Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British passport renewal...new on forum..HELP!!!

British passport renewal...new on forum..HELP!!!

Old May 29th 2012, 4:15 am
Just Joined

applejuicebaby will become famous soon enough
Default British passport renewal...new on forum..HELP!!!

Hi! May I start this thread by first saying that I am very new to this forum, and appreciate you all reading this!

Here is my dilemma: I am a green card holder, and need to change my name on my passport. Sounds straight forward, right? Here are some factors:

1. I was divorced from my first husband (UKC) and now married to my second (USC). I never reverted back to my maiden name, just went ahead, got married, did the green card thing. However my passport is still in the previous married name. Whilst I know I don't have to, I want to change it to the current married name.

2. My mother was Filipino, my father British (both deceased), and I was born in Bahrain. I have a British birth registration cert, a Bahraini birth cert.

3. I have a green card as a form of ID, and also a state of Louisiana ID (no driver's license), where I reside.

My quandary:

1. This is what the ukinusa site for renewing passports within the US states:

'What supporting documents do I need?
You should submit the following documentation (only original documents – photocopies are not acceptable) to renew your passport.

Change of Name on Marriage or Civil Partnership

'Your current passport; AND
A photocopy of your current ID (eg: driving licence, bank statement, student card, household bill);
Proof that you are currently using the new married name. (Bank statements etc); AND
Marriage certificate recording both the old and new names of the bride and/or groom; AND
Any previous change of name by the bride; OR
Civil partnership certificate.
If you were previously married, in addition to the documents listed you would also need to supply a death or divorce certificate relevant to the previous marriage.

Changing to your husband’s last name

Your current passport; AND
A photocopy of your current ID (eg: driving licence, bank statement, student card, household bill); AND
Your original marriage certificate.'

FIRSTLY, it states you CAN'T have photocopies, then ASKS for a photocopy of a current ID. Which one is it?

SECONDLY, these are the docs I'm thinking of sending. I'm not sure whether I should send originals or copies, or if I shouldn't bother sending some:

a) Birth cert (photocopy?)
b) British Registration of Birth cert (photocopy?)
c) Previous Marriage Crete
d) Divorce cert
e) Current Marriage cert
f) Bank statement
g) Photocopy of Green Card
h) Photocopy of State ID
i) Original passport

Am I going over kill here, or is all of this necessary? Is there anything I'm missing, or anything I should take out? Should I send originals of everything or photocopies? The marriage and divorce certs are easy for me to locate, I won't miss a bank statement, but the rest I feel wary of sending off.

I'm worried if I send originals of the green card, birth cert, birth reg and state ID that they may get lost, or even worse I won't be able to prove my age. (State ID). Am I worrying for no reason?

I'm really sorry if something like this has been answered before. I have looked high and low and not been able to find any info on this, and I'm starting to feel like an alien, wondering if this situation has happened to anyone else before.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to read this, and any suggestions and advice would be most helpful!
Old May 29th 2012, 10:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport renewal...new on forum..HELP!!!

Originally Posted by applejuicebaby
Changing to your husband’s last name

Your current passport; AND
A photocopy of your current ID (eg: driving licence, bank statement, student card, household bill); AND
Your original marriage certificate.'
This is the only section that applies to you! So: your current passport, a photocopy of your current ID (= green card), and the original marriage certificate. Do not send the original green card. This is all you need... don't send any of the other stuff.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 29th 2012 at 10:13 am.
Old May 29th 2012, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is the only section that applies to you! So: your current passport, a photocopy of your current ID (= green card), and the original marriage certificate. Do not send the original green card. This is all you need... don't send any of the other stuff.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.

Ian
I concur...if the OP already has a UK PP all details will be on file.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for replying! Let me just confirm:

So even though I have been married before and my passport is still under that surname I don't need to show a divorce certificate as well as my current marriage certificate?
Old May 29th 2012, 3:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're changing from one married name to another, then you'll also need to send in your original divorce certificate from your previous marriage. I would send in:

- Your current passport
- Your original divorce certificate
- Your original second marriage certificate
- A good quality colour photocopy of your green card

If you want to make doubly sure, then you could send in your British consular birth certificate and your first marriage certificate as well, although that's probably overkill.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for replying! Let me just confirm:

So even though I have been married before and my passport is still under that surname I don't need to show a divorce certificate as well as my current marriage certificate?
Good point. I would include any legal document concerning your ID that you've obtained since obtaining your last PP.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Good point. I would include any legal document concerning your ID that you've obtained since obtaining your last PP.
Thank you so much Jerseygirl! Like BritinParis said, I might just send in the other stuff even if it may be overkill...surely it's better to have too much info than not enough, right?

Previously updating my passport I never added anything about my parents and whatnot, so perhaps I'd be better off sending the info of my birth cert and british reg of birth cert just in case?

it all works out! I'm sending off the paperwork today.

Thank you everyone for your most helpful contributions!
Old May 29th 2012, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you so much Jerseygirl! Like BritinParis said, I might just send in the other stuff even if it may be overkill...surely it's better to have too much info than not enough, right?

Previously updating my passport I never added anything about my parents and whatnot, so perhaps I'd be better off sending the info of my birth cert and british reg of birth cert just in case?

I don't think that is necessary. You may not have had to send off those documents when you previously renewed your UK PP...but you would have sent them when you applied for your first PP.

I would only send documents that you have received since you last applied for a PP. Documents sent when you applied for a first PP and renewals will be on file.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think that is necessary. You may not have had to send off those documents when you previously renewed your UK PP...but you would have sent them when you applied for your first PP.

I would only send documents that you have received since you last applied for a PP. Documents sent when you applied for a first PP and renewals will be on file.

Ok perfect, will do! Omitting the previous birth stuff and just keeping ID, bank statement, divorce cert and current marriage cert as well as OP.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you were born in Bahrain, you should be filling out the sections concerning your parents' details anyway as that is to do with your eligibility for British nationality.

In terms of paperwork, better to send too much if you it to hand than too little and have your application delayed.

A passport examiner will want to see a paper trail and being able to link your previous names to your current one. Since your previous passport was already in your married name, then strictly speaking you shouldn't need to send in anything issued prior to that, but it won't hurt either.
Old May 29th 2012, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Ok so now I'm completely confused. I already filled that out on my firm about being born in Bahrain, etc. also they have record of that on previous passports. Because I am unsure now because I'm being told to include my divorce cert etc and now everything I guess I'll send everything anyway :/ hope it doesn't cause problems.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:14 pm

Ok so now I'm completely confused. I already filled that out on my firm about being born in Bahrain, etc. also they have record of that on previous passports. Because I am unsure now because I'm being told to include my divorce cert etc and now everything I guess I'll send everything anyway :/ hope it doesn't cause problems.
Sorry to confuse you! I think the advice both myself and Jerseygirl are giving is essentially the same. Personally speaking, I'd send in everything just in case as sending in more than is strictly necessary won't cause any problems - the passport examiner will just look at the bits they consider necessary and it will all be sent back to you by courier.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ok perfect, will do! Omitting the previous birth stuff and just keeping ID, bank statement, divorce cert and current marriage cert as well as OP.
Why would you need a bank statement? There is no financial requirement to change the name on your passport. If it's to demonstrate that you are using another name, your green card is proof of that.

surely it's better to have too much info than not enough, right?
No, it isn't. Send what is asked for, and nothing else.

Ian
Old May 30th 2012, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Hi guys! Sorry for the late reply, I've only just gotten in from work. In the end I called up the passport enquiry line, and the lady told me that I wouldn't need to have my birth cert or reg cert. She said all I needed was previous marriage cert, divorce cert, current marriage cert and ID. She said that that would be sufficient!

Not that I don't trust anyone on here, but I thought I would double check to be doubly sure. I thought I'd also let everyone know what the lady on the phone said in case anyone else ever has the same predicament!

Thank you so much everyone, passport stuff has been sent off and hopefully it will all get sorted out soon!
Old May 30th 2012, 12:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi guys! Sorry for the late reply, I've only just gotten in from work. In the end I called up the passport enquiry line, and the lady told me that I wouldn't need to have my birth cert or reg cert. She said all I needed was previous marriage cert, divorce cert, current marriage cert and ID. She said that that would be sufficient!

Not that I don't trust anyone on here, but I thought I would double check to be doubly sure. I thought I'd also let everyone know what the lady on the phone said in case anyone else ever has the same predicament!

Thank you so much everyone, passport stuff has been sent off and hopefully it will all get sorted out soon!
Thanks for letting us know. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.