Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British hair stylist moving to Los Angeles

British hair stylist moving to Los Angeles

Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British hair stylist moving to Los Angeles

Originally Posted by Boiler
You may be able to help, this was over a beer conversation last Sunday and we are all non IT people.

I have seen during my work life jobs go. My Grandfather was a Coal Miner then Automotive, my Dad worked for Fords, I was in Commercial Insurance and during my time many of the companies I dealt with in the manufacturing side went under or moved overseas. Even in Insurance most of the back office functions initially moved out of the City and then went to India. And I have been out for some time so I assume it is even more prevalent.

GM closed down a factory last week, CNN interviewed a line worker who was earning $75k installing trim and had little hope of another job, guess she was 50 ish.

We were wondering why so many well paying IT jobs remain, much easier to move than an IT job than a Car Plant we thought. I do know a few people in IT and they seemingly work from home a lot, well why pay US wages at all?
Back in the 90s, the start of 'outsourcing' and 'offshoring' IT jobs began. We (my workmates and I) all thought it was the beginning of the end, because as you note - an IT job can be located 'anywhere'. Lots of companies started moving jobs to India and other similar locations (Eastern Europe is also now a target) but - after 20+ years, it hasn't had a major impact. Sure, every company in Silicon Valley has a big tech center in India, the Philippines, Hungary, or whatever but they still have a huge local presence. One friend of mine works for "Walmart Labs' in ... San Jose; this company from Arkansas - where I'm sure there are cheaper programmers - chose to set up it's new 'tech' center in San Jose rather than anywhere else in the US, let alone offshore somewhere. So there's something about 'critical mass' and 'experienced workforce' that keeps it rooted, it seems.

I tried to talk my two nieces in the UK to go into software, but ... no go. I guess the 'STEM' education crisis is alive and well in the Western World.

Anyway - I was just inspired to post this when I saw all the hassles people are having to go through to be allowed to cut hair in the US.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Back in the 90s, the start of 'outsourcing' and 'offshoring' IT jobs began. We (my workmates and I) all thought it was the beginning of the end, because as you note - an IT job can be located 'anywhere'. Lots of companies started moving jobs to India and other similar locations (Eastern Europe is also now a target) but - after 20+ years, it hasn't had a major impact. Sure, every company in Silicon Valley has a big tech center in India, the Philippines, Hungary, or whatever but they still have a huge local presence. One friend of mine works for "Walmart Labs' in ... San Jose; this company from Arkansas - where I'm sure there are cheaper programmers - chose to set up it's new 'tech' center in San Jose rather than anywhere else in the US, let alone offshore somewhere. So there's something about 'critical mass' and 'experienced workforce' that keeps it rooted, it seems.

I tried to talk my two nieces in the UK to go into software, but ... no go. I guess the 'STEM' education crisis is alive and well in the Western World.

Anyway - I was just inspired to post this when I saw all the hassles people are having to go through to be allowed to cut hair in the US.
It is not just hair, I have friends in the Construction business who I help out, the other day a Government entity needed snow cleared and they had requirements for Contractors, another friend is the only guy for many miles who could meet them, to plow snow.

I appreciate the STEM issue, I have seen many similar comments about the need for affirmative action, never understood how that added up when female students are now a majority overall.

I also understand the critical mass argument, but I can name numerous examples of historically critical mass industries that have all but disappeared.

Perhaps there is enough money flowing around currently there is not the pressure.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

A reason that software development is going strong in the USA is because all the product and business decisions are being made here. It's much easier to manage an onshore development team where you can pull everyone together, even if it is by a video call. No language barriers, cultural differences (for the most part) to concern yourself with.

Also, if the offshore isn't on payroll, then it's become my experience that every project will be bloated so that the offshore company get paid more.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
A reason that software development is going strong in the USA is because all the product and business decisions are being made here. It's much easier to manage an onshore development team where you can pull everyone together, even if it is by a video call. No language barriers, cultural differences (for the most part) to concern yourself with.

Also, if the offshore isn't on payroll, then it's become my experience that every project will be bloated so that the offshore company get paid more.
Oh, I'm quite familiar with the difficulties and shortfalls of using offshore teams. But they do now seem to have a role in any moderate-sized company.

On the hairdresser front ... had my hair cut today. My hairdresser is the owner of the business. I asked her if she rents out stations; she said no, it would be too expensive. She's in a prime location on the busiest street in town (appropriately, 'Main St'). She said her rent is $11,000 / mo and she'd have to rent out a station for $2,000/mo. She has about 8 'stations' in her business. She said she has people working "on commission"; she elaborated to say, the 'worker' gets 50% and she gets 50% of every customer. She said she provides all the materials (products). I only ever see a few hairdressers there at any time, but maybe at peak times things fill up. My simple (literally, 10 minute) haircut used to cost about $15 but she's upped it to $28. My g/f gets a hair color (hide the gray by coloring it black) every few months and that now costs her anywhere from $90 to $150, depending on whether she has a 'touch up', a full coloring, or 'streaks'.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Oh, I'm quite familiar with the difficulties and shortfalls of using offshore teams. But they do now seem to have a role in any moderate-sized company.

On the hairdresser front ... had my hair cut today. My hairdresser is the owner of the business. I asked her if she rents out stations; she said no, it would be too expensive. She's in a prime location on the busiest street in town (appropriately, 'Main St'). She said her rent is $11,000 / mo and she'd have to rent out a station for $2,000/mo. She has about 8 'stations' in her business. She said she has people working "on commission"; she elaborated to say, the 'worker' gets 50% and she gets 50% of every customer. She said she provides all the materials (products). I only ever see a few hairdressers there at any time, but maybe at peak times things fill up. My simple (literally, 10 minute) haircut used to cost about $15 but she's upped it to $28. My g/f gets a hair color (hide the gray by coloring it black) every few months and that now costs her anywhere from $90 to $150, depending on whether she has a 'touch up', a full coloring, or 'streaks'.
Woah. I'll stick to Great Clips
Old Mar 15th 2019, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph

There is s certain element of public safety involved. The razors and other sharp instruments they use could very easily transmit infectious diseases like hepatitis. I would like to know the person I was utilizing had at least what is considered the knowledge of the standard of care. Even If it means they have to be inconvenienced by training and taking a test.
Doesn't need 12 months of education though, surely? A public safety course would be enough, yet a hair stylist with many years experience has to jump through some arbitrary education hoops.

Bar tending school also kills me. How many of us pulled pints as a job without needing to spend money on formal training?

Education and licensing is a complete racket in the USA.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
Doesn't need 12 months of education though, surely? A public safety course would be enough, yet a hair stylist with many years experience has to jump through some arbitrary education hoops.

Bar tending school also kills me. How many of us pulled pints as a job without needing to spend money on formal training?

Education and licensing is a complete racket in the USA.
I won't disagree that education and licensing are a racket, but - you can't compare UK bartending to US bartending. In the UK, it's basically pull a pint or draw a 'shot' and add a cube of ice. In the US, it's "I'll have a dirty martini on the rocks with ... " or "a slow comfortable screw against the wall" https://www.diffordsguide.com/cockta...ainst-the-wall or some such nonsense. I'm always amazed at how a good bartender can pull all this together without consulting a book.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Manhattan.
Up.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

kirstyvw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christopherjames
Im going through this exact process at the moment and they dont make it easy. Before you leave the UK I would go to your college and get a reference letter stating the amount of hours you have completed. Then get references from as many employers and clients, and ongoing education facilities as you can. I also became a state registered hairdresser with the Hair Council in UK as that's basically the nearest we have to their "licence" and again more evidence to submit.
Send that in with every certificate you can along with the application and note what your "additional info" relates to on their application by number. Then you apply to the board via a license of endorsement.

They basically need to see you have done reciprocal amount of hours and have been a practising hairstylist. They might make you sit and take their written test as a formality (lots of info /examples of that online). It can take a while, I have spoken to several people out here who have moved state and it can take 4 weeks to a few months. Just get as much supporting info you can before you leave.

One other thing to note is that the industry is very different to UK. You can get a job at loads of places as you basically dont get paid. You get say 50% of what you make. So if you work a day and did 1 haircut for $60 you get $30 for that day. No salaries, sick pay, holidays etc. Or you can rent a chair or suite at places like Salon Republic. You need to build a clientele here and the co workers are very competitive as its all about money. I don't find the industry as pleasant as at home, so do lots of research before you take a job. You need somewhere with lots of footfall and walk ins ( not somewhere out of sight upstairs etc) Good Luck!
My husband got his license via this route as well and you're right - as many references and supporting documentation as you can get the better. He'd also done some courses with Tigi in the UK so he supplied those certificates. Just basically get your hands on as much as possible! And make sure that you photocopy your supporting documentation - the first time he applied for his it got "lost" in the depths of the state licensing department so he had to resubmit it all. He also found it very different to his experience in the UK - there he'd been doing everything - cutting, colouring, extensions etc but here (at least in NYC) he only cut and someone else used to colour. And like christopherjames says, he didn't find the industry pleasant at all. In fact he decided to retrain in a completely different industry after 4 years.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

As well as ending up with burned hair from a bad perm, burn from scalding hot water, chemicals in the eye, etc. I like seeing those licenses up on the wall by the cash register!
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

If there was a UK-trained hair stylist within a 50 mile vicinity of my home, I'd wait months and make a significant trek to see them. So if the OP does get themselves set up it might be worthwhile to target the British community to build up a client base. I also couldn't find any salon offering 'less chemical' hair dyes/products like I did in UK/Europe.

hahahaha @NYer...I once got offered loads of treatments and said yes not realising I'd have to pay for them. My bill + tip was $230 for a very simple all over colour and basic trim. The next time I went there I was ready to refuse all treatments. The girl asked me if I wanted the same as last time and I said yes assuming she meant same colour shade and trim. So she did all the exact same treatments as the last time without even asking. I was livid. I found a new hairdresser who did a shitty colour and trim for $150. She'd put colour on my hair and sit at the table at the back of the salon stuffing her face with the other hairdressers for an hour and then would spend 5 minutes cutting my hair and charge me 150 for it - I'm in Silicon Valley so the prices are inflated. In the end I decided to stop colouring my hair and embrace the grey because I couldn't find a suitable stylist (and the DIY colours really mess up your hair).
Old Mar 27th 2019, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

This has been one of the most unlikely but fascinating threads.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

'And blow-drying someone’s hair without that license is a crime punishable by up to six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.'

https://goldwaterinstitute.org/2019-...rying-a-crime/
Old Oct 29th 2019, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

christopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nice

Just wanted to add some info to this thread in case anyone else has to go what I went through.

It took 8 months to get my application looked at, I included a supporting letter from the British Hairdressing Council, client references, employer references, business evidence as well as qualifications and every additional industry course certificate completed (16 years qualified experience) . Illinois State board came back and said I had to sit the State exam. Here in Illinois its just a written test (multiple choice) which you need 75% to pass. In California its a written and a practical on a doll block. All states use the Milady Cosmetology book for a study guide (buy on amazon second hand cheaper). You will need to study as the USA curriculum is different, hair, skincare, nails, wigs, extensions, manicure, pedicure, diseases. The focus in the exam is on chemicals and disinfectant and the relevant bodies/laws etc.

10 months later and I can now "practice" - Its a very slow process and there is not a lot of information out there to help us. Just go over and above with evidence.