Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the world

British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the world

Old May 16th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by Englishmum
So why are you posting on BE then?

You never have anything good to say about being British or anything about the UK - indeed you seem quite bitter.

I expect that you will soon be going along to the British consular office in Chicago, handing in your passport and making a formal declaration in front of an officer there to relinquish your British citizenship.......
Same reason anyone else does who isn't British - it's a free country!

And as many people were so quick to point out to me not so long ago my daughter may want to live and work over there (or elsewhere in the EU) when she's old enough - otherwise I would gladly hand it in without any qualms

If this was BritishAppreciation.com you'd have a point. But it's not.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

So why are you posting on BE then?

You never have anything good to say about being British or anything about the UK - indeed you seem quite bitter.

I expect that you will soon be going along to the British consular office in Chicago, handing in your passport and making a formal declaration in front of an officer there to relinquish your British citizenship.......
And why not? There are some horribly one-sided and unhappy expats posting here who only ever have a negative comment. The US isn't all a bed of roses, but neither is the UK; why does it hurt anyone to have a balance of opinions?

Maybe someone who reads jlo's posts will be able to see their own situation in a more positive light.
Jlo's British Expat experience is as valid as anyone else's. My husband never intends to return to the UK either. Reading her posts helps me understand him better.
Old May 16th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Not so sure about that. We did in Singapore and when I contacted the British Consulate in NYC they told me that they weren't registering Brit citizens.

However, in the immediate aftermath of Sept 11th, they did encourage Brit citizens to register......this wasn't for very long though and it looks like all UK embassies and consulates are now encouraging registration once more.

I'm very cynical about this; I'm sure I read a year or so ago in the British newspapers that the govt. (actually come to think of it, Gordon Brown, then the Chancellor of the Exchequer) was considering taxing British citizens worldwide, just like American citizens are. I think they're testing the water to try and gauge just how many Brits are expats as they don't seem to have a clue how many Brits are resident overseas....

I always thought the registering with the Embassy thing was only for countries with travel advisories. Although I won't be registering unless forced to I think it's a good idea to get a clear number of how many Brits are living overseas, if for nothing else than to clear up all the tabloid crap about how overcrowded the UK is/how many people are really leaving in droves every day.

PS - thanks Meauxna, out of karma for today!
Old May 16th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
And Dean, I do realize that you're just a diplomat, not a government rightthinker responsible for the disturbing trends in British society. Just doing your job, passing on the info.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Not so sure about that. We did in Singapore and when I contacted the British Consulate in NYC they told me that they weren't registering Brit citizens.

However, in the immediate aftermath of Sept 11th, they did encourage Brit citizens to register......this wasn't for very long though and it looks like all UK embassies and consulates are now encouraging registration once more.

I'm very cynical about this; I'm sure I read a year or so ago in the British newspapers that the govt. (actually come to think of it, Gordon Brown, then the Chancellor of the Exchequer) was considering taxing British citizens worldwide, just like American citizens are. I think they're testing the water to try and gauge just how many Brits are expats as they don't seem to have a clue how many Brits are resident overseas....

Registration was the norm in some countries, but not in the USA. The new Locate system will replace the old paper based systems and will obviously allow us to be more efficient in managing the records. As Locate is global, we have also decided to use it in the USA. It's your choice if you register or not, and I'm not going to pressure anyone into registering (but to those who have already done so). The system will give me a better idea of the number of Brits in "my patch" at any one time but it won't be used for tax purposes as mentioned above. During Hurricane Katrina, we had quite a difficult time in locating British citizens in the affected areas. They didn't know we were looking for them, but the information given to us by concerned relatives in the UK was often incorrect and meant that our teams on the ground were working with patchy information at best. This new system will allow us to overcome that for those who register, but we recognise that not all people will choose to do so.

Hope this helps to explain the background.

Dean
Old May 16th 2008, 11:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I registered a user name to see what the fuss was about...you don't plonk in any info at that stage, so I don't see a problem with it.

You can update the details to say if your on holiday at some place or permanent and then asked to update it annually...
Old May 16th 2008, 11:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
Registration was the norm in some countries, but not in the USA. The new Locate system will replace the old paper based systems and will obviously allow us to be more efficient in managing the records. As Locate is global, we have also decided to use it in the USA. It's your choice if you register or not, and I'm not going to pressure anyone into registering (but to those who have already done so). The system will give me a better idea of the number of Brits in "my patch" at any one time but it won't be used for tax purposes as mentioned above. During Hurricane Katrina, we had quite a difficult time in locating British citizens in the affected areas. They didn't know we were looking for them, but the information given to us by concerned relatives in the UK was often incorrect and meant that our teams on the ground were working with patchy information at best. This new system will allow us to overcome that for those who register, but we recognise that not all people will choose to do so.

Hope this helps to explain the background.

Dean
One thing that would be nice, poppy day, if you could send those out as it's nae on impossible to find around here and the consulate in Boston ran out before I even realised you could get them there, I did get one sent from San Fran from the brit foreign legion bloke I think in the end though I didn't expect it...and yes, I did donate money to the local vwf collection
Old May 17th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

During Hurricane Katrina, we had quite a difficult time in locating British citizens in the affected areas. They didn't know we were looking for them
That surprises me greatly, it usually seems that us Brits expect the consulate to swoop in and rescue us from much tamer situations. It must have been the odd few who's mums don't call the minute the word tornado makes it onto the 9 o clock news
Old May 17th 2008, 1:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
If I had not been too cheap to get Dutch citizenship when I had the chance I would give up my British citizenship. I certainly feel like a hypocrit calling myself British.
I'm proud to be British and always will be.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
And why not? There are some horribly one-sided and unhappy expats posting here who only ever have a negative comment. The US isn't all a bed of roses, but neither is the UK; why does it hurt anyone to have a balance of opinions?

Maybe someone who reads jlo's posts will be able to see their own situation in a more positive light.
Jlo's British Expat experience is as valid as anyone else's. My husband never intends to return to the UK either. Reading her posts helps me understand him better.
I see your point but many of us ask ourselves why would someone spend time on BE if they haven't got anything positive to say about the UK or about Brits in general? If their life in the US is so wonderful why are they posting here instead of enjoying their wonderful life.

Chicagojlo....the above is not aimed at you. Every now and then we get posters who post nothing but negative posts about the UK...you do contribute to the BE community.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 17th 2008 at 1:56 am.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I have embraced my life here,I enjoy where I live and have some great friends
who are as close to me as family. We struggled here financially and emotionally for many years and many times regretted our decision to come here but as time rolled on it became our home and will probably always be our home now but even so I too am proud to be British, it's my heritage and will always be my "real" home.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:30 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Let me clarify; I didn't mean "just" a diplomat. That is a fantastic job - one I would love to have pursued if I had my time over - and deserves respect.

What I particularly like about you is that you have a good sense of humour.
I'm glad we have people like you in the service. Nice clarification too.

Great... now I'm sucking up to the Establishment.

Last edited by Octang Frye; May 17th 2008 at 1:35 am.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I see your point but many of us ask ourselves why would someone spend time on BE if they haven't got anything positive to say about the UK or about Brits in general? If their life in the US is so wonderful why are they posting here instead of enjoying their wonderful life.

Chicagojlo....the above is not aimed at you. Every now and then we get posters who post nothing but negative posts about the UK...you do contribute to the BE community.
I understand your point too. If I could call myself another nationality at this point I probably would, and perhaps people wouldn't take such offence to my point of view. But I would feel the same about not being able to identify myself as British regardless of my opinions about this country. I just don't have any ties to the place having spent my adult life overseas. I never felt at home there, I wanted to leave since my first trip abroad as a child. Ironically I feel quite at home here on BE, which of course is full of Brits!

And I often wonder the same myself, why people go on and on about how great their life was back in the UK and how crap it is here and yet they are still here. I know some are 'trapped' here but in most cases where there is a will there is a way. I feel like a lot of people cling on to their old inflated memories of the place that they once wanted to leave in an attempt to justify why things haven't gone great here.

Last edited by chicagojlo; May 17th 2008 at 2:36 am.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Same here!

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have embraced my life here,I enjoy where I live and have some great friends
who are as close to me as family. We struggled here financially and emotionally for many years and many times regretted our decision to come here but as time rolled on it became our home and will probably always be our home now but even so I too am proud to be British, it's my heritage and will always be my "real" home.
I know exactly how you feel, and, although we haven't been here as long as you have, I feel the same.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:03 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chicagojlo;6361031]That surprises me greatly, it usually seems that us Brits expect the consulate to swoop in and rescue us from much tamer situations. It must have been the odd few who's mums don't call the minute the word tornado makes it onto the 9 o clock news [/Q

I personally dont expect anything from the consulate, other than admin' assistance, at a price. Mind you, if you listen to certain quarters, I wasn't your usual Brit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.