Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British passport application qestion

British passport application qestion

Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

islo123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passport application qestion

I'm a dual US/UK citizen who has lived in the US for 28 years. When I went to my US naturalization ceremony in 2000 they asked me to surrender my British passport, and I did. It was due to expire in 2003, I think. Somewhere in this forum I read that I needn't have surrendered it, but I had no clue of that at the time.

I've been using my US passport ever since, but now I'd like to renew my British passport, and I don't know what to put on the form about my previous passport. Various options occur to me:
1. Should I send an older one I have, that expired in 1993?
2. Should I say that I lost it?
3. Should I try to get my British passport back from US Immigration so that I can send it with my application?

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport application qestion

One suspects the 1993 one is already canceled. This would raise questions if you sent it in.

Your 2003 one has been expired for 9 years so you will probably have to apply as if it was your first. Ie. Not a renewal
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
One suspects the 1993 one is already canceled. This would raise questions if you sent it in.

Your 2003 one has been expired for 9 years so you will probably have to apply as if it was your first. Ie. Not a renewal
It's 10 years, before you have to apply as if it were a first passport, but as he doesn't have it to send in with the application, it'll be applying as a first timer anyway.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islo123
I don't know what to put on the form about my previous passport.
Why don't you just tell the truth... that you handed over Crown property to the US? If you're uncomfortable with the truth, simply indicate that it is unavailable - you don't really need to be specific about why you don't have it. As it is, you're probably going to need to apply as though it's a first passport anyway.

Ian