Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Pension

British Pension

Old May 7th 2014, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

hor69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Pension

We were getting all the paperwork ready -Sunday- to send to the Pension department in England when my brother in-law sent us your site.

What a shock!!!

We had no idea we were going to basically lose half of my husband’s pension. It just seems criminal they can do that, I mean we worked all our lives to be able to retire and not worry about money and this happens. I'm one of those who think it my money and not theirs...

Yes we will get a pension here in the States, but it just makes my blood boil to think we've been cheated yet again by bureaucracy.

Thank you everyone for telling your stories, you really opened our eyes. I will be popping on here now and again to see what happening.
Again Thank you everyone
Old May 7th 2014, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Pension

Originally Posted by hor69
We were getting all the paperwork ready -Sunday- to send to the Pension department in England when my brother in-law sent us your site.

What a shock!!!

We had no idea we were going to basically lose half of my husband’s pension. It just seems criminal they can do that, I mean we worked all our lives to be able to retire and not worry about money and this happens. I'm one of those who think it my money and not theirs...

Yes we will get a pension here in the States, but it just makes my blood boil to think we've been cheated yet again by bureaucracy.

Thank you everyone for telling your stories, you really opened our eyes. I will be popping on here now and again to see what happening.
Again Thank you everyone
How about a deep breath and some more detail so that we can understand what the issue is?
Old May 7th 2014, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

There is no issue???
Well not now there isn't..
I was just thanking everyone on here for Solving the issue.
it just annoys me that WEP -which we learned about on here, Sunday- kicks in on your British Pension. At lease we are now forewarned.
But thanks of the offer.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

There is no issue???
it just annoys me that WEP -which we learned about on here, Sunday- kicks in on your British Pension. At lease we are now forewarned.
But thanks of the offer.
How long have you contributed to US social security, and were you making voluntary NI contributions during that time? AIUI that part of your UK OAP that was "funded" by voluntary NI contributions cannot have the WEP applied to it. Also I think I have read here that once you reach a cerain number of years of US social security taxes paid the WEP percentage begins to taper down.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

There is no issue???
But thanks of the offer.
Sorry, what are you talking about??

Can someone please fill us in so we can make appropriate arrangements pension wise, if there's something huge we're (i'm) missing?
Old May 7th 2014, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Roy
I'm going to have to answer you later, Keith is at work and I'm a bit lost on the dates he contributed. He DID contribute while living here but not sure how many years.
<<<snip>>> LOL I will get back to you because the more we talk to people the more we learn
thank you Roy

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 7th 2014 at 5:49 pm. Reason: A little spammy for a new member
Old May 7th 2014, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Sorry, what are you talking about??

Can someone please fill us in so we can make appropriate arrangements pension wise, if there's something huge we're (i'm) missing?
Horace
Do some research on WEP. Windfall Elimination Provision.

(The US govt. wants to make sure you don't make too much in retirement.)
Old May 7th 2014, 3:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

What a shock!!!

Again Thank you everyone
Shouldn't the thread title be "US pension"?

Nothing will happen to your husband's UK pension.
Old May 7th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Shouldn't the thread title be "US pension"?
Nothing will happen to your husband's UK pension.
Right!
And more specifically...."US Social Security Pension"
Nothing will happen to any other types of US pensions either.
Old May 7th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

okay everyone.. this is getting messy

we (my husband and I were on here this past weekend looking for help with our British Pension claim..
if you look into past posts you will find they tell you all about WEP and how you don't get your full pension
As I said to Roy I haven't got the time or the resources right now to answer Roy's question
when I do I will be back
Old May 7th 2014, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Roy
I'm going to have to answer you later, Keith is at work and I'm a bit lost on the dates he contributed. He DID contribute while living here but not sure how many years.
LOL I will get back to you because the more we talk to people the more we learn
thank you Roy
We do have a private message system.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 7th 2014 at 5:50 pm. Reason: Edit to quote
Old May 7th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We do have a private message system.
Yes but OP should reply to the thread because I by no means consider myself an expert on these matters, just mentioning what I recall reading on these forums.
Old May 7th 2014, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

okay everyone.. this is getting messy

we (my husband and I were on here this past weekend looking for help with our British Pension claim..
if you look into past posts you will find they tell you all about WEP and how you don't get your full pension
As I said to Roy I haven't got the time or the resources right now to answer Roy's question
when I do I will be back
Under certain circumstances you may experience a reduction of your Social Security payments due to WEP. Nothing the Social Security Administration can do in the US will impact the amount of your foreign pension, annuities, or other income streams.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 7th 2014 at 5:40 pm.
Old May 7th 2014, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Yes but OP should reply to the thread because I by no means consider myself an expert on these matters, just mentioning what I recall reading on these forums.
Oh sorry, I didn't realize she was answering you, it seemed liked a private communication about work.
Old May 7th 2014, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Messy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.