Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the world

British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the world

Old May 17th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I'm British only by passport!
We have noticed
Reg. FRank R.
Old May 17th 2008, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by Englishmum
So why are you posting on BE then?

You never have anything good to say about being British or anything about the UK - indeed you seem quite bitter.

I expect that you will soon be going along to the British consular office in Chicago, handing in your passport and making a formal declaration in front of an officer there to relinquish your British citizenship.......
Maybe Dean, would be kind enough to take it. I'll be the witness.
Dean, if there are any fees involved in Chicago, renouncing her Brutishness, we can have a whip around.
Frank R. Proud to be British
Old May 17th 2008, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try not to let the door hit my ass on the way out...
Old May 17th 2008, 6:01 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Can I buy it on eBay?
Old May 17th 2008, 6:20 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, please...

Chill out. Frussre, chicagojlo, we're all friends here.
Except for that Ray character. He's a horse's ***.
Break! Go to your corners.

Then go online and donate some money to help those poor souls in Myanmar and China. Look at the faces of those little kids and it will put things in perspective.

Peace out.
Old May 17th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Guys, please...

Chill out. Frussre, chicagojlo, we're all friends here.
Except for that Ray character. He's a horse's ***.
Break! Go to your corners.

Then go online and donate some money to help those poor souls in Myanmar and China. Look at the faces of those little kids and it will put things in perspective.

Peace out.
Well said. Then after you've done that, perhaps you would then reconsider registering with your nearest Consulate....

Dean
Old May 17th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

That surprises me greatly, it usually seems that us Brits expect the consulate to swoop in and rescue us from much tamer situations. It must have been the odd few who's mums don't call the minute the word tornado makes it onto the 9 o clock news
Actually, it was more than just the odd few. Many people keep in touch by phone, or email now. So family and friends don't necessarily have the correct address at hand, particularly if you have moved in recent years. When these means of communication "go down", then there is no way for them to contact each other. During Katrina, our staff provided satellite phone links so that calls could be made back to the UK from the worst hit areas. That proved to be a big help for a lot of people, and there were many very emotional moments experienced by our teams on the ground.

Many expats have lived in the US for years, have raised families, and to some extent have become American. There was a case of one woman who called her sister back in the UK about once a year. She had lived in Mississippi for years and had raised children who were all in their mid to late twenties. The sisters lost touch about three years before Hurricane Katrina struck. In the aftermath of the hurricane coverage on TV in the UK, her sister called the Foreign Office in London concerned about her sister’s welfare. Our teams were dispatched to the town where her sister lived. Eventually they located the family, but discovered that the sister had sadly passed away three years earlier. The American family didn't know the contact details of family in the UK, as their mother had been the only person to maintain contact. As time passed, the urgency to tell UK family members passed too. We had the unfortunate task of relaying the news back to the sister in the UK.

Whilst this case is extreme, it just underlines to a certain extent that we all have our ways of maintaining contact with family and friends in the UK. What would happen if these communication methods didn't work for a period of time? Do you have a plan? Who would inform your family if something happened to you?

We hope that the Locate system will at least help with some of the more basic enquiries and therefore free up our staff to devote more time to the more complex consular cases. We also encourage people to think about what they would do in the event of an emergency and who they would need to contact. For example, when a hurricane threatens, it is the easiest thing in the world to phone the UK and let family and friends know that you are planning to evacuate to a safe location. It's also a very good idea to call again and let them know you are safe. Of course, hurricanes, enable that opportunity, not all emergency situations afford that luxury.

Dean
Old May 17th 2008, 2:05 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
I'm with you on that one!!

nothing better than sitting out on the deck in the blazing sun, oily rag in hand
I just got a seven shot Remington 870 - useful for keeping tyrannical government in its place or fending off hoards of zombies; whichever comes first. We're skiing today so unfortunately will have to wait to give it a workout.

Also looking at either an AR-15 or a P90.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:32 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by British Consul
Well said. Then after you've done that, perhaps you would then reconsider registering with your nearest Consulate....

Dean
I clicked on the link and then looked at the consulates and their locations. Why does Colorado have one all to itself?
It looks like San Francisco is charged with serving many states.

What's the difference between a consulate and a consulate general?
Old May 17th 2008, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all

Same reason anyone else does who isn't British - it's a free country!

And as many people were so quick to point out to me not so long ago my daughter may want to live and work over there (or elsewhere in the EU) when she's old enough - otherwise I would gladly hand it in without any qualms

If this was BritishAppreciation.com you'd have a point. But it's not.
Pretty sure that your Daughter automatically qualifies for dual citizenship anyway, so just go and hand your passport in and renounce your Citizenship. Can't really understand your anti British mentality to be honest (because that's basically what it is)...you will always have that heritage whether you have a passport to prove it or not. Why make a big song and dance about giving it up? Pointless.

Also, why would you want to give up the opportunity to to have free roam of the USA and all of the EU? Just because of your narrow minded view that you must rid yourself of all Britishness. Doesn't make sense...
Old May 17th 2008, 6:14 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If their life in the US is so wonderful why are they posting here instead of enjoying their wonderful life.
I do but I also come on here for a laugh, some advice that may be relevant to me, and when I am working I know someone is always on here, to help me break the monotony, its more relevant to me than other forums. (I am on this just now as OH just popped in for a shower )

I can see both extreme points of view (whether anyone has any of them is another matter) 'I hate my life here I want to find somewhere I can come and moan freely to people that understand' or the other 'I left the UK cause life is better somewhere else and I want to get together with people that have gone through and understand that and even bemoan the UK sometimes'. (though I don't know if there are any of the latter)

Or I suspect a lot of people are in the middle 'I mainly like it here, but I miss home and stuff and only others who have gone through it will understand all the emotions.'
maybe this forum keeps them liking where they are?

I agree with Meaunxa its good to have a wide variety of expats and their experiences as that to me is a truer representation of expats in any country.

BE is really good in that respect one lot hasn't taken over the board and when/if they do it usually swings back.
Everyones opinion is needed good and bad And that would be the most help to any newbies thinking of coming here.
Rather than the 'I hate it/love it here so you will too'.

Maybe there will always be a group of people on BE we don't understand as we would do things differently (there is one for me) but thats good as I have learned the reasons from their posts and helps me to be more understanding.

But thats me I hate anything arguments even here thats all one-sided, I like diversity in thinking - seeing all sides. And thats partly why I came back here again as I saw that again

I know you do too this wasn't directed at you more just how I see BE.
Old May 17th 2008, 6:16 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
One thing that would be nice, poppy day, if you could send those out as it's nae on impossible to find around here and the consulate in Boston ran out before I even realised you could get them there, I did get one sent from San Fran from the brit foreign legion bloke I think in the end though I didn't expect it...and yes, I did donate money to the local vwf collection
Actually getting back on point - I agree (forget that till poppy day shows up)
Old May 17th 2008, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Maybe there will always be a group of people on BE we don't understand as we would do things differently (there is one for me) but thats good as I have learned the reasons from their posts and helps me to be more understanding.

But thats me I hate anything arguments even here thats all one-sided, I like diversity in thinking - seeing all sides. And thats partly why I came back here again as I saw that again
Why do you suppose that the Australia, New Zealand other country forums here are mostly positive reports about their new lives where annoyances are part of the adventure instead of an indictment on the character of the country and ALL its citizens, as happens with the US forums?

I find the Brits posting in the US area are much more critical and negative about things here than the Brits who have expatriated to other parts of the world.

The people who do post positively about the US experience are often argued with to the point that someone new might not post their positive US experience. It all seems to feed itself.
Old May 17th 2008, 8:29 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I just got a seven shot Remington 870 - useful for keeping tyrannical government in its place or fending off hoards of zombies; whichever comes first. We're skiing today so unfortunately will have to wait to give it a workout.

Also looking at either an AR-15 or a P90.
Just got a 5 shot 870 myself - planning on breaking (hopefully) some clays tomorrow morning.

p90 - oh yeah!! Rounds are abit wimpy, but who cares when you can put so many on target in not alot of time!! Plus you'll get a job as an extra on stargate!! Local gunshop has one in (p90s) for $2500 ish.
Old May 17th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Gordon Brown and the Labour government is having the same effect as the potato famine had in Ireland in the 19th century.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.