtaining sponsorship clearly...
Old Dec 13th 2015, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

markhaggis is an unknown quantity at this point

Ryan.
I hold a PGCE and a Texas Educator Certificate. What you need to do to enable you to teach in Texas is join the TEAL at The Texas Education Agency. Then send off to have your PGCE transcripts verified in the US. Then you have to sit the Texas educator's exams in the subject of your teaching. Mine is for Primary which meant I have to sit the Elementary Generalist EC-6 and 4-8 exam along with the Teaching and pedagogy exam. You get a lot of advice on the website. They wont just accept your PGCE.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markhaggis
Ryan.
I hold a PGCE and a Texas Educator Certificate. What you need to do to enable you to teach in Texas is join the TEAL at The Texas Education Agency. Then send off to have your PGCE transcripts verified in the US. Then you have to sit the Texas educator's exams in the subject of your teaching. Mine is for Primary which meant I have to sit the Elementary Generalist EC-6 and 4-8 exam along with the Teaching and pedagogy exam. You get a lot of advice on the website. They wont just accept your PGCE.
Thanks Mark,

Assumable you had to get a sponsored H1-B visa sponsored position too?
Old Dec 13th 2015, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

markhaggis is an unknown quantity at this point

No I'm doing the J1 exchange it last 3-5 years.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

H1b would seem a long shot.

Unless you are have already qualified.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markhaggis
No I'm doing the J1 exchange it last 3-5 years.
I've researched it considerable, and I can't see much difference in terms of the H1-B and the J-1, especially in terms of time. Especially as I'm looking at Special Education

Only thing I can gather is that the H1-B seems more dual purpose with legitimacy to go for a Green card/residency. Whereas the J-1 has a return policy on it, which can't be overturned? But assumably seems easier to get over there in the first place.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryan8000
I've researched it considerable, and I can't see much difference in terms of the H1-B and the J-1, especially in terms of time. Especially as I'm looking at Special Education

Only thing I can gather is that the H1-B seems more dual purpose with legitimacy to go for a Green card/residency. Whereas the J-1 has a return policy on it, which can't be overturned? But assumably seems easier to get over there in the first place.
Watching this thread as I try to get a California credential. I don t hold out much hope the pgce will be enough as ca is kind of stringent on licenses etc. I do have my green card luckily.
Good luck with it
Old Dec 18th 2015, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cherrysoda
Watching this thread as I try to get a California credential. I don t hold out much hope the pgce will be enough as ca is kind of stringent on licenses etc. I do have my green card luckily.
Good luck with it

Good luck! - If you keep ticking the boxes in terms of what you need to do I'm sure you'll eventually get there!

Baffling really as the British education and the schooling system is world renowned, hence why so many internationals come here to study. Conversions are clearly important, but it really should not face as much scrutiny as it does.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryan8000
Good luck! - If you keep ticking the boxes in terms of what you need to do I'm sure you'll eventually get there!

Baffling really as the British education and the schooling system is world renowned, hence why so many internationals come here to study. Conversions are clearly important, but it really should not face as much scrutiny as it does.
I know. Crazy. Our neighbours...the husband had an engineering degree from London university. California still would not let him work here. Now his family live here whilst he works in Dubai and just sees them on holidays.

I am jumping the hoops. Have done the 4 hour reading/ math/ English exam. Passed that but had to study. Harder than the UK skills test on the math. The kids do harder math sooner here I am discovering.
I just cannot face doing two years of study in the subject I am applying for but my degree is not in any related to the high school subjects
So I brace myself for rejection. But I will say I think the high school students are pleasant here. I am in a good school district so no doubt the kind of schools I experienced in London are out there. I will say I get the impression the marking load is less here. Loads of multiple choice and a machine does the marking.. so good for us if not the srudents!