Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Passports for my kids (born in USA)

British Passports for my kids (born in USA)

Old Jul 1st 2020, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

tropicalrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Passports for my kids (born in USA)

Hi there, I am British and have been living in the US for 13yrs. I have both a British passport and a US passport. I believe I can apply for British passports for my two kids (who are under the age of 18yrs and we’re both born in the US). I’m confused about the fee though - is it 49pounds each or 1012 pounds each? Welcome advice esp from anyone in the know or who has gone through this process... (please share any links to clarify) Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: British Passports for my kids (born in USA)

by the way, for background, I wasn't born in the UK but I had been living there since childhood for about 27yrs... Am I able to get British Passports for my US-born kids if I myself wasn't born in the UK?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tropicalrains
Hi there, I am British and have been living in the US for 13yrs. I have both a British passport and a US passport. I believe I can apply for British passports for my two kids (who are under the age of 18yrs and we’re both born in the US). I’m confused about the fee though - is it 49pounds each or 1012 pounds each? Welcome advice esp from anyone in the know or who has gone through this process... (please share any links to clarify) Thanks
Here are the regular fees, showing the 49 pound for 16 and under.

https://www.gov.uk/passport-fees

If you apply from the US, you will have to pay a courier fee on top of that to return the passports and supporting documents, and you will shoulder the courier fee to send the supporting documents as well. I don't see any way that would add up to a thousand quid. You may be looking at a site which offers a "rush service" in which case you will pay a higher fee and also a commission to the site doing this for you. You don't need them.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

by the way, for background, I wasn't born in the UK but I had been living there since childhood for about 27yrs... Am I able to get British Passports for my US-born kids if I myself wasn't born in the UK?
OK, that's a separate question. You need someone more experienced than I.

You could start by reading here.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not. My daughter is British, born in France and her children do not automatically get citizenship unless they are born in the UK.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Probably not. .....
That is incorrect advice, as if you live in the UK for three years before your child is born you can pass on British citizenship, but I am not sure of the precise rules and procedures. I am hoping that BiP will show up with some specific advice.

This is one consideration that will impact Little Miss P if she were to go to uni in the UK to study for three years (90 days travel outside the UK per year is permitted), as it would mean that any children she has subsequently would (under current rules) have access to a British passport.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 1st 2020 at 5:05 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is incorrect advice, as if you live in the UK for three years before your child is born you can pass on British citizenship, but I am not sure of the precise rules and procedures. I am hoping that BiP will show up with some specific advice.

I said she is british. We passed on our British citizenship to her. She cannot pass it on to her children. Her elder siblings were born in the UK and can.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... She cannot pass it on to her children. .... .
That's the bit that is potentially incorrect. ..... It is currently correct for your daughter, but would change for your daughter if she goes to live in the UK for three continuous years, even if any children she subsequently has are born outside the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 1st 2020 at 5:15 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

People are going to need more info to answer this question.

Where were you born? When? How did you get British nationality? Is one of your parents or both of your parents British? Were THEY born in the UK?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
People are going to need more info to answer this question.

Where were you born? When? How did you get British nationality? Is one of your parents or both of your parents British? Were THEY born in the UK?
This. I was born outside the the UK with a British Mother and German father, but was able to pass my British Citizenship to my sons who were also born outside the UK to me and my USC wife. As noted when is also relevant as there were also changes to the law.

this is a good place to start:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...olicy-guidance

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ic-acquisition
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:08 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Did you do a consular birth registration for your children in the UK, or are you trying to establish if they have a claim to British Citizenship?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

They only have US birth certificates. I'm trying to understand if they have claim to having British Passports along with their US Passports...
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:14 pm

They only have US birth certificates. I'm trying to understand if they have claim to having British Passports along with their US Passports...
Only having US birth certificates isn't an issue, but while there are multiple possible routes to a British passport, depending on your personal history, as per questions posed by SanDiegogirl, above, you can probably (if I understand the rules, "definietly") obtain British passports for your children based on you having lived in the UK for more than three years prior to their birth. I am hoping that BiP will be along to advise, as he is the BE expert on the specifics of passing on British citizenship under circumstances such as yours.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hence, I've asked YOU where you were born, when, and the background to your parents.

Not sure why tht responded or whether his case is relevant
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

I was born in Zimbabwe (formally Southern Rhodesia) '75. My father was born there too in the 1940s. My mother, in India in 1950.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.