Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Nurse

Wikiposts

British Nurse

Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Nurse

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Mine's pretty awesome.

I live in a great city. I can ski and snowboard at my leisure - some of the best skiing is 90 minutes up the road. I can mountain bike or road bike or hike in stunning scenery. I can white water raft with friends. I can enjoy one of the best Lindy Hop/Balboa scenes in the world.
I can kick back with a brew after doing a jaunt with my running club.
Or ride cruiser bicycles with 1,500 other costumed idiots.
I enjoy 300 days+ of sunshine a year. I am not treated like an infant by an oppressive and intrusive government. I can enjoy shooting with friends.
I am not surrounded by Debbie Downer cynics who think they're being ironic.
I don't have to live around petty, jealous and nosy people.

I don't have to endure processed, packaged pop music. I can enjoy real music, played by real musicians.
I enjoy the diversity of my friends; pilots, doctors, bike fabricators, postal workers, students, rockabillies, gays, straights, survivalists, leftwing wackos, vegans, property developers, burlesque dancers, transvestites, magazine publishers; whatever.

I can enjoy some excellent beer, have a campfire, talk and drink and eat in my car, take amazing roadtrips, see eagles, condors, rattlesnakes, Grand Canyons, whales, scorpions, tarantulas, Garden Districts, hunt an animal, watch MNF, play frisbee in the park, watch the ballet, see a broadway show, spend the weekend in Manhattan, ride a motorcycle without a helmet (I haven't done this yet), see exotic wildlife like bears, and mountain lions and coyotes, own whatever dog I want, coach a soccer team. I can drive what I want. Not recycle. See the Milky Way. Aspen trees. Sunsets. Purple mountain majesties. Parades. Restaurant samplers. Hallowe'en. AMC. No chavs, no getting beaten up or glassed on a night out. No pickpockets. No car crime. Night skiing. Lift kits. Snow tires. Scooters.

And Colorado girls...
I'm leaving Mass for the jobless, hubless bliss of Colorado
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Mine's pretty awesome.

I live in a great city. I can ski and snowboard at my leisure - some of the best skiing is 90 minutes up the road. I can mountain bike or road bike or hike in stunning scenery. I can white water raft with friends. I can enjoy one of the best Lindy Hop/Balboa scenes in the world.
I can kick back with a brew after doing a jaunt with my running club.
Or ride cruiser bicycles with 1,500 other costumed idiots.
I enjoy 300 days+ of sunshine a year. I am not treated like an infant by an oppressive and intrusive government. I can enjoy shooting with friends.
I am not surrounded by Debbie Downer cynics who think they're being ironic.
I don't have to live around petty, jealous and nosy people.

I don't have to endure processed, packaged pop music. I can enjoy real music, played by real musicians.
I enjoy the diversity of my friends; pilots, doctors, bike fabricators, postal workers, students, rockabillies, gays, straights, survivalists, leftwing wackos, vegans, property developers, burlesque dancers, transvestites, magazine publishers; whatever.

I can enjoy some excellent beer, have a campfire, talk and drink and eat in my car, take amazing roadtrips, see eagles, condors, rattlesnakes, Grand Canyons, whales, scorpions, tarantulas, Garden Districts, hunt an animal, watch MNF, play frisbee in the park, watch the ballet, see a broadway show, spend the weekend in Manhattan, ride a motorcycle without a helmet (I haven't done this yet), see exotic wildlife like bears, and mountain lions and coyotes, own whatever dog I want, coach a soccer team. I can drive what I want. Not recycle. See the Milky Way. Aspen trees. Sunsets. Purple mountain majesties. Parades. Restaurant samplers. Hallowe'en. AMC. No chavs, no getting beaten up or glassed on a night out. No pickpockets. No car crime. Night skiing. Lift kits. Snow tires. Scooters.

And Colorado girls...
A lot of this describes our lifestyle too. Not the Colorado girls bit so much though. And I'm from Manchester
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:24 pm
Sib
Just Joined

Sib is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
I hear a lot about this so called lifestyle.

I would like to see evidence to the contrary before I concede I am not right.

disintergrating infrastructure
18% un and under employment
$7 minimum wage
9 days paid holidays on average
at will employment
rah rah patriotism when we as a nation can for the most part only afford to shop at Walmart.
no community
beggers on street corners now
inner cities becoming empty shells of their former selves
gazzilions in debt
sub prime disaster
no manufacturing
no public trasport
healthcare the nation cannot afford and 22nd in infant mortality

your turn.
If that list is everything that defines your lifestyle, then perhaps you need to stop spending time on forums, get out and live a bit more.

Oh, and I agree with whoever's already said it - if you're not content with your own lifestyle, i.e., everything you've listed, then go home!

Last edited by Sib; Sep 29th 2010 at 8:45 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sib
If that list is everything that defines your lifestyle, then perhaps you need to stop spending time on forums and live a bit more.
again attack the messenger and not the message.

I do get out and live thank you, but that doesn't stop there being beggers on the streets........ I guess I just look around me and am not insular to just me myself and I.

and the "if you don't like it here then go home" arguement is terribly weak

1 in 4 home sales this year have been foreclosures

Last edited by Manc; Sep 29th 2010 at 8:52 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:16 pm
Sib
Just Joined

again attack the messenger and not the message.
I like to think of it as a bit of friendly advice, really. If you choose to take it as an attack and be all defensive about it, then you feel free to.

I do get out and live thank you, but that doesn't stop there being beggers on the streets........ I guess I just look around me and am not insular to just me myself and I.
There are beggers on the streets no matter what country you're in it's not specific to where you live and never will be, so please don't make out as if you give a damn more than the next person. There are people who notice the problems in the world, try to do our bit to help, and live our lives as best we can, and if the OP wants to move to America because they strongly believe their quality of life can be enhanced by doing so based on previous personal experience, who are you to tell them that they are wrong.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sib
I like to think of it as a bit of friendly advice, really.
but you don't know anything about me?

There are beggers on the streets no matter what country you're in it's not specific to where you live and never will be, so please don't make out as if you give a damn more than the next person.
I would say, given the past decade there are significantly more than in say, 2003.

I would imagine it would concern anyone if the poverty levels increased significantly where they lived.

And yes, to be honest I do think I give a damn more than the average person.

The "I'm all right jackers" got just as nasty a surprise in Paris in 1799 too.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:39 pm
Sib
Just Joined

but you don't know anything about me?
The same way you don't know anything about the OP, or what is considered a good lifestyle to them.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

The "I'm all right jackers" got just as nasty a surprise in Paris in 1799 too.

Sorry bit of pedantry there.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sib
The same way you don't know anything about the OP, or what is considered a good lifestyle to them.
But they're basing things on perceptions that aren't necessarily true.

Manc hasn't said anything that's crazy, so why move country and swap the same sort of problems with, well the same but on a bigger scale?

If someone wanted to move over because they have the chance and an opportunity came along for a bit of an adventure, they liked living in the mountainside or to go snorkling, whatever that they might be able to do more of, then fair enough.

Not having enough time off work to enjoy any of that won't improve a lifestyle though and escaping what one percieves as the ills of one country won't gain anything either.

And it's all really rather a moot point.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

It's true, if you go to all the other expats forums for the other countries they are all complaining about exactly the same stuff; cost of living, jobs, under/un-employment, healthcare, house prices, weather, the culture etc... The same things everyone complains about in the U.K and - come to think of it - the same things my USC OH complained about when she was living in the U.K. The ideal country just doesn't exist, it's your personal situation that matters.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:22 am
Sib
Just Joined

Well, whatever the OP decides, I wish them the best of luck.