Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"The British Are More Intelligent And Civilized Than The Americans”...

"The British Are More Intelligent And Civilized Than The Americans”...

Old Dec 2nd 2006, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute
Default "The British Are More Intelligent And Civilized Than The Americans”...

...a quote from Gwyneth Paltrow...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061202...s_061202155325

...and some comments... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/1...i_n_35410.html

Any comments from here?!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:24 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The British Are More Intelligent And Civilized Than The Americans”...

It depends on the kind of people that you hang around with in either place. It's all very relative..
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "The British Are More Intelligent And Civilized Than The Americans”...

Oh, for Pete's sake. Why do we give a toss what these celebrities think?
Like they really represent the ordinary people of this or the other nation.

Mind, the thread title is great, as an alternative we could have:

"Americans are fu(kin shite, their country is a hugh khazi and the English are the best people on Earth."
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:41 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moving?
...a quote from Gwyneth Paltrow...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061202...s_061202155325

...and some comments... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/1...i_n_35410.html

Any comments from here?!

Quote from my American husband, "She'll get a lot of flak for that, but it's true."
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah
Quote from my American husband, "She'll get a lot of flak for that, but it's true."
just showed it to my usc husband who lived/worked in the uk for 18 yrs and seems he agrees with the majority of her comments.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:14 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

This bit is just precious:

She said having US pop star Madonna, 48, who married British film director Guy Ritchie six years ago, nearby was another advantage to living in London.

"She's like an older sister. Everything I have gone through, she went through ten times worse and ten times longer. She gives me good advice about how to say no and take care of myself," said Paltrow.

Am I the only who sees the **cough** irony in one wealthy person seeking guidance from another wealthy person about how to live a non-materialistic lifestyle, while both of them live in the lap of luxury?

As the great philosopher Madonna once said:

Living in a material world
And I am a material girl
You know that we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl

No, I'm not bitter...
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:25 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

I have 0 time for all celebrities. They all look the same to me in a pair of braclets and an interview room.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gardnma
Oh, for Pete's sake. Why do we give a toss what these celebrities think?
Like they really represent the ordinary people of this or the other nation.

Mind, the thread title is great, as an alternative we could have:

"Americans are fu(kin shite, their country is a hugh khazi and the English are the best people on Earth."
LOL!!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:49 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes a change from all the British celebs who come to the US, and spend the rest of their careers telling everyone what a sh*thole the UK is.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it's all relative, and impossible to make judgements on entire populations based on dinner party conversation.

She's continually grabbing headlines by giving US vs England opinions: last year it was complaints that Britain is too dirty and has lousy customer service, before that she said that Madonna told her to have her babies in the US and not the Victorian UK hospitals, and the year before that she was critical of British men, saying they never asked her out and they had bad teeth.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,337841~7~~,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4357650.stm

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...sh%20hospitals
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
I agree that it's all relative, and impossible to make judgements on entire populations based on dinner party conversation.

She's continually grabbing headlines by giving US vs England opinions: last year it was complaints that Britain is too dirty and has lousy customer service, before that she said that Madonna told her to have her babies in the US and not the Victorian UK hospitals, and the year before that she was critical of British men, saying they never asked her out and they had bad teeth.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,337841~7~~,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4357650.stm

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...sh%20hospitals
Unlike us
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of celebs, Madonna seems to be quite happy in the UK doesn't she?

But like everyone else has said, who gives a toss about them all, when you've got more money than sense you can move to wherever you like at a moments notice.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess she had to move to England to become more intelligent and acquire more civility. After all, being American she did start out with the disadvantage of being of lesser intellect and a common heathern. :scared:
Oh well, cheers to bloody Britain!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:00 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

She says what suits her depending on where she is..

I've just remembered that she used to spend time in Spain as a child and she was even given the "keys" to a certain town a few years ago. Whenever she visits Spain she is full of compliments about the place and its people..

Now that she lives in England with her British husband and kids she can't really afford to say anything bad about England.. though she is a bit mouthy now and then..
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:07 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
I guess she had to move to England to become more intelligent and acquire more civility. After all, being American she did start out with the disadvantage of being of lesser intellect and a common heathern. :scared:
Oh well, cheers to bloody Britain!
I disagree with her completely. By the way I think you'll find it's spelt "Heathen" my USC friend. have a lovely evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.