Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British goodies at EPCOT!

British goodies at EPCOT!

Old Jul 15th 2006, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default British goodies at EPCOT!

Just got back from visiting my cousins in Florida, whilst there we took the opportunity to visit Disney World. Was making my way around the world showcase at EPCOT (man, talk about leg cramps waiting to happen!) when I happened on the British section. Whilst browsing the various shops, I happened on to a number of British food items on offer.

For starters there were various Brit teas, plus a number of other items which included McVitie's Hob Nobs, Digestibles and Cadbury's chocolate. The writing on the containers stated that they were made in the UK, so I assume these to be the real deal and not some pathetic immitation.

I loved the McVitie's slogan "the sign of a better biscuit"- although I think we call them cookies on this side of the pond. Well, at any rate, I decided to grab some Hob Nobs and Cadbury's chocolcate bars. I see what you mean about Cadbury's, awesome chocolate, now why can't Hershy learn to make chocolate like that. Hob Nobs, which are oat cookies (biscuits) with chocolate on top are positively, mind numbingly good!! So, I brought a generous supply home with me. I am munching one even as I type this.

There is no doubt that the US could take a lesson from the UK on how to make proper goodies.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 7:30 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British goodies at EPCOT!

Originally Posted by Jabba1
For starters there were various Brit teas, plus a number of other items which included McVitie's Hob Nobs, Digestibles and Cadbury's chocolate. The writing on the containers stated that they were made in the UK, so I assume these to be the real deal and not some pathetic immitation.
What were the prices like? My cousin works for Disney World and I could have her stock up for me.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What were the prices like? My cousin works for Disney World and I could have her stock up for me.
they are stupidly priced.....something like $4 for a crunchie
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:40 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Crazy isn't it?

Jabba, look for an Indian store near you. They stock great Brit choccies at way cheaper prices than the brit expat stores. My local sells all the great choccies including Crunchie, Aero Mint, Flake etc...for around $1.20 a piece.

Plus, I discovered they sell Cadbury Dream which is one of my fav choccies but it was called something else in S.A....woohoo.....
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I used to buy my Digestives at Cost Plus World Market,$3.99 a packet,however,my husband was about to buy them in the new Miejer's supermarket(for the same price) in Bloomington,IL,when a woman told him they sell them in Schnuck's supermarket,and they're cheaper!,he bought them,on sale ,in Schnuck's, for $1.99 a packet,since then they went back to their normal price of $2.29....they're not the McVities brand,they're Bourton's, but they look,and taste, exactly the same!,since then we buy six packets every time one of us goes to Bloomington.....we've got quite a little stash!!.........Sophia
Old Jul 15th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The prices weren't too user friendly I'm afraid, Snowbunny. 5$ for the Hob Nobs and Digestives, around 3$ for a Crunchie. I had one btw, chocolate covered honey comb, what a great idea for a candy bar, sure lived up to it's name.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
I see what you mean about Cadbury's, awesome chocolate, now why can't Hershy learn to make chocolate like that.
There must be a Hershey/Cadbury relationship as I bought some caramel bar or other in the US last week, it said "Cadbury's" on the wrapper but "made by Hershey" on the back. What's that about?!

Most of the Cadbury stuff in Canada is made here and tastes different, but if you eat enough you get used to the new flavour
Old Jul 15th 2006, 5:31 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
There must be a Hershey/Cadbury relationship as I bought some caramel bar or other in the US last week, it said "Cadbury's" on the wrapper but "made by Hershey" on the back. What's that about?!

Most of the Cadbury stuff in Canada is made here and tastes different, but if you eat enough you get used to the new flavour
You can buy Cadburys Fruit and Nut here, It's made by Hershey in PA, they even have a Theme Park, where you can go worship the great Chocolate God, it still tastes like doggy doo.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come back from UK- with a casefull of stuff McVities now make flavoured chocolate digestives..orange and mint! Delicious- they were 3 big packets for 2 pound in Sainsburys. Bit cheaper than what we pay here

Jabba- some Publix and Albertsons grocery stores (if there are any near you) do a British shelf with some goodies a bit cheaper than Epcot. They usually have choc Hobnobs ($3) and a variety of bars- flakes, ripples, bountys, crunchie etc at around $1.20.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:47 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

Generally speaking, if the wrapper looks like a cheap colour photocopy from the 1980s, then it's Hershey. If it looks all crisp and shiny, it's Cadbury although not necessarily UK Cadbury.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:49 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Our local publix supermarket sells pukka Cadburys stuff. Its reasonably priced as well. The crap in EPCOT is for Joe Schmo tourist and is priced to extract maximum dough for miminum effort as per every thing in the Disney/Whorelando metropolis of garbageville.