Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Aug 30th 2004, 3:26 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd

Originally Posted by DaveC
It's lucky that haggischomper doesn't seem to be around anymore to gloat.
Neither is our token Arsenal supporter. He seems to have gone the way of Scotch 03 as well. (If I may quote Delboy for a second) Matt - wherever you are - bonjour ol' son.

To the Footie Prediction League and about the teams:

Footie Prediction results for the weekend of August 28th/29th:
(Read by James Alexander Gordon)

Havant and Waterlooville 1 - St Albans City 1
Brentford 3 - Stockport County 0
Chelsea 2 - Southampton 1
Aberdeen 2 - Livingston 0
Man City 4 - Charlton 0
Norwich 1 - Arsenal 4
Bolton Wanders 1 - Liverpool 0
Motherwell 2 - Hearts 0
Nuneaton Borough 1 - Barrow 1
Oxford United 2 - Shrewsbury Town 0

So a "meh" day for the Hawks. In a basement somewhere in Michigan sawing and banging noise can be heard as well as mutterings of he'll get them - get them all..... Chelski win, but yet again not convincingly. Aberdeen wondering what the **** is going on, this wasn't in the script Man City caught a fluke and the Charlton keeper must have caught the flu, they promise it'll never happen again. Norwich have elected to been the premier league whipping boys, but managed to keep it to a 4 goal thrashing by the Arse. Bolton once again proving they are difficult team to beat at home and a loss for Lidipool that may cost them dearly at the end of the season. Meanwhile back in Midlothian each and every household is receiving a phone call from Jambo asking everyone what the **** happened there. Nuneaton and Barrow play to a dull draw and Oxford give those Shrews a seeing too.

Other results and nice one Blackburn, nice one son. Over the border it is things as usual with Celtic putting one over Rangers.

To the Prediction table... and we see that the Oxford lurker from the hyphen site (adeshell) takes top position with 35 points.
2nd to 5th places - all on 28 points are: CitySimon, jmbox, (the still unknown) Asocceration Footy and Manc

Midtable obscurity for Jambo (11th) ScousePete (13th) and DaveC (14th)

Looking over his shoulder at relegation is Nelkna (15th) but staring it in the face is MisBish.
There are others below, but I've concentrated on the people who have done predictions on all 35 games. I know g1ant forgot, but there's still a chance to catch up.
At the very bottom is the late Mattbutt. *removes hat*

- The EPL and SPL are taking a holiday next Saturday (I think they are having a long weekend in Paris or something) so next week's fixtures (Sept 4th) will be only 5 matches and feature lower and non-league teams, with the mighty Cwmbran making an appearance. (TNS are playing on Friday)

After that back to 10 teams and I'll be entering in all the fixtures for September for those who like to do all their predictions in one go.

Thank you for watching.
I'm Tony Gubba.
Goodnight.

Last edited by Webbie; Aug 30th 2004 at 3:36 am.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Football thread

Sir Bobby Robson has been released bt Newcastle United due to their bad start to the season. Another manager gone then.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ducatiandy
Sir Bobby Robson has been released bt Newcastle United due to their bad start to the season. Another manager gone then.
This was a shock, but no suprise. The writing has been on the wall with the sale of Woodgate and the dispute with Dyer.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 12:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Games today cos it's August bank holiday back home

Barclays Premiership
Man Utd v Everton 12:00
Portsmouth v Fulham 20:00

The Coca-Cola Football League Championship
Leicester City v Brighton 12:30
Wigan Athletic v Cardiff City 15:00
Burnley v Gillingham 15:00
Ipswich Town v Wolves 15:00
Preston v Rotherham Utd 15:00
Coventry City v West Ham Utd 19:45
Stoke City v Derby County 19:45
Plymouth v Nottm Forest 20:00

Coca-Cola Football League One
Bristol City v Brentford 15:00
Chesterfield v Port Vale 15:00
Doncaster v Huddersfield 15:00
Hartlepool v Colchester 15:00
Luton Town v Bournemouth 15:00
Milton Keynes v Torquay United 15:00
Peterborough v Blackpool 15:00
Sheff Wed v Oldham 15:00
Stockport v Tranmere 15:00
Walsall v Swindon Town 15:00
Wrexham v Barnsley 15:00

Coca-Cola Football League Two
Boston United v Chester 15:00
Bury v Kidderminster 15:00
Darlington v Cambridge Utd 15:00
Leyton Orient v Rochdale 15:00
Mansfield Town v Yeovil 15:00
Notts County v Oxford Utd 15:00
Rushden v Bristol Rovers 15:00
Scunthorpe Utd v Northampton 15:00
Southend Utd v Macclesfield 15:00
Swansea City v Lincoln City 15:00
Wycombe v Grimsby Town 15:00

Nationwide Conference
Woking v Aldershot 12:00
Burton Albion v Scarborough 15:00
Canvey Island v Barnet 15:00
Crawley Town v Dag and Red 15:00
Farnborough v Exeter City 15:00
Forest Green v Gravesend & N 15:00
Halifax Town v Carlisle United 15:00
Morecambe v Leigh RMI 15:00
Northwich v Hereford United 15:00
Stevenage v Tamworth 15:00

No Scottish fixtures though from what I can see.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 1:05 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Games today cos it's August bank holiday back home

Barclays Premiership
Man Utd v Everton 12:00

No Scottish fixtures though from what I can see.
We're not into that Bank Holiday footie, even if it is a UK wide Bank Holiday today - which I doubt. I was confused why Fox Sports were advertising the above fixture at such an early time, cheers for clearing that up.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2nd

[QUOTE=Webbie]Neither is our token Arsenal supporter. He seems to have gone the way of Scotch 03 as well. (If I may quote Delboy for a second) Matt - wherever you are - bonjour ol' son.

At the very bottom is the late Mattbutt. *removes hat*

QUOTE]

Im back!

I was asked to go back to the UK to work for two weeks (will be going back to blighty permanently from November) which basicaly meant I could only use work internet which was locked down like alcatraz, everything except the BBC came up as banned content so I couldnt get on to do my thing.

I will be making a late surge in the prediction league if I havent been booted out already!!

On the plus side, It also meant I was able to see arsenal. Looking v.v.v.good. Though they are yet to meet some decent competition.

Hope I havent missed too much.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveC
We're not into that Bank Holiday footie, even if it is a UK wide Bank Holiday today - which I doubt. I was confused why Fox Sports were advertising the above fixture at such an early time, cheers for clearing that up.

Correct, Dave it is only a Bank Holiday in England, not Scotland Wales or Ireland. This is in lieu of our September weekend.

BTW: ManU 0 Everton 0
Old Aug 30th 2004, 2:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie
News item:
Oh how the mighty have fallen Webbie.

Bet your ass Oxford didn't pay Portsmouth squillions.

GOAL: Notts County 0-1 Oxford Utd: L Bradbury (pen 16)
Old Aug 30th 2004, 5:50 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

From The Real Madrid webpage,

Michael Owen made his official debut with the Real jersey in the 23rd minute substituting injured Raúl, who got a goal disallowed just ten minutes earlier for a previous foul on Niño.

The Welsh player looked very keen when he came on, and just ten minutes later, in the 33rd, he had the best chance of his team when he headed the ball from a perfect centre pass by Figo.

http://www.realmadrid.com/web_realma...subsec=0&esp=1

Have I missed something here....
Old Aug 30th 2004, 5:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how the mighty have fallen Webbie.

Bet your ass Oxford didn't pay Portsmouth squillions.

GOAL: Notts County 0-1 Oxford Utd: L Bradbury (pen 16)
Odd game for you to be following
Old Aug 30th 2004, 6:11 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Bob
Odd game for you to be following
well in the prediction league ya never know what games are gonna come up, like the bookies, I have to keep an eye on the form.

Last edited by Manc; Aug 30th 2004 at 7:09 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 6:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

well in the prediction ya never know what games are gonna come up, like the bookies, I have to keep an eye on the form.
I just hope they keep it up...finally have a few players to hold off the sick winter season
Old Aug 30th 2004, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ducatiandy
Its a bit of a joke really, its not like he had a bad season last year, you cant tell how the rest of the season will go a few games in...sad that they sack the managers like this, makes you wonder how much involvement they actualy have in the team?!
Old Aug 31st 2004, 3:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A bit of good news, Dentist rand to cancel long standing appointment which unfortunately coincided with the Coventry - West Ham game. Judging by the commentary it was a cracking game with some good goals, recorder set for Sky Sports 5am broadcast.

But if he had not cancelled, probably wanted to listen to the match as well, could somebody enlighten me on an easy way to record it. I have an issue on Saturday as well as I usually can only listen to the First Half and missed most of the action against Forest consequently.

I use the 'World" service that looks like it is linked to NTL, well it is free if you have there Broadband.

Spurs should do well with Davenport. Announced after the Match that he was going for up to 3 million, depends on appearances.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mattbutt
Its a bit of a joke really, its not like he had a bad season last year, you cant tell how the rest of the season will go a few games in...sad that they sack the managers like this, makes you wonder how much involvement they actualy have in the team?!
When Sturrock was sacked at Scumhampton they claimed that the press had a lot to do with him being sacked. The question is, who actually runs the club ? Directors or Fleet Street ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.