British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British passports for children born to British father (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-passports-children-born-british-father-895795/)

Pulaski Apr 26th 2017 12:47 am

Re: British passports for children born to British father

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12238399)
An excellent example of where consular birth registration would future-proof your son's British inheritance.

And a much better investment than a passport which would expire after five years. :nod:

I am looking at finally getting around to a CBR for little Miss P, who recently celebrated her tenth birthday, but if I decide to get her a passport too, "just because", I won't get that until next year when she approaches her eleventh birthday because then when it expires she can replace it with a ten year passport around her 16th birthday.

jonwake Jun 26th 2017 9:00 am

Hi, I've now applied and need to get the documents in within 90 days. I have photocopies of their passports, and originals of my birth certificate, and my marriage certificate.

I'm not sure on a couple of things:
1. Do I need to send my kids birth certificates?
2. The sentence "The passport you entered the country from which you are applying...". I moved to the US in 1999, so do I need to send that passport?

Thanks
Jon

kateinbrooklyn Jun 26th 2017 1:58 pm

1) Yes - you need to send the originals of their birth certificates.

2) No - you need to send your current British passport.

hungryhorace Jun 26th 2017 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3 (Post 12235764)
However, a note to the OP - your children are British Citizens by descent, which means that they CANNOT automatically pass down their British Citizenship to their next generation (the OP's grandchildren) who are born outside of the UK.

This is the main reason I gained Irish citizenship, as they don't place insane bars to citizenship through descent like the UK does.

BritInParis Jun 26th 2017 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by jonwake (Post 12280501)
Hi, I've now applied and need to get the documents in within 90 days. I have photocopies of their passports, and originals of my birth certificate, and my marriage certificate.

I'm not sure on a couple of things:
1. Do I need to send my kids birth certificates?
2. The sentence "The passport you entered the country from which you are applying...". I moved to the US in 1999, so do I need to send that passport?

Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn (Post 12280656)
1) Yes - you need to send the originals of their birth certificates.

2) No - you need to send your current British passport.

You need to send original birth certificates, but not passports. Only a photocopy of the child's passport (if they hold one) is required.