Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Mortgage & Tax return

British Mortgage & Tax return

Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default British Mortgage & Tax return

Does anybody know if I can claim any sort of US Tax break for the mortgage I still have in the UK. We are about to sell after 2 years but it would be nice to offset some to my losses
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:46 am
Just Joined

armstrongsoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Mortgage & Tax return

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
Does anybody know if I can claim any sort of US Tax break for the mortgage I still have in the UK. We are about to sell after 2 years but it would be nice to offset some to my losses
No, you cannot deduct mortgage interest from overseas.

Furthermore, loss in selling your personal residence is not tax deductible either.

Very sorry.

Last edited by meauxna; Feb 1st 2010 at 7:29 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
Assuming your principal residence is in the US:

1. If the property in the UK is vacant, you may be able to treat it as your second home and deduct the mortgage interest

2. If the property in the UK is rented out, you can deduct the mortgage interest as an expense against the rental income. If you generate a loss for tax purposes you may be able to deduct some or all of this against other income (subject to the passive activity loss rules)

Finally when you sell the UK property, you may have a foreign exchange gain or loss when paying off the mortgage.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

armstrongsoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by armstrongsoo
No, you cannot deduct mortgage interest from overseas.

Furthermore, loss in selling your personal residence is not tax deductible either.

Very sorry.
I stand corrected. I contacted the IRS today and confirmed that the fact that the property is outside of the USA does not preclude mortgage interest from being deducted, as long as it meets the other requirements as if the property was in the USA.