Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British passport for child born in USA

British passport for child born in USA

Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default British passport for child born in USA

I am filling out the smart form version for the UK passport for my child. And I am reading the guidance notes here:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/p...m-guidance.pdf

my concern is section 9 countersignature where it says:

lf you do not know a British national, EU citizen, or other Commonwealth citizen locally with these qualifications, a citizen of the country in which you are residing may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has a similar standing in that country has known you for two years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable. A member of your family should not countersign. (See also Note 11, ‘Photographs’). In certain cases you may be asked to produce further documentary evidence of identity.

My childs doctor has only known my child for ONE YEAR.

Just wondering how other parents have managed to get a countersignature for their babies?

I myself do not have a doctor or nurse or a dentist or a lawyer etc...that I personally have known for 2 years!

So what can I do?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport for child born in USA

Just anyone of standing will do, someone that they could get in touch with basically. It's to stop you finding some random person on the street.

Unless you're moving to the UK though, it is a waste of money as it's expensive and not valid for very long.

Better off just registering the birth, IMO.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Just anyone of standing will do, someone that they could get in touch with basically. It's to stop you finding some random person on the street.

Unless you're moving to the UK though, it is a waste of money as it's expensive and not valid for very long.

Better off just registering the birth, IMO.
Thanks Bob, I already registered her birth here, but now need to get her first British passport.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:09 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by whatadiva
Thanks Bob, I already registered her birth here, but now need to get her first British passport.
I think what Bob is suggesting is registering her birth with the British Embassy in addition to the local registration the US.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
I think what Bob is suggesting is registering her birth with the British Embassy in addition to the local registration the US.
Yes, because it is cheaper and lasts a life time, rather than a passport that's only good for a few years.

Though if one is moving back to the UK, then sure, get the passport. Other wise, just get it when you're over on holiday and save a fortune.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
rather than a passport that's only good for a few years.
An expired UK passport (no time limit) is an acceptable document for entering the UK - unfettered access, no immigration control.

There are plenty of people who only keep their US/CDN/OZ passport current, use that to fly to the UK, and upon landing show their expired UK passport to avoid the limitations of non-EU passports.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
An expired UK passport (no time limit) is an acceptable document for entering the UK - unfettered access, no immigration control.

There are plenty of people who only keep their US/CDN/OZ passport current, use that to fly to the UK, and upon landing show their expired UK passport to avoid the limitations of non-EU passports.
Yes and?

A kids passport is still only valid for a few years, compared to an adult passport and when the kid will be required to have a US passport to enter/exit the US anyway, there is very little point in spending the huge extra cost on a UK passport while in the US.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
this threw me off. I registered my DD birth with the British Consulate in Washington using this link here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

what other registration is there?
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

this threw me off. I registered my DD birth with the British Consulate in Washington using this link here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

what other registration is there?
That's it.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's not even a concern. Obviously no-one could have known a new born child for more than two years. Just ensure that your doctor completes the countersignatory section correctly and endorses the photos correctly with the full phrase.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

I have been so stressed lately. I sent off my daughters UK passport application with the moneygram money order BUT forgot to include her countersigned photos!!!ARRRGGHHH.
I called the moneygram number to check on the status of the moneygram money order and it tells me it has been cashed ($167) on Sept 26.
Calling the number is a pain.
So even though the money order has been cashed, can I just go ahead and mail the photos with a letter and a photocopy of my certified mail receipts tomorrow?
Old Sep 28th 2012, 3:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I have been so stressed lately. I sent off my daughters UK passport application with the moneygram money order BUT forgot to include her countersigned photos!!!ARRRGGHHH.
I called the moneygram number to check on the status of the moneygram money order and it tells me it has been cashed ($167) on Sept 26.
Calling the number is a pain.
So even though the money order has been cashed, can I just go ahead and mail the photos with a letter and a photocopy of my certified mail receipts tomorrow?
If this isn't a first time passport or she's not changed much since the last, wouldn't need a counter-sig, but if she does, they'll ask you for it, so better to wait I'd think than send it in on it's own.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
If this isn't a first time passport or she's not changed much since the last, wouldn't need a counter-sig, but if she does, they'll ask you for it, so better to wait I'd think than send it in on it's own.
This will be her FIRST UK passport.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 4:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

This will be her FIRST UK passport.
They may well contact you and tell you there are no pictures in. I missed something for my sons, got a phonecall and had to send a fax to them. Only you'll have to mail the pics.
that they think they have fallen out when someone opened the packet and it's their fault
Old Sep 28th 2012, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
They may well contact you and tell you there are no pictures in. I missed something for my sons, got a phonecall and had to send a fax to them. Only you'll have to mail the pics.
that they think they have fallen out when someone opened the packet and it's their fault
Negative I am having to deal with getting my ACRO UK police certificate done and I sent my daughter pics with the application to my mum!!!! cause she's paying for my ACRO! ugh, so we had another set done yesterday at walgreens got it countersigned and will mail tomorrow certified.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.