Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British passport question for 2 us born children

British passport question for 2 us born children

Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

evelyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile British passport question for 2 us born children

Please help if you can. I have been on several web sites but still have three questions about obtaining a UK passport for each of my two young sons.

1. Can I apply for two passports at the same time? Same envelope? We only have one uk birth certificate (father) and therefore cannot include it in two envelopes (for obvious reasons)

2. Do we need to include the boys' US passports with the birth certificates and other documents?

3. Do we need to include the father's UK passport with their application.

thank you thank you
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport question for 2 us born children

Originally Posted by evelyn
Please help if you can. I have been on several web sites but still have three questions about obtaining a UK passport for each of my two young sons.

1. Can I apply for two passports at the same time? Same envelope? We only have one uk birth certificate (father) and therefore cannot include it in two envelopes (for obvious reasons)

2. Do we need to include the boys' US passports with the birth certificates and other documents?

thank you thank you

My advice is to write to the embassy and ask them those same questions if the website hasn't/can't answer them.

I would think:
#1: Yes, the embassy can deal with multiple family members.
#2: I believe Yes, if they have travel documents from the US already. I think it helps to establish their identity certain.
#3: Yes, I sent mine when I applied for my boys passports.

best of luck. The British embassy really are very nice and very helpful.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:18 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

thank you thank you
It was a while ago but I called the embassy, you'll hear a recording, choose the apprpriate options and leave your name and address , in a week or so you'll recieve the necessary forms you'll need to fill out and all the info you'll need , I think it's a C2 form you will need to get passports for the kids

their website is BritainUSA.com

I'm sure you won't have to include their U.S passports but definitly your husbands U.k one..hope this helps ..you'll probably find heaps of info in the immigration forums here
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:56 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

thank you thank you
Hi evelyn
I,ve recently done it so maybe I can help
1) Yes I sent two in the same envelope. So I could send my British passport and birth cert. to be for the both of them. They came back in one envelope as well.
2) I did not include the kids us passport as it has no bearing on the British passport. I did send in their birth cerificates, and in fact they returned my envelope wanting other documentation of their childhood. I sent in a few odd school report cards, the hospital card with their footprints from their birth, and a health report from their doctor with their names and address on it as well as their age. I WOULD REALLY SEND THIS ALL IN! ( it saves you having to send it in after and waste more time)
3) yes, you must send in your husbands passport. ( and no copies, all originals)
They where really great once they had sufficient documents and I received all the papers back intact with their passports in about two weeks.
hope this helps!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

evelyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: British passport question for 2 us born children - thank you

thank you to everyone for being so helpful!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British passport question for 2 us born children - thank you

thank you to everyone for being so helpful!!!
1. Yes
2. No - as someone else said - their U.S. nationality has no bearing.
3. Yes - you only need to send in their British birth certificates, your husbands birth certificate, his U.K. passport and your marriage certificate - all originals. You don't need anyother documentation.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
1. Yes
2. No - as someone else said - their U.S. nationality has no bearing.
3. Yes - you only need to send in their British birth certificates, your husbands birth certificate, his U.K. passport and your marriage certificate - all originals. You don't need anyother documentation.
Hey, someone who was around when I joined. How are things?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
2) I did not include the kids us passport as it has no bearing on the British passport.
It's asked for mainly to prove identity rather than anything else.

I did send in their birth cerificates, and in fact they returned my envelope wanting other documentation of their childhood. I sent in a few odd school report cards, the hospital card with their footprints from their birth, and a health report from their doctor with their names and address on it as well as their age. I WOULD REALLY SEND THIS ALL IN! ( it saves you having to send it in after and waste more time)
This is the fundamental reason why you should get your US born child a consular birth certificate as well as a British passport. Do you really want your child to have to try and dig up documents like this 30 years down the line should he or she have his British passport lost or stolen?

Jeremy
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Hey, someone who was around when I joined. How are things?
Getting better - been in England for almost a year. Over in the U.S. for a visit. Life is improving - at least I have options which I'm thankful for. Who knows I may make it back to the States to live again!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:49 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's asked for mainly to prove identity rather than anything else.

This is the fundamental reason why you should get your US born child a consular birth certificate as well as a British passport. Do you really want your child to have to try and dig up documents like this 30 years down the line should he or she have his British passport lost or stolen?

Jeremy
Jeremy, can you tell me more about a consular birth certificate?
thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 10:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
Jeremy, can you tell me more about a consular birth certificate?
thanks

A consular birth certificate is basically a British birth cert issued by an Embassy overseas. Details will be passed to the General Registrar Office in the UK. The child must be a British citizen.

In a few countries - Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Ireland - the British don't issue consular birth certificates because of the standard of local registration. However they are available in the US.

It will make the child's life easier at passport renewal time in future, or if passport is lost.

It's really unwise to rely on a single document (passport) as proof of citizenship - if the child doesn't have a registration certificate (those who are automatically British won't have) then it's a good idea to get a consular birth cert.
http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=25315

There is no time limit for obtaining one, although anecdotal evidence is that some embassy officials may think there is, so you may need to be persistent.

Jeremy
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:12 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by JAJ
A consular birth certificate is basically a British birth cert issued by an Embassy overseas. Details will be passed to the General Registrar Office in the UK. The child must be a British citizen.

In a few countries - Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Ireland - the British don't issue consular birth certificates because of the standard of local registration. However they are available in the US.

It will make the child's life easier at passport renewal time in future, or if passport is lost.

It's really unwise to rely on a single document (passport) as proof of citizenship - if the child doesn't have a registration certificate (those who are automatically British won't have) then it's a good idea to get a consular birth cert.

There is no time limit for obtaining one, although anecdotal evidence is that some embassy officials may think there is, so you may need to be persistent.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy. I'll get right on it!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:33 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Jeremy, Do you have any idea when the Consular Birth Certificates were introduced, we informed, or registered with, the Consulate when our daughters were born, youngest in 1977, but they didn't say anything about a Consular Birth Certificate then. There was a consulate in Philadelphia in those days.

Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Jeremy, Do you have any idea when the Consular Birth Certificates were introduced, we informed, or registered with, the Consulate when our daughters were born, youngest in 1977, but they didn't say anything about a Consular Birth Certificate then. There was a consulate in Philadelphia in those days.

Thanks

As far as I know they have been around for a long time (ie many decades).
Also, as far as I know there is no time limit on late applications - although anecdotally, some Embassy officials may think there is.

What exactly do you mean by you 'registered with' the Consulate at the time?

Jeremy
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:37 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
As far as I know they have been around for a long time (ie many decades).
Also, as far as I know there is no time limit on late applications - although anecdotally, some Embassy officials may think there is.

What exactly do you mean by you 'registered with' the Consulate at the time?

Jeremy
We gave details of the births and names etc. and they supposedly recorded them. This was done by a whole bunch of families who came here at about the same time (mid sixties).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.