Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British hair stylist moving to Los Angeles

British hair stylist moving to Los Angeles

Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:48 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British hair stylist moving to Los Angeles

My wife was in the same situation. Had over 30 years of experience but had to have 1500 hours of college education in cosmetology. She basically ended up helping the tutor! When we changed states it was just a matter of notifying the new board and paying a fee.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Second how things seem to work, most are renting a station in a Salon or working out of their home.
The renting a station stuff is interesting because you really have to be careful who you rent from. I've followed my current hairdresser to three different locations in the last 6 years and one of her rentals was pretty much a mess: the guy who owned the salon simply didn't provide the services that were in the contract. You also have to check out the other hairdressers in the salon as you don't want to get stuck working with people who get bad reviews on Yelp etc as you would tend to get tarred with the same brush.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Renting seemed to be growing in popularity in the UK.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

christopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nice

Im going through this exact process at the moment and they dont make it easy. Before you leave the UK I would go to your college and get a reference letter stating the amount of hours you have completed. Then get references from as many employers and clients, and ongoing education facilities as you can. I also became a state registered hairdresser with the Hair Council in UK as that's basically the nearest we have to their "licence" and again more evidence to submit.
Send that in with every certificate you can along with the application and note what your "additional info" relates to on their application by number. Then you apply to the board via a license of endorsement.

They basically need to see you have done reciprocal amount of hours and have been a practising hairstylist. They might make you sit and take their written test as a formality (lots of info /examples of that online). It can take a while, I have spoken to several people out here who have moved state and it can take 4 weeks to a few months. Just get as much supporting info you can before you leave.

One other thing to note is that the industry is very different to UK. You can get a job at loads of places as you basically dont get paid. You get say 50% of what you make. So if you work a day and did 1 haircut for $60 you get $30 for that day. No salaries, sick pay, holidays etc. Or you can rent a chair or suite at places like Salon Republic. You need to build a clientele here and the co workers are very competitive as its all about money. I don't find the industry as pleasant as at home, so do lots of research before you take a job. You need somewhere with lots of footfall and walk ins ( not somewhere out of sight upstairs etc) Good Luck!

Last edited by christopherjames; Mar 13th 2019 at 6:40 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 8:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by christopherjames
Im going through this exact process at the moment and they dont make it easy. Before you leave the UK I would go to your college and get a reference letter stating the amount of hours you have completed. Then get references from as many employers and clients, and ongoing education facilities as you can. I also became a state registered hairdresser with the Hair Council in UK as that's basically the nearest we have to their "licence" and again more evidence to submit.
Send that in with every certificate you can along with the application and note what your "additional info" relates to on their application by number. Then you apply to the board via a license of endorsement.

They basically need to see you have done reciprocal amount of hours and have been a practising hairstylist. They might make you sit and take their written test as a formality (lots of info /examples of that online). It can take a while, I have spoken to several people out here who have moved state and it can take 4 weeks to a few months. Just get as much supporting info you can before you leave.

One other thing to note is that the industry is very different to UK. You can get a job at loads of places as you basically dont get paid. You get say 50% of what you make. So if you work a day and did 1 haircut for $60 you get $30 for that day. No salaries, sick pay, holidays etc. Or you can rent a chair or suite at places like Salon Republic. You need to build a clientele here and the co workers are very competitive as its all about money. I don't find the industry as pleasant as at home, so do lots of research before you take a job. You need somewhere with lots of footfall and walk ins ( not somewhere out of sight upstairs etc) Good Luck!
Good post.

Old Mar 13th 2019, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Land of the free

License to cut hair

Usual beauracratic USA
Old Mar 14th 2019, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christopherjames

I love that this forum has folk from all walks of life and careers. Thank you.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 1:25 am
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are required to have a cosmetology license to be allowed to offer services to the public in most, if not all, US states.

As with other occupations, whether a plumber, electrician, or a doctor, or anywhere in between, your vocational qualifications are worthless in the US and don't lend themselves to be translated or evaluated for equivalency.
Not really true a UK medical degree with USMLE essentially the same as a US one as they have to do USMLE also to license!
Old Mar 14th 2019, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoc
Not really true a UK medical degree with USMLE essentially the same as a US one as they have to do USMLE also to license!
A friend came to the US as a qualified doctor, actually an experienced anesthesiologist, with 20+ years experience - and had to go through a crap-load of course and exams …. to basically requalify as a houseman. And then another 3 years (or was it four years?) of supervised "probation" to look forward to before she gets back to where she was before she entered the US!
Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly feel like I won the lottery sometimes when I decided on computer software as my career! You don't need a degree to get a good job virtually anywhere in the world, and there's no licensing needed (though my degree was necessary to get through the US 'green card' process). I was considering Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, etc but chose computer software as my career somewhat by chance. I know you CAN get licensed if you want, but it has no bearing on employment. My 30 year-old nephew was a fairly successful bio-tech professional but he couldn't get any further in his career without getting a Masters. Instead, he took some 'crash courses' in computer programming, and after 6 months landed a programming job at over $100k. He's now interviewing dozens of candidates a week and they can't hire people fast enough. The best 'techie' I ever used in my career was a high-school dropout who taught himself by building gaming computers, moving on to networks and servers as he progressed. He's now running IT for a small company and making over $200k I still think it's a great career for people to consider.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I honestly feel like I won the lottery sometimes when I decided on computer software as my career! You don't need a degree to get a good job virtually anywhere in the world, and there's no licensing needed (though my degree was necessary to get through the US 'green card' process). I was considering Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, etc but chose computer software as my career somewhat by chance. I know you CAN get licensed if you want, but it has no bearing on employment. My 30 year-old nephew was a fairly successful bio-tech professional but he couldn't get any further in his career without getting a Masters. Instead, he took some 'crash courses' in computer programming, and after 6 months landed a programming job at over $100k. He's now interviewing dozens of candidates a week and they can't hire people fast enough. The best 'techie' I ever used in my career was a high-school dropout who taught himself by building gaming computers, moving on to networks and servers as he progressed. He's now running IT for a small company and making over $200k I still think it's a great career for people to consider.
I've realized that to decide on pursuing software engineering as a career path in the first place it subconsciously requires certain skills. Not all are cut out for it, but I am surprised to see not more people enter the field.

For example, out of my graduating class of high school (a few hundred) only one person is doing a related job.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
I've realized that to decide on pursuing software engineering as a career path in the first place it subconsciously requires certain skills. Not all are cut out for it, but I am surprised to see not more people enter the field.

For example, out of my graduating class of high school (a few hundred) only one person is doing a related job.
You may be able to help, this was over a beer conversation last Sunday and we are all non IT people.

I have seen during my work life jobs go. My Grandfather was a Coal Miner then Automotive, my Dad worked for Fords, I was in Commercial Insurance and during my time many of the companies I dealt with in the manufacturing side went under or moved overseas. Even in Insurance most of the back office functions initially moved out of the City and then went to India. And I have been out for some time so I assume it is even more prevalent.

GM closed down a factory last week, CNN interviewed a line worker who was earning $75k installing trim and had little hope of another job, guess she was 50 ish.

We were wondering why so many well paying IT jobs remain, much easier to move than an IT job than a Car Plant we thought. I do know a few people in IT and they seemingly work from home a lot, well why pay US wages at all?

Old Mar 14th 2019, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
Land of the free

License to cut hair

Usual beauracratic USA
There is s certain element of public safety involved. The razors and other sharp instruments they use could very easily transmit infectious diseases like hepatitis. I would like to know the person I was utilizing had at least what is considered the knowledge of the standard of care. Even If it means they have to be inconvenienced by training and taking a test.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ddsrph

There is s certain element of public safety involved. The razors and other sharp instruments they use could very easily transmit infectious diseases like hepatitis. I would like to know the person I was utilizing had at least what is considered the knowledge of the standard of care. Even If it means they have to be inconvenienced by training and taking a test.
Like the person flipping your burger.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The License Raj.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.