British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British law requires learning of English to receive benefits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-law-requires-learning-english-receive-benefits-426012/)

ali_j Feb 12th 2007 2:18 pm

British law requires learning of English to receive benefits

This is interesting, in light of the ever-present immigration debate in the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6352793.stm

Basically, a new law in Britain will require people to demonstrate competency in English to receive unemployment benefits...from what I've read in the press, and heard from people here, sounds like something that would be generally popular in the US, too.

USBound Feb 12th 2007 2:33 pm

Re: British law requires learning of English to receive benefits

sadly in the US the only democratic/sensible thing to do would be to require people to know EITHER english or spanish.

Englishmum Feb 12th 2007 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by ali_j (Post 4393379)

Basically, a new law in Britain will require people to demonstrate competency in English to receive unemployment benefits...from what I've read in the press, and heard from people here, sounds like something that would be generally popular in the US, too.

I don't know why this wasn't implemented years ago.

I used to work at an unemployment benefit office and you would not believe the number of South Asian men who would bring their wives in to sign on. They were mostly from the villages, had had very little education and couldn't speak or read English. They were pretty much unemployable unless they worked in kitchens or cleaning etc. but even then wouldn't be able to understand instructions without an interpreter. I expect that the problem has grown with asylum seekers from so many different countries speaking different languages, looking for work.

The local newspaper in my home city (Coventry) is always advertising in the job section for school classroom assistants speaking in a variety of languages - some of which I've never even heard of. The cost must be enormous.

How can anyone planning to settle in the UK hope to participate in British life if they can't communicate with anyone outside their ethnic community? It creates a ghetto mentality. I'm sure that this affects more women than men - certainly from South Asia eg. Bangladesh, India, Pakistan as they're from a patriarchial society.

Does anyone know if the law may have been changed in the UK, that spouses brought in from overseas have to show at their visa interview that they understand basic English? I seem to recall that it was going to be implemented, not sure if it ever was or not?

another bloody yank Feb 12th 2007 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 4393608)
Does anyone know if the law may have been changed in the UK, that spouses brought in from overseas have to show at their visa interview that they understand basic English? I seem to recall that it was going to be implemented, not sure if it ever was or not?

Some Americans will be in trouble...

dunroving Feb 12th 2007 3:46 pm

Goodness me, next thing you know all those Brits who retired to Spain will be expected to speak Spanish in order to get any benefits. What is the world coming to? :rofl:

Richardowen Feb 12th 2007 4:03 pm

About time too I say... personally I think that there should be a test at the POE and those not able to order bangers and mash, a pint and a chaser should be sent to France, or shot - their choice ! :blink:

gardnma Feb 12th 2007 4:06 pm

Sure, why not?

In fact, why not make it a condition of citizenship? Give them a year or so to get a bsic grasp then review the status. Free classes to teach it.

Hell, they had me down for a TOEFL class at first until I called them up and told them what a bloody stupid idea that was.......... :rofl: :rofl:

gardnma Feb 12th 2007 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Richardowen (Post 4393725)
About time too I say... personally I think that there should be a test at the POE and those not able to order bangers and mash, a pint and a chaser should be sent to France, or shot - their choice ! :blink:

Go through a lot of bullets that way......

TruBrit Feb 12th 2007 4:10 pm

and about bloody time to .....that is good news :)

Bob Feb 12th 2007 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma (Post 4393736)
Sure, why not?

In fact, why not make it a condition of citizenship? Give them a year or so to get a bsic grasp then review the status. Free classes to teach it.

There is, and they do provide the classes...don't know how low the standard is though :lol:

anotherlimey Feb 12th 2007 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma (Post 4393736)
Sure, why not?

Hell, they had me down for a TOEFL class at first until I called them up and told them what a bloody stupid idea that was.......... :rofl: :rofl:

I thought it was now required for British Citizenship?

I remember reading a BBC article about some Ozzie's getting turned down for failing the English test.

Richardowen Feb 12th 2007 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 4393778)

I remember reading a BBC article about some Ozzie's getting turned down for failing the English test.

"Some" ozzie's ...hahahahaha

gardnma Feb 12th 2007 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4393766)
There is, and they do provide the classes...don't know how low the standard is though :lol:

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 4393778)

Mille-wauke.......I did not know that.:D

Sounds like they did something intelligent for a change.....
prob should have mentioned in case you didn't know:

TOEFL = Test Of English as a Foreign Language.......:eek:

paddingtongreen Feb 12th 2007 6:30 pm

English used to be a requirement for citizenship, here. Classes were held at night schools.

There is a hilarious book, "The Education of Hyman Kaplan", about such a class. I checked, Amazon.uk has it but not amazon.usa.

I read it before I came here, but I enjoyed it so much that it has stuck in my memory.